New bike help. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bike help.

Neophyte
    Wouldn't a setback post actually make things worse in this case?

OP, just about everybody will note the saddle position looks really weird and too far forward from those pics. Maybe a longer or differently shaped saddle might help?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Wouldn't a setback post actually make things worse in this case?

OP, just about everybody will note the saddle position looks really weird and too far forward from those pics. Maybe a longer or differently shaped saddle might help?
    I was thinking the same thing. Only if you turn it around backward ... Maybe a shorter stem?

[REDACTED]
    My guess is that the saddle was just slapped into place without much thought and definitely without a fit.

However, if the saddle needs to be that far forward in order to fit the rider, either the stem is too long or the frame is the wrong size.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Brothers, Are we not called to serve members in need ?

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...c-16a9317b9111

Read with me from the words of Our Creator: Topstone is pure gravel goodness...
    With its high-volume tires, confident rider position and sporty handling, it is ready to smash out big miles on the backroads, explore routes less travelled, or smooth out the chop on your morning commute.

So as we are called to service, some bikes are, "do all and do everything".
    Others are called for one requirement.
    Some are weak and confused (Muppet) and Some doubt;( PLB )
    Others are confident and strong.

Gravel is a specific requirement. And Off Road; for we all know well, what our surface is ... is not the road.

Let us not deceive Brother Kevin16 into thinking he holds between his loin and sits upon a road intended bike. He chose a Gravel Build.
    High Stack ,Tall Head Tube, Massive Fork Clearance.. this is not a road build. He will not ride well the road.

Does a Bull give suck to its young ? Can a Bull run on a road?
    Indeed Brother Lombard .
    And to Apostel Fedrico whom I love, is not the front legs of an Ox
    built for a purpose ? Is a Deer not able to climb?

Brother Kevin purchased a Gravel Bike. I refer you to our oath and service.
    Gravel bikes are not the same as Road Bikes,. if you ride the road , you will find the difference between a do everything gravel grinder... and a road specific bike.

If you ride the road you will know your bike purpose. A Road Bike has a specific relationship to your ability to accept the road.

This bike is not a Road Bike.
    Gravel Grinder Yes ... Do all Yes.. OFF Road Yes, Dirt Worthy ..Yes
    Road Bike ?... NO
    Snob. . Why do roadies get that way? I just don't understand.

This reminds me of the biologically retarded kid who brought his bike into the shop for every little thing. He commuted on it to work stocking shelves at the local Target. One day he passed me on the MUT, maintaining a steady 22 mph on a long false flat, and I couldn't keep up with him on my gossamer 24# road bike, 28 mm slicks!

It was truly humiliating. I just watched this guy, 20# overweight, get smaller and smaller in the distance. He was riding his "entry level" Trek 800 mountain bike, knobby tires, shock absorber fork.

That is all.

Kevin, move that saddle back, lower those bars, and show 'em how it's done! Make no apologies. The legs will tell it all!

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Snob. . Why do roadies get that way? I just don't understand.

This reminds me of the biologically retarded kid who brought his bike into the shop for every little thing. He commuted on it to work stocking shelves at the local Target. One day he passed me on the MUT, maintaining a steady 22 mph on a long false flat, and I couldn't keep up with him on my gossamer 24# road bike, 28 mm slicks!

It was truly humiliating. I just watched this guy, 20# overweight, get smaller and smaller in the distance. He was riding his "entry level" Trek 800 mountain bike, knobby tires, shock absorber fork.

That is all.

Kevin, move that saddle back, lower those bars, and show 'em how it's done! Make no apologies. The legs will tell it all!
    I would feel great for the guy considering what he has to go through in life. Humiliation? No. There will always be those who are better at something than I am. Kudos to him!

You may want to read about Freddie Hoffman below:

Freddie Hoffman | NJ.com

I agree with you on the roadie snob thing. I generally don't hang out with those type of riders.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would feel great for the guy considering what he has to go through in life. Humiliation? No. There will always be those who are better at something than I am. Kudos to him!

You may want to read about Freddie Hoffman below:

Freddie Hoffman | NJ.com

I agree with you on the roadie snob thing. I generally don't hang out with those type of riders.
    I say "humiliated" only in jest to roadies who'll half wheel me on group rides and get pissed off when I spin past them on the short climbs and they have to sprint away on the declines to show who's boss.

I had nothing but respect for this guy. He showed the weakness in my character!

Thanks for the story about Hoffman. Very much like Forrest Gump!

[REDACTED]
    I say "humiliated" only in jest to roadies who'll half wheel me on group rides and get pissed off when I spin past them on the short climbs and they have to sprint away on the declines to show who's boss.
    I always get a laugh out of riders who do this. I pull ahead of them on a climb and they have to pass me on a downhill in order to not feel emasculated by an older guy like me with less expensive equipment than they have.

Thanks for the story about Hoffman.

I actually met him once, and yes, he is quite talkative. His story is quite compelling - a developmently disabled man who largely overcame his disabilities, has accomplished a lot and is basically independent. One part I found sad is that once his dad dies, he probably won't be able to afford to stay in his house on his custodian salary.

Last edited by Lombard; 04-12-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123