Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New chain wax product

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
#4 ·
You know, they put stuff in there usually found only in skin creams and exfoliators.

Things like micro-abrasive, micro-polishing particles, as well as nonabrasive micro-polishing agents (including diatomaceous earth), and emollients and anti-fungal agents.

And it's non-hazardous (well, except to fungi).

#7 ·
OP, are you actually using it, or just pushing it because it sounds good? If you've used it, how long, and what's been the experience in chain wear long term? I'm skeptical about chain wear issues with a lubricant that contains abrasives. I know, they call it "non-abrasive" at one point and "micro-abrasive" elsewhere, but diatomaceous earth is mostly silica, which is much harder than metal, so it's abrasive. The rate of metal removal may be acceptably slow if the particles are small, and the tradeoff for cleaning may be worth it, but I'd be very curious about any extended experience.

#8 ·
Why would you put chain lube on the entire drivetrain?

Instructions say “Ensure complete coating of all driveline surfaces by pedaling through 10 rotations while shifting between all rings and cogs.”

I use chain lube on the chain. After application (and not shifting) I wipe excess off of the front cog, jockey wheels, and cassette ring.

#9 ·
I don't really mind the 200mi interval for application. I clean & lube my mtb chain every ride anyway and the road bike is generally getting lubed around 150ish. I really don't like wax lubes at all. Anyone that advises to " Ensure complete coating of all driveline surfaces by pedaling through 10 rotations
while shifting between all rings and cogs." doesn't have a clue as far as I'm concerned. I also have no idea what this guy has studied...it might not give him any experience at all in drivetrain lubrication. Chain lube does not have to be complicated at all, there are already a ton of great lubes available, there is no need to reinvent the proverbial wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.