new saddle bag thread, specific requirements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

So brought my bike into LBS for front derailleur adjustment, took bike home, went away for 5 days and realize forgot to bring back my saddle bag from bike shop. They don't have it, so time for a new one.

Here is what I need to carry:
    1. smartphone 4.7" screen, so it is 5" long
    2. spare tube
    3. tire iron set (plastic 3)
    4. folding combo tool
    5. power bar
    6. lock
    7. 4' of cable in a 4" dia circle
    8. spoke wrench
    9. a few coins and dollars.
    10. maybe things i am forgetting...

I am not looking for the micro bags, I already know that.

I am looking at some of the toepeak that have the tools included, (I am really pissed at myself for forgetting the bag, I need the tools as much as the bag so buying together is less hassle).

for instance Amazon.com: Topeak Ii Survival Tool Wedge Pack with Fixer 25: Sports & Outdoors

or

Amazon.com: Topeak Side Kick Stw with Fixer F25: Sports & Outdoors

But am worried I might not have enough room for phone, energy bar lock, and cable..

Hope some who carry phone, food, tools, and spare can chime in on what works for them. thanks.

Sweet Potato Kugel

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is what I use and think will fit your stuff. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, small (Strap Mount)

They make larger ones too. They also have versions that have a clip mounting, but I prefer the reliability and robustness of straps.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Noob

Banjo Brothers makes good seat bags as well. You can purchase directly from their site and they have different size options.

No tools included but definitely quality bags for reasonable prices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the info. I just bought my first bike and picked up the side kick as I needed everything and that little bag has all the basics.

If you need more space the lil surivival kit seems like it is bigger and would be better for you per the reviews.
    Last edited by Vanco; 08-07-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Fat and slow but trying
    I have the Lezyne L-Caddy. I don't think you'll get the cable in there. Not with all that other stuff. I carry the same kit as the OP minus the lock and cable and it's tight. I was thinking actually of adding a top tube bag to carry my phone and snacks and downsize the saddle bag to something just large enough for a tube, CO2, irons, and a multi-tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Here is what I need to carry:
    1. smartphone 4.7" screen, so it is 5" long
    2. spare tube
    3. tire iron set (plastic 3)
    4. folding combo tool
    5. power bar
    6. lock
    7. 4' of cable in a 4" dia circle
    8. spoke wrench
    9. a few coins and dollars.
    10. maybe things i am forgetting...
    Do you not wear a jersey? IMO things like the phone and the power bar should be in your jersey not in your saddlebag. I don't carry a lock with my either and if I did I wouldn't be putting it in the saddlebag.

I have a med size Toppeak aero wedge. I carry:

1) two tubes
    2) 2 tire levers
    3) small mini tool
    4) CO2 with extra cartridge

I also have room for a spoke wrench if I wanted to carry one and can fit my drivers license and CC plus a $20 in the little pocket on the rear of the mouth of the bag.

Everything else goes in my jersey pockets: phone, nutrition, arm warmers, etc
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    This is what I use and think will fit your stuff. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, small (Strap Mount)

They make larger ones too. They also have versions that have a clip mounting, but I prefer the reliability and robustness of straps.
    I use the same saddle bag... only in the medium size... which is also expandable. If it wasn't for the cable lock I carry the medium would be too big. But it doesn't look big... and it doesn't swag or swing around [like many bags do] ether.

However.... I keep my phone in a ziplock baggie along with some cash in my center jersey pocket.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do the math. Stack all that stuff up together (bundle it somehow), measure the dimensions, calculate the volume, and look at the specs for the bags, which generally give volume in cubic inches. Allow a little margin for odd shapes and extras.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

2 fat 4 cycling
    +1 for Banjo Brothers

I have their small for shorter daily rides and their medium (with the expansion pocket) for longer/multi-day rides.
    More tea, Mr. Bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bags you're looking at are a bit small, I know what the dimensions say but their not quite as large as they say. The Topeak line does offer the best value for the money, but instead of the ones you listed I would look at the Aero Wedge in the large size. Being a wedge it does expand a bit more, and you should have room left over to put energy bars and other stuff in it.

Anyway see this: TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, large (QuickClick) their available on Amazon too. But since I own one and I just measured it and the measure of 4.9" on their website would be correct if you stretched it outward! You don't want to stretch the fabric so it is actually closer to 4 1/4, this means that the dimensions given for the two bags you listed would be too tight for the cable...while the cable could be jammed into those bags the bags won't last long due to the stretching of the fabric over a period of a year or so.

Those Aero Wedge bags are the best bags I've ever owned, and their not costly. I have the velcro strap version or you can get the quick click version shown.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by rayej68 View Post
    Banjo Brothers makes good seat bags as well.
    Seat Bags | Banjo Brothers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    Do you not wear a jersey? I

Everything else goes in my jersey pockets: phone, nutrition, arm warmers, etc
    Works for you, not me. I want everything in my bag.

Thanks froze for your comments on toepeak. Was hoping to hear about product experiences. Still pissed at myself for losing my bag....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I got the Topeak Wedge Pack II Seat Bag with F25 Fixer and Rain Cover, Large so its the one you mention without the tools included and I can get a spare, co2 cartridge, topeak multi tool and the Galaxy Note 2 witha 5.5 inch screen and case, plus my wallet in it with no problem--without even unzipping the expansion zipper. Will save it for adding bars or something if I find the need--just haven't yet.
    2013 CAAD10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Specialized Bicycle Components I have this one, I carry way too much ****, I don't put a phone it there though. It really is too big and the temptation to carry too much is my cross to bear. I have a tiny bag for organised supported type rides. It is too big. I get **** for it. I probably could deliver a baby on the side of the road though. As I mostly ride for calories, the extra pound is fine.

n00bsauce
    I second the Topeak Aero Wedge Pack QuickClick. Best mounting system out there and best access. I have the small but given your requirements the large should be plenty big.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I had the Aero Wedge Pack (medium) and that was enough to store:
    - CO2 inflator + 2 extra 16g cartridges
    - 3 x tire levers
    - Inner-tube
    - Tire patch kit
    - multi-tool
    - first aid supplies (bandages, triple antibiotic, etc)
    - disposable gloves

There's room to spare when you use the zipper to expand its room. I imagine a smartphone + power bar would fit, but you'll have to be creative with how you store and position the contents. The top and bottom surfaces of the bag aren't exactly "flat," so for a long phone, you might end up leaving pockets of free space.

I'm happy with that bag overall. The only complaint I had was the mesh holder on the flap:

That mesh gripper isn't really tight and may weaken over time, so storing heavier or smaller items there (e.g. multi-tool, house key) may cause the contents to spill when you open the bag all the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    I second the Topeak Aero Wedge Pack QuickClick. Best mounting system out there and best access. I have the small but given your requirements the large should be plenty big.
    +1

I have the quick clip mount and it is super easy to take the bag on and off. I'd highly recommend this instead of the strap mount.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

Rawr
    Jul 2013
    I just bought my first bike and have been searching for a bag..maybe you guys can help me.

I'd like to carry just the basics which I've read is tube(s), multi-tool, CO2 inflator. Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, what is a good bag to accommodate those items?

Where's that GPS?
    I'm impressed - any of you guys ever been Boy Scouts!

I put all of that stuff in little ziplock baggies, jam them into my jersey pockets, and away I go. But then again, I don't feel the need to carry cables, anti- biotics and a lock.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I didn't join the Boy Scouts, but I served as a volunteer for the Red Cross for a number of years.

Only reason I started carrying first-aid supplies was because I crashed in January of this year. I had a bad case of road rash, bent the handle bar and hoods, no shifting, but brakes worked. I was out of cellphone service coverage, so my only options were to either wait for my buddy to get help or for me to ride down to the nearest town for a clinic (at least 8 miles away). Both involved waiting with exposing the wounds. I deemed it safe enough to ride to get proper treatment.

After that, they've come in handy in a couple of group / charity rides. I don't pretend to be a field medic; just providing enough first aid until one can get proper treatment. =)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonsina View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components I have this one, I carry way too much ****, I don't put a phone it there though. It really is too big and the temptation to carry too much is my cross to bear. I have a tiny bag for organised supported type rides. It is too big. I get **** for it. I probably could deliver a baby on the side of the road though. As I mostly ride for calories, the extra pound is fine.
    I use the above specialized bag. I ride 200+ miles per week and I'm very satisfied with the amount of things i can bring on a long ride. I had the top peak wedge until the zipper broke and i had to change this season. So far its been working great. It has more than enough room for all the things you listed besides a big lock (and if you open the expandable pocket u could probably fit a lock). It does not rub or even ever touch the thigs and resits water and dirt really well so far. I'm definitely happy with my purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Are you sure you want to carry your phone in your seat bag? I'd be afraid of breaking it, jammed in there with all that stuff.

I put my phone, key and cash in a high tech, waterproof bag (Ziplock) in my jersey pocket. It makes getting at those things a lot easier. Tubes and tools go in a small saddle bag.

banned
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    So brought my bike into LBS for front derailleur adjustment, took bike home, went away for 5 days and realize forgot to bring back my saddle bag from bike shop. They don't have it, so time for a new one.
    So did the LBS steal/loose your saddle bag? Sounds like they owe you a new one, no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have the Topeak Aero Medium on my CAAD. I find it plenty big to carry the usual items (tube, levers, multitool, patch kit, small blinky) without expanding. I did MS150 this weekend and put in my wallet, keys, clif bars in the bag while expanded and it fit perfectly.

I think the small would actually be good for the essentials (tube, levers, patch kit, keys, CO2), but not have enough room for days when more is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast