In never ends in Southeast Virginia. . .
    banned
    Apr 2008

In never ends in Southeast Virginia. . .

banned
    Hopefully someone will have the brains to set up a surveillance camera under a lamp pole, run it 24/7 to catch these people dumping tacks at night. It's a simple thing to do, all you need to get is a license plate number. The police are likely too lazy to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Man! Thats rotten. Probably some FAT truck driving,beer swilling,moron with low self esteem. No, just kidding. Hate to have that happen in my neck of the woods. BTW, whats up with the guy leading the pack, layed out in his TT bars??

banned
    Apr 2008

Yea, I don't get that. .

Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    BTW, whats up with the guy leading the pack, layed out in his TT bars??
    Some local team.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
    Man! Thats rotten. Probably some FAT truck driving,beer swilling,moron with low self esteem.
    More likely some malicious teenage boys. An adult can't be that stupid or cowardly, it takes a kid. Last year some brats put a snake in every mailbox on the next block from me. The female Postal carrier was afraid to open my mailbox thinking a snake was inside. They didn't do it on my block, probably ran out of snakes.

myk
    Road-kill possum zombie
    I heard about this on the news(FM99) this morning. Really sucks that someone would do this.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    More likely some malicious teenage boys. An adult can't be that stupid or cowardly, it takes a kid. Last year some brats put a snake in every mailbox on the next block from me. The female Postal carrier was afraid to open my mailbox thinking a snake was inside. They didn't do it on my block, probably ran out of snakes.
    Every time I think and adult is incapable of something as childish as this, I just go search my local news outlet and refresh my lack of faith in humanity.

I certainly would not rule out an adult.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Read the comments on this and similar articles. A majority of drivers think we we have no right to be on the road and, to them, this justifies all manner of behavior.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    This really sucks, hope it doesn't start a trend of other pranks. I set my clock for 6am that Saturday morning and woke up with a nasty headache and slep it off for few more hours. My plan was to do this route that morning. I saved myself from buying new tubes. I'm a noob anyways haven't riden this route yet.

Milk was a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Read the comments on this and similar articles. A majority of drivers think we we have no right to be on the road and, to them, this justifies all manner of behavior.
    Yeah those comments are pretty bad. I'm glad I live where I do, because cycling is for the most part accepted by drivers around here, and there is pretty good bike lane infrastructure. I don't know if I could ride in a place where so many people resented your presence on "their roads" and had no qualms about scaring you with their cars.

banned
    Apr 2008

There are some nice places to ride. .

Quote Originally Posted by sponger78 View Post
    This really sucks, hope it doesn't start a trend of other pranks. I set my clock for 6am that Saturday morning and woke up with a nasty headache and slep it off for few more hours. My plan was to do this route that morning. I saved myself from buying new tubes. I'm a noob anyways haven't riden this route yet.

To ride out there. Don't let the comments distract or scare you. Most of of those jackasses are all talk. In 15+ years plus riding in the area, I have only rarely been harassed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QQUIKM3 View Post

To ride out there. Don't let the comments distract or scare you. Most of of those jackasses are all talk. In 15+ years plus riding in the area, I have only rarely been harassed.
    I'm not by all means, and one of the comments talked about " Tour de Damneck". Which I thought was funny because I love riding that road do to the fact it has a bike lane. Most of the drivers give room, but once in a while there is that one who just hates us all. I have had one serious close call though, as I signal to turn left on to a road, and the lady waiting to turn left from that road I'm turning decides to go and almost clips my rear tire. She saw me in time to correct after I corrected. She freaked out, I just looked at her and kept going. There was no point in to curse or what not, because I could tell she knew she was wrong by her reaction and it took her a while to get going again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I'm not by all means, and one of the comments talked about " Tour de Damneck". Which I thought was funny because I love riding that road do to the fact it has a bike lane.
    I ride Dam Neck too, but generally stick to the MUT. I was pretty excited when they took out some of the curbs on Dam Neck and painted those lanes. I figured after painting them they'd soon add the bike icons in the lanes. When it didn't happen I contacted someone from the city, who said the lanes were mistakenly painted too narrow to designate them as bike lanes. Only in Virginia Beach.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

future don't look all that rosy...

Yesterday's paper had an editorial that addressed the tacks in the road issue, and the writer called for better support of cyclists. In the article, however, she stated that the woman who is City Council's liaison to the cycling community, Barb Henley, lives in Pungo, where the tacks were found. She has resisted widening the very narrow roads, as that would subtract from the "rural nature" of the area. Widening the roads would not only make it safer for cyclists but also for tractors and other farm equipment, pedestrians, and all drivers. They just don't get it in these parts....

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

They caught him

An email I received to day.

"Just got back from riding and I was stopped by a detective on the ride
    while waiting at the Municipal Center for friends. They caught the
    guy that put down the tacks on the ride that gave all of us flats last
    weekend. He wanted to get all the riders that had damage to go after
    this guy. He gave me his card. Good news the residence of Pungo
    helped catch the guy. Nice to hear that the people who live in the
    area don't have issues with the cyclists.

Email him and give him your information

DETECTIVE

D. FORTIN

email: [email protected]"
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    SWEET! Did he say who it was?

banned
    Apr 2008

Would love to know. . .

SWEET! Did he say who it was?
    The needs some "corrective" measures taken. Truck tires aren't too cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I'm sure some members of DevGru live in that area. Wouldn't want to piss them off!

banned
    Apr 2008

What. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermiss View Post
    I'm sure some members of DevGru live in that area. Wouldn't want to piss them off!
    the heck is "DevGru"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QQUIKM3 View Post
    the heck is "DevGru"?
    This is the common abbreviation for "Development Group". This is the NAVSPECWAR Tier 1 Operator Team formerly known as Seal Team 6.