needed wattage

Thread: needed wattage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

needed wattage

I have tried Googling, but I'm not even sure how to Google this, but are there calculators that will tell you what power output is needed to do X performance over Y segment (ie, what is required to take a KOM)?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I would imagine there are but you'd need a variety of inputs to calculate the power needed and some of them wouldn't be so easy to figure out.

Weight would be no problem.
    Frontal area and thus Cd would be.
    Rolling resistance, not sure how you'd do that accurately.
    Drivetrain friction, which like rolling resistance would be minimal.

Hopefully someone replies w/ more info than I have.
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    I have tried Googling
    Really? Your googlefu is weak.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...eed+calculator

There's a sh!t ton of them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I have tried Googling, but I'm not even sure how to Google this, but are there calculators that will tell you what power output is needed to do X performance over Y segment (ie, what is required to take a KOM)?
    The most reputable and accurate is analyticcycling.com. There are some REALLY inaccurate calculators out there, so stick with this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    They calc all that on strava, what's the point. That info is not going to really help.

I was thinking of attacking a KOM soon, I did a pre ride today to decide where to 'use the juice", I got to control the whole climb and not blow up on the pitchups.
    BANNED

Neophyte
    Going to have to agree with tlg a bit on this one, Google brings up some decent results.

To be honest, for me Bike Calculator has been good enough to estimate needed effort vs time goals on some big climbs.

I'm interested to check out analyticcycling.com.

Also, what duriel said is true, if you're trying to improve on something you've done a bunch of times, check your Strava power estimates. If you put in your rider weight and bike weight correctly, it shouldn't be too far off although it won't account for any strong winds on the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    They calc all that on strava, what's the point.
    It seems to me (IIRC) that Strava data has been shown to be only roughly correct. That said, you certainly can use it compare two riders or two rides, but the absolute numbers are not that great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Maybe my StravaFu is weak, but I don't see where it tells you what wattage is needed to do a certain performance. I see where Strava will estimate your power, but what if I want to increase my PR by 1:00 min or something? How much more wattage (all else being equal) would be required?

Also, I know there are calculators to tell you what speed at what weight goes with what power. I am looking for that to be integrated into specific segments. I understand certain assumptions will need to be made, but does this calculator exist?

Neophyte
    Both the calculators suggested so far allow you to input average grade over selected distance. Are you looking for more than that?

For instance, on bike calculator (Bike Calculator) you put in:
    150 lbs rider
    20 lbs bike
    6% grade
    0 headwind blank for simplicity
    2 miles distance
    whatever estimated temperature / starting elevation, say 300 ft

Say that your current time is 10 minutes, put that in and the Power/Velocity values will jump to ~314 watts / 12 mph. You want to improve by 1 minute, you move the red slider button until time shows 9 minutes... power/velocity will display 358 watts / 13.3 mph. Estimate is that you're currently averaging 314 watts up that hill, and you need to up it to 358 to achieve your time goal.

This isn't so fancy that you can use it to completely analyze a segment, but as long as you take the distance and avg grade it should help. It definitely helped me estimate efforts for a big hill climb race I participated in.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Probably need to hire a mathematics/data/programmer to develop what you are looking for.
    Even if you know what power you need, what are you going to do with that? You still have to make that power, which obviously you can't.
    BANNED

Pack Fodder.
    https://www.bestbikesplit.com/
    Why does it matter? Do your best. If you want to do better, train right, recover right, eat right, and pick the right parents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe my StravaFu is weak, but I don't see where it tells you what wattage is needed to do a certain performance. I see where Strava will estimate your power, but what if I want to increase my PR by 1:00 min or something? How much more wattage (all else being equal) would be required?

Also, I know there are calculators to tell you what speed at what weight goes with what power. I am looking for that to be integrated into specific segments. I understand certain assumptions will need to be made, but does this calculator exist?
    If you want to go 10% faster, here are some really rough estimates of the required additional power:

1) 10% on steep climbs
    2) 20% on moderate climbs, rolling terrain, etc
    3) 30% on the flats