RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

New shoe/pedals changing bike size and fit?

I took a long break from road cycling, and am getting back into it.

I had used LOOK 247s w Shimano R214 shoes.

Today Im going to be using 2018 Dura Ace pedals w latest Shimano road shoes.

I have a feeling that my new road frame will probably need to be 10-12mm smaller although my searches failed to give me accurate info on how much stack height the shoe/pedal combo have lost. I know the old Looks had 22mm stack.

The other part was i used to be between sizes, so the difference in pedal/shoe stack could sway me in a different direction.

Any input on where and how i can make that determination?

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by threefire View Post
    I took a long break from road cycling, and am getting back into it.

I had used LOOK 247s w Shimano R214 shoes.

Today Im going to be using 2018 Dura Ace pedals w latest Shimano road shoes.

I have a feeling that my new road frame will probably need to be 10-12mm smaller although my searches failed to give me accurate info on how much stack height the shoe/pedal combo have lost. I know the old Looks had 22mm stack.

The other part was i used to be between sizes, so the difference in pedal/shoe stack could sway me in a different direction.

Any input on where and how i can make that determination?
    You can do it empirically but best way is to tune saddle height by trial and error and monitoring knee angle at the bottom of the stroke.

Changing pedals your pedal stroke may even be fractionally affected depending on how much float affecting your foot angle and knee position. Start over...with a swag first knowing stack height will be different.

Truthfully, I think maybe 50% are riding with the wrong saddle height anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I have a feeling that my new road frame will probably need to be 10-12mm smaller
    Is this not something that you can easily accommodate by moving your seat post down? 12 mm? Really?

If you were absolutely on the knife edge of frame size (arguably there is no such thing since you get different size recommendations from different fitters/sizing tools) and had got the larger frame, then MAYBE you would need a smaller frame when switching to lower stack height pedals. Unlikely that any frame size change is needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Is this not something that you can easily accommodate by moving your seat post down? 12 mm? Really?

If you were absolutely on the knife edge of frame size (arguably there is no such thing since you get different size recommendations from different fitters/sizing tools) and had got the larger frame, then MAYBE you would need a smaller frame when switching to lower stack height pedals. Unlikely that any frame size change is needed.

Well, the problem is I don't have a road bike right now (other than some old frames which I don't know if they will fit me properly now). I do have 2 MTBs but they use SPDs and fit MTB shoes.

The biggest issue is I need to know whether I should stick w/ a 54(M) or go smaller, as these 2 sizes are usually off by 20mm only. If my saddle is getting lower by 12mm, then I definitely need an S.
    Last edited by threefire; 08-13-2018 at 08:37 AM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Well, the problem is I don't have a road bike right now. I do have 2 MTBs but they use SPDs and fit MTB shoes.

The biggest issue is I need to know whether I should stick w/ a 54(M) or go smaller, as these 2 sizes are usually off by 20mm only. If my saddle is getting lower by 12mm, then I definitely need an S.
    You're missing one very important thing...you're still going to be the same size person...you're not getting any shorter or taller. Your saddle height is going to change a few millimeters, that's it. You'll still be riding the same size bike, whatever that is. Your reach isn't changing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

banned
    Nov 2009
    Stack and reach is the answer and I havenít read any of the thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ...you're still going to be the same size person...you're not getting any shorter or taller. Your saddle height is going to change a few millimeters, that's it. You'll still be riding the same size bike, whatever that is. Your reach isn't changing.
    We (adults) do get shorter as we age. I'm 1" shorter than I was 15 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You're missing one very important thing...... Your reach isn't changing.
    cxwrench gets it.

Lowering your saddle 10-12mm does NOT change your reach to the bars so dramatically that a change in frame size is warranted.

If you can remember what size top tube/stem combo you rode ten years ago, start with that. If you can't, find more than one of the various bike size calculators on the internet and compare 3 of them. You'll see common numbers, I'm sure. Here's one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're are asking for input on how to choose the right size frame based on fit 15 years ago, which seems to be a mistake to me. Your flexibility has probably changed more than your height. If you are in between sizes and can be fit on either, the question to me would be do you prefer more or less stack in your set up with more enabling a more upright position and less enabling a more aggressive position - which do you want? Maybe ave the shop put 2 bikes on a trainer and see which you prefer or get on a fit bike to see.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    You don't know how many meetings I have a week with senior business people, lawyers, bankers, who have loads of overflowing flesh at their necks. I guess if you are a size 17 collar at 35, then you are size 17 for life.

Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    We (adults) do get shorter as we age. I'm 1" shorter than I was 15 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    You don't know how many meetings I have a week with senior business people, lawyers, bankers, who have loads of overflowing flesh at their necks. I guess if you are a size 17 collar at 35, then you are size 17 for life.
    The responses have gone right over your head.

As an adult you stay pretty much the same height. Fattness (growing shirt collar size) does not alter height.

If you used to ride a bike with 380 mm reach, you can probaly try a bike with 380 mm reach and be in the ball park. I would make the same guess even if you are 50 pounds heavier than you were when you rode said 380 mm reach frame.