• 07-14-2019
    sramred
    New Bike Day: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod Disc Dura Ace [2018]
    Just picked up this bad boy today! Got a deal i couldn't resist on a bnib bike with the color and specs i liked. I'm coming from a 2010 Look 566 w/ Sram Red.

I'll be quickly throwing on some GP4000s + some seatpost,saddle,handlebar adjustments over the next few weeks once i put some miles on and see what works for me.

Few things:
    -Any feedback on the stock Hollowgram Carbon Wheelset? Are they built well? Do they spin good? I've read that the OEM is stans no-tubes w/ DT spokes?
    -For those who've used Sram long term that switched to Shimano, any tips? How do you guys like it?

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...714_221342.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...714_172601.jpg

sorry about the random sloppy pic, i'll get some nice ones on my next ride.
  • 07-14-2019
    bmach
    Nice bike. I switched from 4000 to 5000tl i like the change. As far switching to Shimano I started with them and went to Sram, never had a problem. I still use both and so far never forgot which one I was riding.
  • 07-18-2019
    sramred
    put about 60 miles on the bike over the last 4 days. Got some Supersonics + Gp5000s coming and Deda traforato bar tape. Garmin 520 Plus will also be here soon
  • 07-19-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Few things:
    -Any feedback on the stock Hollowgram Carbon Wheelset? Are they built well? Do they spin good?

Yea they're pretty decent. No problems with mine. Although I mostly run my deeper section wheels. But the 35mm depth is a nice compromise and does well in cross winds.

Quote:

I've read that the OEM is stans no-tubes w/ DT spokes?
    No I don't believe so. Cannondale is big on developing their own products. Their carbon experience far exceeds Stans. Stans is only recently dabbling in the carbon world. All their carbon rims are shallow (<20mm), nothing aero.

Quote:

-For those who've used Sram long term that switched to Shimano, any tips? How do you guys like it?
    You get use to either. You'll have it down in a couple of rides.

People have their preference. I have multiple Shimano bikes, but my previous Supersix was Sram Red. I found it tolerable, but never as nice as Shimano. I never liked the single paddle design. Particularly, if in the large cog (and not realizing it) and go to shift larger, it'll shift down on you. Which sucks on a hill. With Shimano it will just dead click and do nothing.

One advantage of Sram is their shift cables last longer. Plan on changing Shimano cables every 3-5k miles.
  • 07-19-2019
    OldZaskar
    Quote:

I'm convinced SRAM pushes electronic shifting because their mechanical shifters suck that bad. Shimano - 6800 and newer - is damn near perfect. It's crisp, quick with none of those SRAMesque half-shifts. You're going to love your new ride!
  • 07-19-2019
    sramred
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea they're pretty decent. No problems with mine. Although I mostly run my deeper section wheels. But the 35mm depth is a nice compromise and does well in cross winds.

No I don't believe so. Cannondale is big on developing their own products. Their carbon experience far exceeds Stans. Stans is only recently dabbling in the carbon world. All their carbon rims are shallow (<20mm), nothing aero.

People have their preference. I have multiple Shimano bikes, but my previous Supersix was Sram Red. I found it tolerable, but never as nice as Shimano. I never liked the single paddle design. Particularly, if in the large cog (and not realizing it) and go to shift larger, it'll shift down on you. Which sucks on a hill. With Shimano it will just dead click and do nothing.

One advantage of Sram is their shift cables last longer. Plan on changing Shimano cables every 3-5k miles.

Oh, i was decently sure Stans made their rim for <2018 models and saw it labeled on their rim. I haven't taken my tires off yet to check, waiting for the tires to come.

Which model / year hollowgram wheelset do you have? doesn't it not roll as freely (it spins nowhere near as long when the bike is flipped or on a stand. (no weight on it)
    Mines also loud as hell, but thats a personal preference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I'm convinced SRAM pushes electronic shifting because their mechanical shifters suck that bad. Shimano - 6800 and newer - is damn near perfect. It's crisp, quick with none of those SRAMesque half-shifts. You're going to love your new ride!

Thats absolutely not true. My last (2011) Sram Red groupset was nothing short of amazing. It was the lightest groupset on the market. It was cheaper than DA. Cranks were similarly as stiff, it shifted faster than DA (think: you can change gears as fast as you can push a lever, shifts were more reassuring with a "pop". They were also first to be able to sweep 3 gears with the right shifter.
    My DA from 2018 is going good so far, but even after 10 years does not shift as fast. Smoother, yes.
  • 07-19-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

Oh, i was decently sure Stans made their rim for <2018 models and saw it labeled on their rim. I haven't taken my tires off yet to check, waiting for the tires to come.

Which model / year hollowgram wheelset do you have?

Mine are 2017 rim brake.

Ok, found this. Say's licensed by Stan's.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/23...05_600x600.jpg

Some posts speculating on another forum:
    *I have tried to find more information on the wheels as well, however Internet does not offer much. The only thing I know is at least the rims are produced by Stan's NoTubes. Simply the rims state 'licensed by Stan's NoTubes' on the newer versions. The spokes are DT Swiss, so it still seems Cannondale is building the wheels themselves from different components.

*You are talking about the disc version that has rims made by NoTubes, not the rim brake version, they are both 35mm tall carbon clinchers but that's pretty much it, completely different wheelsets although hubs are both made by Formula...

The rim brake version has rims that were designed by Cannondale and they are manufactured for them in Taiwan by... Cannondale didn't want to share that with me although reading between the lines, I think I know who...

And this:
    Cannondale SuperSix Evo HM Disc review | Cyclingnews.com
    Cannondale's Hollowgram Si wheelset carbon rims come with Stan's No Tubes rim tape.

My guess is the rims are not made by Stan's, but Cannondale was just licensing Stan's rim tape. It seems really odd to design their own rim brake and then have Stan's create a matching disc rim.

Quote:

doesn't it not roll as freely (it spins nowhere near as long when the bike is flipped or on a stand. (no weight on it)
    I never pay attention to how long my wheels spin on the bike. It means absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Quote:

My last (2011) Sram Red groupset was nothing short of amazing. .... it shifted faster than DA (think: you can change gears as fast as you can push a lever, shifts were more reassuring with a "pop".
    Have you timed it? I doubt you could find a measurable difference without electronic timing equipment measuring milliseconds. You probably perceive it faster from the "popping" sound.
    I always 'felt' Sram was slower shifting to larger cog due to the extra long lever throw to overcome the down click.
  • 07-19-2019
    OldZaskar
    Quote:

Thats absolutely not true. My last (2011) Sram Red groupset was nothing short of amazing. It was the lightest groupset on the market. It was cheaper than DA. Cranks were similarly as stiff, it shifted faster than DA (think: you can change gears as fast as you can push a lever, shifts were more reassuring with a "pop". They were also first to be able to sweep 3 gears with the right shifter.
    My DA from 2018 is going good so far, but even after 10 years does not shift as fast. Smoother, yes.

Oh, I love how the SRAM shifts "down" the cassette - "POP" "POP" - it's the other direction that nets those half-shifts.

The SRAM vs Shimano thing is no different from Ford vs Chevy, Cats vs Dogs (SRAM is definitely the cat in that analogy) - ya just gotta go with the one you like.

I have a set of those Hollowgram wheels. Before you head out on the road, make sure you're able to remove and replace a tire. Mine require a bead jack - not a tire iron, a bead jack. I've had friends try and the guys at the shop. Jack required. Great wheels otherwise.
  • 07-20-2019
    sramred
    Quote:

Quote:

Mine are 2017 rim brake.

Ok, found this. Say's licensed by Stan's.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/23...05_600x600.jpg

Some posts speculating on another forum:
    *I have tried to find more information on the wheels as well, however Internet does not offer much. The only thing I know is at least the rims are produced by Stan's NoTubes. Simply the rims state 'licensed by Stan's NoTubes' on the newer versions. The spokes are DT Swiss, so it still seems Cannondale is building the wheels themselves from different components.

*You are talking about the disc version that has rims made by NoTubes, not the rim brake version, they are both 35mm tall carbon clinchers but that's pretty much it, completely different wheelsets although hubs are both made by Formula...

The rim brake version has rims that were designed by Cannondale and they are manufactured for them in Taiwan by... Cannondale didn't want to share that with me although reading between the lines, I think I know who...

And this:
    Cannondale SuperSix Evo HM Disc review | Cyclingnews.com
    Cannondale's Hollowgram Si wheelset carbon rims come with Stan's No Tubes rim tape.

My guess is the rims are not made by Stan's, but Cannondale was just licensing Stan's rim tape. It seems really odd to design their own rim brake and then have Stan's create a matching disc rim.

I never pay attention to how long my wheels spin on the bike. It means absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Have you timed it? I doubt you could find a measurable difference without electronic timing equipment measuring milliseconds. You probably perceive it faster from the "popping" sound.
    I always 'felt' Sram was slower shifting to larger cog due to the extra long lever throw to overcome the down click.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Oh, I love how the SRAM shifts "down" the cassette - "POP" "POP" - it's the other direction that nets those half-shifts.

The SRAM vs Shimano thing is no different from Ford vs Chevy, Cats vs Dogs (SRAM is definitely the cat in that analogy) - ya just gotta go with the one you like.

I have a set of those Hollowgram wheels. Before you head out on the road, make sure you're able to remove and replace a tire. Mine require a bead jack - not a tire iron, a bead jack. I've had friends try and the guys at the shop. Jack required. Great wheels otherwise.

Upon more riding, the "upshifts" (to easier gears in the rear derailer) is faster with the DA since the shift is done as the lever is being pushed in. The "downshift" (to harder gears in the rear) is slower than Sram because the shift is done after the lever is pushed in, then released.

With sram its simply vice versa, the upshift is not quite as fast (although its still very fast) since it shifted after you "swept" the lever in past the first position. the downshift was fast because all it required was a 1cm click of the paddle.
  • 07-21-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

More like 1500-2000 miles for me. I guess it depends how much you shift.
  • 07-21-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Upon more riding, the "upshifts" (to easier gears in the rear derailer) is faster with the DA since the shift is done as the lever is being pushed in. The "downshift" (to harder gears in the rear) is slower than Sram because the shift is done after the lever is pushed in, then released.

With sram its simply vice versa, the upshift is not quite as fast (although its still very fast) since it shifted after you "swept" the lever in past the first position. the downshift was fast because all it required was a 1cm click of the paddle.

Upshifts are down the cassette to higher gears and obviously downshifts are up the cassette to lower gears.

'Bad boy'? Arrggghhh...at least you didn't say 'I pulled the trigger on this bad boy'...
  • 07-21-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Upshifts are down the cassette to higher gears and obviously downshifts are up the cassette to lower gears.

'Bad boy'? Arrggghhh...at least you didn't say 'I pulled the trigger on this bad boy'...

At least he didn't say "I pulled the trigger on this br-.............. oh, never mind!
  • 07-22-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

And you've timed this?