new car doesnt fit in garage; more room for bikes!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

new car doesnt fit in garage; more room for bikes!

We've been keeping my wife's 2004 Honda Odyssey van in the garage since we bought it. I figured it was long overdue to replace it so we picked up a 2020 Odyssey yesterday. I didn't even think to measure it but the new van is a few inches wider and would just barely fit past the opening with both mirrors folded in. I don't see any economical way to fix this so I guess we now have lots of open space in the garage. I probably need to start claiming space for bike stuff before a bunch of gardening stuff ends up there

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm sure you are being blamed for having planned this all along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I'm sure you are being blamed for having planned this all along.
    She wanted another Odyssey so I am in the clear. The perfect plot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    We've been keeping my wife's 2004 Honda Odyssey van in the garage since we bought it. I figured it was long overdue to replace it so we picked up a 2020 Odyssey yesterday. I didn't even think to measure it but the new van is a few inches wider and would just barely fit past the opening with both mirrors folded in. I don't see any economical way to fix this so I guess we now have lots of open space in the garage. I probably need to start claiming space for bike stuff before a bunch of gardening stuff ends up there
    Bummer. Take it back and get a narrower SUV. Wife's gonna have a hard time parking it at the mall.

A friend has about 20 bikes, tools, and spare parts. They leave just enough room in a two car garage for his wife's relatively short and narrow SUV. He leaves his nice sedan out in the driveway. He's building a shed behind the garage dedicated to his massive bike collection. I believe he'll attach it to the garage and cut a doorway to it from the garage. Don't know if he's finished it. If I had a house with no basement and space outback, sounds like a great idea.

What the what???
    Congratulations on the sudden good fortune. Do the following as soon as possible.

1.) Pee in each of the corners of the now empty garage space. You have to mark the territory as yours or you'll come home one day to find a sewing circle or a coffee klatch nesting in the space. Once they're holed up in there, the only way to get them out is arson.

2.) Grab N+1 as soon as possible. Repeat as necessary until space is filled.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    This is the first time that I have heard of a new, wider model of car being bicycle friendly!
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You keep your bikes in the garage? Bikes belong in the house. A garage is for cars and kids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    You should be able to store 2 bikes inside the Odyssey. Problem solved.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    You should be able to store 2 bikes inside the Odyssey. Problem solved.
    I can put two in mine without even removing any wheels.

I've got a 2003 Odyssey that just refuses to die. Drives like a boat, ugly and occupies every other driveway in the suburbs I live in .... but the thing is so damn useful. Even after my kids are pretty well grown up. I might actually buy another one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I can put two in mine without even removing any wheels.

I've got a 2003 Odyssey that just refuses to die. Drives like a boat, ugly and occupies every other driveway in the suburbs I live in .... but the thing is so damn useful. Even after my kids are pretty well grown up. I might actually buy another one.
    That is how we felt. There is way more cargo room in the Odyssey than most SUVs and its cheaper. The uncoolness factor doesn't bother me. Also, we have a giant dog (Newfoundland) that requires lots of space

RoadBikeReview Member
    awesome win!!!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That is how we felt. There is way more cargo room in the Odyssey than most SUVs and its cheaper. The uncoolness factor doesn't bother me. Also, we have a giant dog (Newfoundland) that requires lots of space
    I wish I would have owned it when I had the 190 lbs Great Dane. Nothing more fun than a huge dog.