New Guy here

Thread: New Guy here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015

New Guy here

Just saying hello. Been riding mtn bikes very casually for years and have always wanted a road bike. Finally decided to go for it and I picked up a used 02 Trek 2300 and so far so good. Got is at a LBS with a three month warranty. Hoping that will be long enough to work out any kinks. Anyway, I'll be lurking about and reading up on all the great info in here and may have a question or two eventually. Look forward to getting more involved in the sport and the benefits from

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take it from another mountain biker, walk away now!!!!

I started with a cheap, used bike got some tight clothes and joined RBR thinking everyone would love me.

I quickly realized that road bikers are a different bread, not as friendly, like to argue and will not wave.

Then I discovered that I had purchased all kinds of Bibs, race cut jerseys, high end carbon shoes, carbon wheels, then a carbon bike.

Now I am one of the hated road bikers and I am actually mad that I am responding to you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
    Take it from another mountain biker, walk away now!!!!

I started with a cheap, used bike got some tight clothes and joined RBR thinking everyone would love me.

I quickly realized that road bikers are a different bread, not as friendly, like to argue and will not wave.

Then I discovered that I had purchased all kinds of Bibs, race cut jerseys, high end carbon shoes, carbon wheels, then a carbon bike.

Now I am one of the hated road bikers and I am actually mad that I am responding to you...
    I will have to disagree with you we are all a friendly helpful non-judgmental bunch.

Neophyte
    As long as you do or don't approve of disc brakes on road bikes, you'll be okay with this bunch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Everyone in here is insane, welcome to the club....
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    So very helpful, everything's clear as mud now, and dang it, I wore a tight shirt on my ride today. Am I doomed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiserman View Post
    So very helpful, everything's clear as mud now, and dang it, I wore a tight shirt on my ride today. Am I doomed?
    You likely wore the wrong jersey, your socks were the wrong length, your seat wasn't level and you didn't use a power meter. Not to even mention your cadence was way off...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiserman View Post
    Lol, something tells me you will fit in just fine around these parts and that you are more than capable of holding your own....

[REDACTED]
    Greetings and welcome Bruiserman! You will meet all types here, just as in real life. No different. We're just a bunch of schmucks who like to ride bikes, talk about our experiences and brag about our knowledge of the sport.

Just be sure that when you post specific questions, you post in the correct forum, or CXWrench will be on you like stink on s***.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    on your left!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You will be fine....

Some things to form opinions on...

Disc or rim brakes??

Does Trek make good bikes??

Wave or don't wave??

Playing music on speakers while riding

Brightness of light...

Other then that. Cool crowd around here that are extremely helpful. They also like to argue things about bikes that are usually way over my head, so I pop some popcorn and enjoy reading it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    hmmm...

disc-I like how they look

best road bike I ever owned was a Trek

not real friendly, slight head nod at best

bluetooth makes everything better

I hate bright headlights, especially when they are driving towards me. HaVe yet to ride at night.

I'll be more of a reader than pster. So much good info in here, will take some time to just learn the basics.
    Last edited by Bruiserman; 12-07-2015 at 09:31 AM.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    You will be fine....

Some things to form opinions on...

Disc or rim brakes??

Does Trek make good bikes??

Wave or don't wave??

Playing music on speakers while riding

Brightness of light...

Other then that. Cool crowd around here that are extremely helpful. They also like to argue things about bikes that are usually way over my head, so I pop some popcorn and enjoy reading it.

Your forgetting two very important ones or should I say the ones that seem to have the most different opinions here on RBR:

Your favorite tires?

Your favorite chain lube?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein