Thread: New Bike Day

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018

New Bike Day

Hi all. I'm new to the forums, but you've likely seen the video of me getting struck by a texting police officer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSOEtzWPlU
    I'm still waiting to hear if he will get charged with anything, but on a positive note I've finally settled the property damage claim with their insurance company. With that money I replaced my old bike with a 2019 Giant Propel Advanced Pro Disc. It's a really sweet bike, and the technology has come a long way in the past several years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you're ok, but certainly waaaaay down on the list of ways to get a new bike!!!!

Congratz! Now quit posting and get out and RIDE!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Sweet ride. Can't believe that video of the cop hitting you. Glad everything is going well for you. Enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would sue the government, you have him on tape saying it is his fault. What an idiot, at least he didn't shoot you. Are you black?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I would sue the government, you have him on tape saying it is his fault. What an idiot, at least he didn't shoot you. Are you black?
    Well I have a lawyer, but even then the police department's insurance company (EMC/Emcasco) is notoriously difficult. They shorted me about $1100 for my property damage claim. Getting the remainder is not as simple as suing them since the earliest we would get a court date is late 2019. If that wasn't bad enough, try convincing a jury full of mullets who don't bike to award X for a bike, carbon wheels, pedals, and a new camera.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least he stopped and didn't try to cover it up.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I can't believe their insurance company would even consider shorting your claim. Especially for such a small amount. Did you sign a medical release? If I were them, I'd be bending over backwards to make you whole/go away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    WOW, that video was incredible... glad your not seriously hurt!

That vehicle could easily taken your life, as for the short fall of funds, I would still pursue the claim even if took several years.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Saw that video a while back. I feel for both of you. You, for the obvious reasons! The cop too - which is a very unpopular opinion in the cycling world - because we expect these guys to be perfect, e.g. Talk on the radio a phone, keep an eye on up to three monitors... all while driving like Toretto in the Fast & Furious. Cops need better hands-free/voice tech! Clearly!

Glad you're okay. And, congrats on the sweet new ride!