New bike: disc brakes or rim brakes. Can't decide.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

New bike: disc brakes or rim brakes. Can't decide.

Buying a new road bike very soon and I am conflicted on the whole disc brake thing. I love disc brakes on my MTN bikes, but I have never felt like I needed them on my road bike. However I am MTN biker first and road biker second. I usually get a new MTN bike every two to three seasons but my road bike will last much longer than that. Probably 5 to 8 years easily. If I plan on keeping this bike that long would I be making a mistake not getting disc brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    you don't need discs. but you gotta have them cause they're there. Like Di2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I agree. But in say 4 to 5 years will I be hampered trying to replace my groupset or wheels if I have a frame that is not disc compatible?

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    I agree. But in say 4 to 5 years will I be hampered trying to replace my groupset or wheels if I have a frame that is not disc compatible?
    get what you want, right now.

imo, let the disc brake road bike setup mature, then reassess in 5 years.

for me, no way would I be caught on a disc equipped roadie, but that's me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    get what you want, right now.
    +1

In five years you might be dead and the disc brake question will be of little worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yay! I get to chime in at the beginning of a disc-vs-rim slugfest! I usually find the thread after a hundred others have.

Anyway, having ridden discs, would you be content not having them for eight years (or however long 'till you get the next new bike)? That being said, it seems like development is still occurring, so who knows what changes there'll be upcoming in disc offerings? Like Shimano recently releasing Tiagra-level hydro levers. Or mount and axle standards changing.

K, maybe you should buy the bike you want now, and if you change your mind, just buy another new one. N+1 is a perfectly acceptable justification to spend money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    Yay! I get to chime in at the beginning of a disc-vs-rim slugfest! I usually find the thread after a hundred others have.

Anyway, having ridden discs, would you be content not having them for eight years (or however long 'till you get the next new bike)? That being said, it seems like development is still occurring, so who knows what changes there'll be upcoming in disc offerings? Like Shimano recently releasing Tiagra-level hydro levers. Or mount and axle standards changing.

K, maybe you should buy the bike you want now, and if you change your mind, just buy another new one. N+1 is a perfectly acceptable justification to spend money.
    have to agree. they might get a lot better in a few years

and they do have 105 level 11sp hydro levers. I just bought some. Bloody heavy buggers. amazingly heavy. luckily just for my gravel beater

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Buying a new road bike very soon and I am conflicted on the whole disc brake thing. I love disc brakes on my MTN bikes, but I have never felt like I needed them on my road bike. However I am MTN biker first and road biker second. I usually get a new MTN bike every two to three seasons but my road bike will last much longer than that. Probably 5 to 8 years easily. If I plan on keeping this bike that long would I be making a mistake not getting disc brakes?
    I wish I had your cash..................new mtb every 2-3 yrs???? It takes me a yr just to dial in various parts and upgrades I feel "I need."

Since you are like me, mtb first, I'd look at a disk equipped road rig. Not to be cool, or have the new thing, but because you are used to disk and you probably can work on them in a basic manner. (well, that is unless you find the sound of your pads grinding that wet grey gunk into your rims)

You're used to the modulation of the mtb disks and you will want that on your road rig. Plus, you probably don't think twice about taking your road rig on the fire road and rippin' that up. You put that dirt, in with a little wetness, and the disk brakes will seem indispensable.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

jpz
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Actually, I wouldn't let brakes decide my bike, I'd 1st decide on the type of ride/bike I want & go from there. If you're looking at hi performance/road race style bikes, your choice is going to be calipers. If you like gravel/adventure style bikes, you'll most likely end up with disks. And there wil be some in the middle.
    The STYLE of bike you want (AND test ride 'em) will most likely determine the type of brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpz View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't let brakes decide my bike, I'd 1st decide on the type of ride/bike I want & go from there. If you're looking at hi performance/road race style bikes, your choice is going to be calipers. If you like gravel/adventure style bikes, you'll most likely end up with disks. And there wil be some in the middle.
    The STYLE of bike you want (AND test ride 'em) will most likely determine the type of brakes.
    Oh sure, go all practical on us

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jpz View Post
    i have already decided that my new bike will be a C-Dale Synapse. Either the Ultegra 3 (non disc) or the Ultegra disc. At this point I am leaning toward the non disc, not only is it about $500 cheaper and I think it will be a bit quieter. I don't mind the occasional disc brake noise on my MTB becuase there is so much other noise such as trail chatter and noise from the drive train. But one thing I really enjoy about the road bike the how quiet it is.
    I also love how low maintinance my road bike is. Usually only have to check tire pressure and I am good to go. My mountain bike is a whole different animal as far as maintenance goes and I think I want to keep the road bike as simple as possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I wish I had your cash..................new mtb every 2-3 yrs???? It takes me a yr just to dial in various parts and upgrades I feel "I need."

i just shop smart. Usually buy closeout model frames becuase that is the only way I can afford the small brands I like. I also try to transfer over as many parts as I can to my new rig.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Humm, this is the first time I've ever come across this thread subject matter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I'm gonna practical about it. Rim brakes are cheaper than disc brakes, so whenever I do get a new bike, it will have rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Humm, this is the first time I've ever come across this thread subject matter
    Well, I was referring to any thread that mentions the "d" word, which usually devolves into a kerfuffle. And I'm surprised there hasn't been any kerfuffling on this one....

Speaking of fuffle, would an STI lever on a disc-equipped bike technically be a "difter"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I should probably start a different thread for this, but let's see what kind of response I get here.So I decided against disc brakes and am leaning towards the Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3. However I have read many reviews that the new 105 stuff is almost as good as Ultegra, just heavier. Now I am pondering getting the Synapse Carbon 105 (non disc version) and using the considerable money I save to get a wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Can you ride the different models? The difference you feel, or don't, is more important than what others say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I was referring to any thread that mentions the "d" word, which usually devolves into a kerfuffle. And I'm surprised there hasn't been any kerfuffling on this one....

Speaking of fuffle, would an STI lever on a disc-equipped bike technically be a "difter"?
    Humm,
    Let's ask CXwrench. He's the forum expert on what constitutes a "Brifter"