Newbe trainer mistake and question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

Newbe trainer mistake and question

Been cycling for abt two years and just had a baby so i bought myself a trainer. Tested it out for the first time yesterday and new that something was wrong. I set it up and used the skewer that it came with. I didn't understand why the skewer did not come with springs? So, i figured I'd take the springs off my bike and put them on the trainer skewer. Problem was that my springs do not release off my rear skewer. I thought, well if it didnt come with springs then maybe they sent it that way on purpose. Long story short, rode on the trainer without springs and knew right away that something was wrong. Bike was not shifting properly at all. It would go from one gear to another without shifting and i would have to double shift in order to get to the gear i wanted to be in. I dont know if this is due to the skewers or the cable being slightly stretched around the trainer attachment. I rode for about twenty minutes and decided that was enough. Rode it today with springs from an old bike and immediately realized that the problem was solved.

Could i have caused any damage within a short 20 min ride (no springs)?
    Are all springs the same size?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by chuckd; 03-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Sep 2007
    As far as I know, the sole purpose of the springs is to help position/centre the skewer on the wheel when you are using the quick release to remove/replace the wheel. There can't be any structural integrity coming from the springs since they are very weak. It is likely that you ended up with the wheel inserted incorrectly - e.g. askew or not sufficiently tightened and that messed up your chain-line causing the bad shifts. I can't see any harm coming from this as described. Now if you dropped the chain or threw the RD into the spokes that could cause some problems, but you'd surely have mentioned that!

If the spring fits on the skewer, it'll work. Make sure you get them the right orientation!
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't imagine that the skewer springs could have any effect on shifting. In fact, those springs don't do anything once the QR is tightened -- they just make it a little easier to put the wheel on, by maintaining a space for the dropout to slip into. I think you just got your shifter cable hung up on something when you put the bike on the trainer the first time, and you fixed it the second time.

So, to answer your question: you didn't damage anything.

donuts?
    the springs make it easier to remove the wheel quickly, nothing else.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    When i said newbe to riding on a trainer i wasn't kidding. You guys are without a doubt right. My setup on the trainer was wrong. Thanks for answering. Back to the ipod and trainer.

Cheers