New Vanilla and ride review - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    The Rivendell website has alot of discussion on bike fit and how we are all sheep to the racing setup of low aerodynamic positioning, when most of us just ride for pleasure.

Baaah, baaah, guilty as charged.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    But then, let me tell you about this Holland Ti frame I saw last weekend at the Tour de Tucson Mountains. Black underpaint with a gold pearl overcoat - looked deep, deep olive green in the sunshine. Paint by Joe Bell. 2006 can't come fast enough for me.
    Terry,
    If ever I make it to NM, would you do me the honour and give me a guided of the barn?

You're still my idol...

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    Terry,
    If ever I make it to NM, would you do me the honour and give me a guided of the barn?

You're still my idol...
    Absolutely, and don't feel compelled to bring any surströmming along. We'll go out for Machaca Burritos instead.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Absolutely, and don't feel compelled to bring any surströmming along. We'll go out for Machaca Burritos instead.
    Oh my gosh, how do you know about surströmming? I only thought folks in this part of the world ate it. You either love it or hate it, I haven't decided yet. mmmm...Burritos....kind of hard to get real, authentic mexican here.

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    Again, in any iteration, this bike's looks exceed 99.9999% of those out there. I feel like I'm nitpicking a Duesenberg or Lance Armstrong's position on the bike.
    No worries at all. I enjoy comments both positive and negative, although what's his zen raised my hackles a tad. You have a good eye for the details.

Mar 2003
    Lovely looking bike. I do like to admire true craftsmanship -I'm very envious. I've seen various pics of Vanilla bikes, and they look gorgeous, and yours is no exception! Many happy miles of riding. Love the colour, though at a push I'd have to plump for a green over orange, but let's not split hairs here.
    Fight Cystic Fibrosis: http://www.cycleforhaylee.org
    http://www.cff.org

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    Oh my gosh, how do you know about surströmming? I only thought folks in this part of the world ate it. You either love it or hate it, I haven't decided yet. mmmm...Burritos....kind of hard to get real, authentic mexican here.

I make it a point to know a little bit about a lot of stuff.

Hard to get real Mexican here too - ours is actually more "New" Mexican, but we don't tell the tourists. Real Mexican starts about 5 miles south of the border in Sonora.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

i'm eating mexican food right now

but that's neither here nor there. SMUGator, that's an absolutely beautiful bike, love the old-school touches. I just wanted to say that on the computer issue, I agree with Sacha. I am riding a mass-produced nothin' fancy road bike and I can't tell you how right it was NOT to mount the computer, at least for me. Decided to go ahead and ride without when I bought the bike almost two years ago, figuring I'd get to measuring my wheel circumference and all that crap some time soon... what do you know, I've never missed the thing. It looks good on my work bench.

Aug 2003

Beautiful.....

The Brooks saddle makes it perfect. The mix of high tech with traditional tried and true, gives it personality. I'm sure the ride be-fits it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

had to come back and look again.

Aaaaaah..... with a stem like that I'd be in danger of not looking where I was going.

RoadBikeReview Member

Funny Story

Got talking to Sacha's Dad at the Hamilton Worlds. The conversation was sparked by his beautifull smokey grey vanilla.. "Yeah my Son built it for me" kinda thing... lol.
    It was funny hearing him say that when Sacha first got started building bikes he gave him the apprehensive "I don't know, son... are you sure this is a good carreer move?" speech. Fast forward a couple years and there's an 18 month waiting list. I think he made the right decision . Don't you?

Feb 2005

Smile The Creamsicle

Over on the Serotta board, someone picked up the orange/vanilla combo and dropped the name Creamsicle. Then my buddy EvilGilligan found this cool image. So going forward, she will be known as "The Creamsicle."
    Attached Images Attached Images

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Just a thought...

You know, that old Raleigh would make a pretty nice fixte conversion......
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenJones
    Couple thoughts...

Being that this is a custom build... why so much seatpost and stem showing? My first thought upon seeing the pics was... the frame must be too small for him. Were you fitted properly?
    Very cool bike. Amount of seatpost showing looks fine to me. I'm not sure you can easily do a sloping tt with lugs. You could have gone with a longer headtube but I think it looks perfect as is. Once you get it dialed in more and know exactly where you want the bars to be I'd just get a new quil stem built with more rise so less of the quil or whatever is showing. And I'd go with a chrome stem but that's me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very very nice. I want a bike like that when I can ride agian. Maybe if I order now, when I am able to ride it to will be ready!

Feb 2005

Great minds think alike

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    You know, that old Raleigh would make a pretty nice fixte conversion......
    I've been considering that. There is a velodrome about 5 minutes from here. My other thought is to deck it out with 650s and fenders and make an all-purpose rain bike.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Likely won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by SMUGator
    My other thought is to deck it out with 650s and fenders and make an all-purpose rain bike.
    650C wheels are much smaller than 27" or 700C wheels, a couple of things will happen.

Your brakes won't reach the rims (not a good thing).

The BB will be much closer to the ground and the likelyhood of your pedals hitting goes way up (not a good thing).

Fixte it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    650C wheels are much smaller than 27" or 700C wheels, a couple of things will happen.

Your brakes won't reach the rims (not a good thing).

The BB will be much closer to the ground and the likelyhood of your pedals hitting goes way up (not a good thing).

Fixte it.

Hmmm. I thought I might be able to use the old cantilever bridges and some long reach brakes to get by the first problem. The lowering of the BB is one I hadn't considered. Maybe it will need to be a fixte.

Feb 2005

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hipstrong
    You may want to tune your front der. I just put the bling-bling FSA K-Force cranks on my bike, and my first impression was how incredibly fast it shifted onto the big ring. Yours might be *off* a tad bit.
    I tighted the cable adjuster just a bit on the stand, and it started to step up nicely. I need to check it out on the road and see how it does under load.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMUGator
    I've been considering that. There is a velodrome about 5 minutes from here. My other thought is to deck it out with 650s and fenders and make an all-purpose rain bike.
    Or you could get your Vanilla built that way like this one (minus the 650s)
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice bike!

Grant Petersen of Rivendell offers CRMO lugged stems as an option on some of his bikes, saying they're every bit as light as cast aluminum or composites, strong and stiff to keep the handlebars in line when sprinting or climbing, and still have the magical shock absorption property of steel. So that stem is a winner, and maybe cancels out the advantage of an extended head tube.

It's always inspiring to see that the well-refined art of hand-building with steel is still alive and well. There are few things in life that can reach the degree of perfection a custom bike can, or provide such continuous rewards to the rider!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 05-04-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Feb 2005

Thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico
    Grant Petersen of Rivendell offers CRMO lugged stems as an option on some of his bikes, saying they're every bit as light as cast aluminum or composites, strong and stiff to keep the handlebars in line when sprinting or climbing, and still have the magical shock absorption property of steel. So that stem is a winner, and maybe cancels out the advantage of an extended head tube.

It's always inspiring to see that the well-refined art of hand-building with steel is still alive and well. There are few things in life that can reach the degree of perfection a custom bike can, or provide such continuous rewards to the rider!

The credit goes to Sacha. He is truly amazing.

Mar 2003
    do I detect subtle Gator colors? Beautiful bike (even if)!
    We're just livin' this way 'cause we've known no other.

Feb 2005

Subtle, but yes...

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialTater
    do I detect subtle Gator colors? Beautiful bike (even if)!
    I've had lot's of orange influences. I got my undergrad at UF. I lived in Dallas for 12 years and had lots of UTx buddies. My father-in-law teaches fine art at UT Knoxville. So I've grown to know and love/hate differing shades of orange. In truth, the final inspiration came from here...

http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachsor...ery/index.html

But the idea isn't original. The orange on my bike is very similar to the Rambouillet.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/rambouillet.asp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Doug has it all wrong -- Blue bar tape rules!

Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    I think I'd run black handlebar tape, too; the blue sort of matches the graphic highlighting, but over all I think black would look better.
    I have a Steelman with the same color scheme -- Persimmon Sparkle (sounds like a burlesque dancer's name to me) powdercoat and blue decals. Brent Steelman recommended the sort-of-light blue Cinelli cork bar tape for the bike, and it looks great. I do understand that the dark blue Deda tape presently on the Vanilla has it's own appeal (it will last forever; I've had it on a cross bike for years), but trust me on this one. The lighter-blue Cinelli (or any other brand of similarly-hued tape) bar tape will definitely provide a beautiful complement to the blue highlights on your lovely steed.

Black bar tape indicates that a bike's owner (caregiver?) possesses limited imagination, utter soullessness, and grimy hands. It's really a cry for help. Doug, I'm here for you, buddy. Let me help!

Dale "Blue Boy" Brigham

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast