New wheels, new free-hub, new chain, new chainring ... 0.4 miles and I'm screwed!
    banned
    Jul 2013

New wheels, new free-hub, new chain, new chainring ... 0.4 miles and I'm screwed!

Today's ride was short. Fortunately it was a 0.4 mi walk home. I managed to get off before it deflated, so hopefully I can save this nearly new 40mm XPLOR MSO.

a real member's member
    fixing a flat is part of the experience.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On the bright side, that dry wall screw didn't go through the rim.
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Jul 2013
    It almost did. I just pulled it out, and it was one long screw. It penetrated the rim tape. If I didn't have HED+ rims, I would have ruined a new November wheel with less than 20 miles on it.

At least it happened very close to home, so I could fix it in the comfort of my black-widow-infested garage.

I think I was able to save the tire. This one I put on the back when I got a new front one last week, so if I have to replace it, at least I got some life out of it. Probably time to order a new one...

I live on a nearly deserted road. The first (and only) car to pass me offered me a lift (I didn't bother since it was so close to home).

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    At least it happened very close to home, so I could fix it in the comfort of my black-widow-infested garage.
    When I moved in to my house it was the same. I really hate those huge fat black bellies and all of the webs and... no like.

A month ago I found the first one I've seen in a couple years. It wasn't in the garage though, it was inside a room that's mostly under ground. See, the garage now is populated with wolf spiders but I don't allow them in the house. I love my wolf spiders, I really do. They handle everything, they're quite badass.
    use a torque wrench

banned
    Jul 2013
    I've had one living right under the bike work-stand for more than a year now. She seems bigger. Sometimes I clear out her egg sacks. The webs are pretty nasty and stick to everything. We have them under the house, too.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ia-348649.html

I completely forgot about this:

RoadBikeReview Member
    aw spiders

scary looking but beneficial. good entertainment watching the wife go mental seeing them, and even funnier when the cat just runs up, bats at it and then -gulp- gone

Off the back
    I wonder if you can use one of those automotive tire plugs for car tires. The kits sell at most auto parts stores.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    aw spiders

scary looking but beneficial. good entertainment watching the wife go mental seeing them, and even funnier when the cat just runs up, bats at it and then -gulp- gone
    I'm not particularly afraid of them, but it is my wife who went under the house to thread my speaker wires.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I wonder if you can use one of those automotive tire plugs for car tires. The kits sell at most auto parts stores.
    I was thinking about that, but removing the screw basically jammed material back into the hole, so I think it is good the way it is. The main casualty appears to be one of the knobs got chewed off. The tire I just took off had those all ground off the center. I'll probably retire (get it) it early, just to be safe, but it survived a 12 mile shakedown ride this afternoon. The tube, however, was shredded, so I broke down and put a new one in.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    They actually make then for bike tires, too. Mainly designed for tubeless setups.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!