Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pedal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

New Pedal

Hey everyone. I just wanted to gather some opinions on this new bike pedal that we've come up with. I have a couple videos attached to show everyone how good it works. Just like everyone, I'm just trying to come up with a better product, this one just happens to be a bike pedal. As I would frequently miss clipping into my other pedals while riding in a group, with this you're gonna get in virtually 100% of the time. Let me know what everyone thinks, please don't judge too harshly. I'm not sure if there was a different areas that I should of posted this.

https://youtu.be/BGNeS1imdJ0
    https://youtu.be/_w868IfOxVM
    https://youtu.be/BtvTbTSusjA

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So no float? If so that shrinks the market considerably.

I'm not sure ease of clipping in is problem that needs a solution for most people with some experience with other systems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, OK, but the first thing I see is that itís a huge contraption on the bottom of the shoe and that sometimes we actually walk around in our bike shoes, car to bike, bike to bathroom, bike to bagel store and back, etc....

This design makes that really a PITA.

Not seeing that the wheel needs to be reinvented here. What exactly did you find wrong with SPD, Speedplays, Looks, etc..... that took you down this road ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    You are correct, the pedal in the video has no float. I'm an older gentleman and my partner is even older. We've found that no float is the way to go. We just put the cleats at a little angle that matches our natural stance when you're standing up. One of my partners shoes is turned out much more than the other. As when he stands naturally the one foot seems to angle out in his natural standing position. The pedals can easily be made with 2 or 3 degrees of float with no problem. They are not necessarily made for walking, but they are easy to walk in as they are basically the same height as all other cleats.

As far as why we made the change vs the other pedals, this particular pedal just offers 360 degrees of engagement and we think that it is a benefit, especially to any newer rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Just a quick pic of the 2 pedals. One of ours and a Shimano SM-SH11, it is true that one of ours is a hair bigger. But it offers much better entry and exit. This pedal will be anodized a different color red/black/blue etc. We just haven't picked a color yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pedal-28028-mms-1519054293732-attachment1-20180219_102959.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    people like sexy. not sure about yours being sexy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Just a quick pic of the 2 pedals. One of ours and a Shimano SM-SH11, it is true that one of ours is a hair bigger. But it offers much better entry and exit. This pedal will be anodized a different color red/black/blue etc. We just haven't picked a color yet.
    A few potential issues there. How does it handle mud or dirt>
    and bearing slippery on certain surfaces and chewing up floors.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Looks terrible. Doesn't accomplish anything that current pedal systems don't. The cleat is aluminum? Why? It's going to mess up anything you walk on indoors and walking outdoors is going to wear the cleat quickly. Does this compromise engagement? I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work out as well as you think (or hope). I'll give it 1 of 10 at this point.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    people like sexy. not sure about yours being sexy.
    That is a valid opinion, I do think once it gets anodized a different color and the spring steel gets its titanium coating it will look a lot better. As far as operations though, it is flawless up to date.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    A few potential issues there. How does it handle mud or dirt>
    and bearing slippery on certain surfaces and chewing up floors.
    Right now we are thinking of it as a road bike pedal, which shouldn't include a lot of mud and dirt. We have gotten mud and dirt in it before, and it simply comes right out, or I just hosed it with my water bottle and it rinsed the sticky mud right off. There are no exposed bearings to cause any issues as far as slipping on floors, and we are not aware of any damage that it has caused up to date with floors in any store we've gone into to beat the heat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Looks terrible. Doesn't accomplish anything that current pedal systems don't. The cleat is aluminum? Why? It's going to mess up anything you walk on indoors and walking outdoors is going to wear the cleat quickly. Does this compromise engagement? I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work out as well as you think (or hope). I'll give it 1 of 10 at this point.
    I appreciate your opinion, we made it out of aluminum to cut down on weight. Because some people have been brainwashed into thinking a few oz or grams are going to make them the next Tour-De-France champ. It just isn't happening unless you've got lungs and legs, you won't be going anywhere. As far as wear down there is a carbide insert that runs the whole width of the pedal. The pedal should last maybe forever. Also I think, as I said earlier that once it is anodized a different color and the spring steel gets the titanium coating it will look much better. Just in my mind at least.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would not want to walk in those. Go into any store, coffee shop, restaurant and you'd get thrown out for damaging their floors.

The 2nd video you "gently" hang the 25lb weight claiming no one would create enough outward pressure to make it slip off. I beg to differ. It's clear in the video they're not locked in real secure. Sprinting (which you don't do in your 3rd video) would do it. And powering up a 20% climb would do it.

You're not the first to come up with spindle based pedals.
    TriRig TriRig Mercury

https://fairwheelbikes.com/aerolite-titanium-pedals/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Right now we are thinking of it as a road bike pedal, which shouldn't include a lot of mud and dirt. We have gotten mud and dirt in it before, and it simply comes right out, or I just hosed it with my water bottle and it rinsed the sticky mud right off. There are no exposed bearings to cause any issues as far as slipping on floors, and we are not aware of any damage that it has caused up to date with floors in any store we've gone into to beat the heat.
    Aluminum cleat on wood floor or aluminum cleat marking up a nice tile floor...not good. That's why Speedplay makes the new cleats. Safer to walk on and no damage to surfaces you'll be walking on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I would not want to walk in those. Go into any store, coffee shop, restaurant and you'd get thrown out for damaging their floors.

The 2nd video you "gently" hang the 25lb weight claiming no one would create enough outward pressure to make it slip off. I beg to differ. It's clear in the video they're not locked in real secure. Sprinting (which you don't do in your 3rd video) would do it. And powering up a 20% climb would do it.

You're not the first to come up with spindle based pedals.
    TriRig TriRig Mercury

https://fairwheelbikes.com/aerolite-titanium-pedals/
    I understand your thought process, but I have been in many stores over the past few years and up to date have not been asked to leave or noticed any damage that I have left. What you're saying is true that I didn't jerk the 25lb weight up in one swift stroke, but it does clearly show it holding the 25lb weight. I am a fairly large rider, 6'1" and weigh 200lbs. I sprint with these pedals all of the time. I climb the bridges out of the saddle and hit them hard, again with no slippage. Obviously we are all trying to pedal in circles, push and pull is our method of course. But when I am sprinting, my heels do not kick out like I'm trying to disengage all other pedals, therefore there is no slippage. Actually in the video, you can't tell it because of my crappy video, but as I make the U-Turn I'm out of the saddle and hitting it hard. Later I shift gear and I'm actually out of the saddle again as I am getting close to the camera. It just did not show up very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Aluminum cleat on wood floor or aluminum cleat marking up a nice tile floor...not good. That's why Speedplay makes the new cleats. Safer to walk on and no damage to surfaces you'll be walking on.
    I can't deny that a pedal that's secondary design to walk on hardwood floors isn't better, but I can guarantee that I can get out of my pedals much faster.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There are no exposed bearings to cause any issues as far as slipping on floors, and we are not aware of any damage that it has caused up to date with floors in any store we've gone into to beat the heat.
    There's no way a 150-200lb person bearing all their weight onto that little aluminum surface (chewed up from walking on asphalt) isn't going to damage floors. No way.

New Pedal-cleat.jpg
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Just as a for instance, the Tririg Mercury is similar to ours. But where I think ours is superior is getting in and out and the holding power. Their pedal you have to line up the pedal shaft up directly with the plastic cleat and push it down. I do not believe that this pedal will hold on hard riding as you are pulling and pushing, and taking the time to line the pedal up with the groove perfectly will just take more time than ours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    There's no way a 150-200lb person bearing all their weight onto that little aluminum surface (chewed up from walking on asphalt) isn't going to damage floors. No way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleat.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	321904
    Again I agree with what you are saying, I think that if you were to go into a store and pirouette like a figure skater that you could cause some serious damage. But in normal conditions we have had no issues up to date. I do appreciate the input though.

I can't deny that a pedal that's secondary design to walk on hardwood floors isn't better, but I can guarantee that I can get out of my pedals much faster.
    You disengage in the same manner as other pedal systems, right? Just how much faster can you do that? I've been around a long time and seen a LOT of wacky pedal systems that do nothing better than the currently available offerings from the major manufacturers. Yours will just be another one of these...sorry. I'd advise to head back to the drawing board.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I sprint with these pedals all of the time.

Actually in the video, you can't tell it because of my crappy video, but as I make the U-Turn I'm out of the saddle and hitting it hard. Later I shift gear and I'm actually out of the saddle again as I am getting close to the camera. It just did not show up very well.
    Oh no, I can absolutely tell from the video, especially as you're going towards the camera. That's not sprinting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    That naked spindle scares me...... stabby stabby

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    That naked spindle scares me...... stabby stabby
    Paired up with disc brakes and we have a slasher movie.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    The easy engagement looks great. Don't be deterred by the feedback you get here. They would have told Mr Dysoin back in 1980 no one needs a new vacuum, in fact Hoover and Electrolux did. What are your plans for this?

But, as the "inventor" your baby, probably needs testing by someone not emotionally invested in the system. If you are aiming for the racing market ask a racer to use it for a few weeks. If weekend warriors then ask someone else. For me with dodgy knees the lack of float would turn me off. BTW, can you use grams for your weight measurements, ounces are so 19th century. Good luck.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Sorry, but I'm not convinced. Not only does that cleat look to be just about impossible to walk on, but being aluminum it's likely to bend and break easily.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleat.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	321904
    Gas stations with linoleum floors. Need I say more?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast