• 06-15-2004
    jch2112
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Bike Gadget...who's gonna be the first to buy one?
    Granted they aren't in stock yet, but who's gonna be the first in line?

    At least it has a integrated bike computer and weighs only 10.1 oz with batteries.


    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0T4hfx...&avf=N&search=
  • 06-15-2004
    macalu
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jch2112
    Granted they aren't in stock yet, but who's gonna be the first in line?

    At least it has a integrated bike computer and weighs only 10.1 oz with batteries.


    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0T4hfx...&avf=N&search=

    Oh, good. Just what cyclists need....another distraction.
  • 06-15-2004
    deadlegs
    I would consider it if it had a DVD player and monitor.
  • 06-15-2004
    EvilDeer
    Noise pollution generator.
  • 06-15-2004
    Allez Rouge
    Looks cool, but does it have ...
    ... a headphone jack? :D :D :D :D
  • 06-15-2004
    owmynads
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jch2112
    Granted they aren't in stock yet, but who's gonna be the first in line?

    At least it has a integrated bike computer and weighs only 10.1 oz with batteries.


    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0T4hfx...&avf=N&search=

    My money's on InspectorGadget.

    He'll buy anything. He's got his entire office strapped the the bloody handlebars. :D

    -OwMyNads
  • 06-15-2004
    Nat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jch2112
    Granted they aren't in stock yet, but who's gonna be the first in line?

    At least it has a integrated bike computer and weighs only 10.1 oz with batteries.


    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0T4hfx...&avf=N&search=

    What is it, an alarm clock in case I fall asleep while riding?
  • 06-15-2004
    terry b
    Portable music is already pretty common among some recumbent riders.

    Was taking a break the other day on road that runs through a nice stand of Cottonwoods along a riverside drain. Classic southwestern riparian environment. Perfect temperature, no wind, early morning - great place to be alive.

    Digging the experience when along comes two 'bents, the leader of which had his radio taped to his bar, blaring oldies. Very friendly, waved and said "hi" and completely blew me out of what was a pleasant, peaceful moment.

    I'll make the same comment here that I made in the headphones thread - why can't we just get outside and enjoy the world for what it is? Sad to say, we've become spurious electron addicts.
  • 06-15-2004
    TurboTurtle
    Finally!!!!!...
    I'll be able to turn up the radio until I can't hear my BB creaking, just like I do for all those little noises my car makes!

    TF
  • 06-15-2004
    wongsifu_mk
    S(truggling)O(n)N(o)Y(en)
    I just left Sony as a middle manager in their new tech division for another gig (I'M GOING TO BE A BIKE COMMUTER NOW!!! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!).
    This thing is just another example of how LOST this company is. They make nice TVs, digital cameras and camcorders, but beyond that are just spewing out stupid products just to stay alive in the marketplace (that's ANY marketplace they can get into). I'm waiting for the SONY digital torque wrench, myself.
  • 06-15-2004
    gregski
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by terry b
    Portable music is already pretty common among some recumbent riders.

    Was taking a break the other day on road that runs through a nice stand of Cottonwoods along a riverside drain. Classic southwestern riparian environment. Perfect temperature, no wind, early morning - great place to be alive.

    Digging the experience when along comes two 'bents, the leader of which had his radio taped to his bar, blaring oldies. Very friendly, waved and said "hi" and completely blew me out of what was a pleasant, peaceful moment.

    I'll make the same comment here that I made in the headphones thread - why can't we just get outside and enjoy the world for what it is? Sad to say, we've become spurious electron addicts.

    Quite a few years ago I was riding the annual STP (Seattle to Portland), quietly rolling along some country backroad, enjoying the scenery, when I started to hear a radio blasting ahead of me. As I was approaching the noise, I was having those same thoughts. When I caught up I found this 50ish y/o lady slowly pedalling along on an old 3-speed bike with a wicker basket attached to the handlebars and a transistor radio in the basket. I got to laughing so hard that I nearly fell off my bike. I don't know if she actually completed the ride, but I had to admire her gumption.
  • 06-15-2004
    MisJG
    Radio Only? Where's the Antenna?
    I know, the bike acts as the antenna, right? I can see the debate starting already, "What frame material makes the best antenna? Steel, Aluminum, Carbon Fibre or Titanium?"
  • 06-15-2004
    t0adman
    Little OT - that last two STPs I've ridden I passed the unicyclist. Unbelievealbe.
  • 06-15-2004
    gregski
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MisJG
    I know, the bike acts as the antenna, right? I can see the debate starting already, "What frame material makes the best antenna? Steel, Aluminum, Carbon Fibre or Titanium?"

    Maybe they'll come up with a big ol whip antenna that attaches to the rear triangle. the next thing you know there will be a bike that looks like one of those Search & Rescue pager geek trucks that have the forest of antennas on top.
  • 06-15-2004
    jammer
    If anyone is serious about wanting toons while they ride check out his site. I have seen these on RAGBRAI, and if you don't know what that is(www.ragbrai.org). These work great.

    http://www.bicyclestereo.com
  • 06-15-2004
    The Walrus
    Ever stroll through the electronics ghetto in Akihabara?
    Scores of shops, each carrying hundreds of iterations of the same thing. The market in Japan is so cutthroat that companies have to come up with added features, often very strange ones, to differentiate their products from everyone elses. My favorite was the Walkman-type cassette player someone made that had a built-in butane cigarette lighter. I'm guessing Sony feels driven to keep the brand name visible no matter what they have to produce; it used to be (two decades ago when I was there) that they were above this sort of thing.

    Personally, I'd never get one of these things; it doesn't leave any room on the bar for my cupholder.
  • 06-16-2004
    Inspector Gadget
    Sorry Nads
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by owmynads
    My money's on InspectorGadget.

    He'll buy anything. He's got his entire office strapped the the bloody handlebars. :D

    -OwMyNads

    Sorry Nads, not this time. By the way, thanks for making the shop run last night. The aerobar is on! Oh, also, the office has been stripped and distributed amongst various places. Oh and another thing; if it wasn't for that "office," who would still be walking home from those blowouts? ;-)
    FEH!
  • 06-16-2004
    AJS
    I'm not buying it unless it has an optional subwoofer that mounts to the rear of the seatpost.
  • 06-16-2004
    TurboTurtle
    Bar end speakers...
    Not for me, but definately thinking outside the box. I like it.

    TF
  • 06-16-2004
    bimini
    Last RAGBRAI I saw a bike
    equiped with a car battery, outragious watt power amplifier and two large box speakers facing rearward. It must of been 50 pounds of audio gear on the bike.

    The problem is I didn't care for Hank Williams at 160 dB so I had to pedal like hell to get out of sonic range.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jammer
    If anyone is serious about wanting toons while they ride check out his site. I have seen these on RAGBRAI, and if you don't know what that is(www.ragbrai.org). These work great.

    http://www.bicyclestereo.com

  • 06-16-2004
    DougSloan
    no mp3?
    no mp3?