newbie question.

Aug 2004

newbie question.

Hello. I've been mountain biking for about 2 years and have been really interested in road biking but I didnt want to spend a gazillion dollars on a bike. Actually I didnt want to spend more than $500, just in case I end up not liking it. Well, after 6 months of searching for a deal, I just bought a 2004 Fuji Ace (aluminum, Sora comps) for $450. They threw in some pedals so I decided on SPDs, so I could use the same shoes that I have for my MTB.

Anyway. I went on my first ride today and I loved it. But I guess my question has to do with the pedals. Almost everyone else I saw had the Look-style pedals.

How much of an advantage/difference do these offer over SPDs and why? I'm not really looking to race or anything, I just want more of a workout and more miles.

Also, The Sora thumbs shifters suck from the drops.... hard to reach without twisting your hand. I was wondering if there is a company that sells "adapters" which lengthen these so they're easily reachable. If not, I'm considering fashioning some of my own! I see no weakness with the bike besides this and am otherwise satisfied.

Responses appreciated.
    Chris

Thanks!
    - Chris

53T
    The Right Wing

Welcome to the road

Quote Originally Posted by cdloental78
    Hello. I've been mountain biking for about 2 years and have been really interested in road biking but I didnt want to spend a gazillion dollars on a bike. Actually I didnt want to spend more than $500, just in case I end up not liking it. Well, after 6 months of searching for a deal, I just bought a 2004 Fuji Ace (aluminum, Sora comps) for $450. They threw in some pedals so I decided on SPDs, so I could use the same shoes that I have for my MTB.

Anyway. I went on my first ride today and I loved it. But I guess my question has to do with the pedals. Almost everyone else I saw had the Look-style pedals.

How much of an advantage/difference do these offer over SPDs and why? I'm not really looking to race or anything, I just want more of a workout and more miles.
    If you have stiff soled MTB shoes, there is no advantage to the Look system. In fact the SPD system has several advantages 1)walkability 2)you can use your MTB shoes 3)the SPD cleats are not fragile plastic like the Looks.

If you want to get raod shoes and pedals for reduced weight, check out speedplays.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Hold on there Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by 53T
    If you have stiff soled MTB shoes, there is no advantage to the Look system. In fact the SPD system has several advantages 1)walkability 2)you can use your MTB shoes 3)the SPD cleats are not fragile plastic like the Looks.

If you want to get raod shoes and pedals for reduced weight, check out speedplays.
    I gotta call you on the "fragile plastic" cleat comment. I've been riding Look pedal system since 1991. I have never broken a Look cleat, nor have I ever heard of someone breaking a Look cleat on a road bike, not that it has never happened. I'm fairly certain they are nylon, not plastic. They wear down in the front part of the triangle they form, I'm yet to break one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Uh, nylon IS plastic

There are many types of plastic, and nylon (polyamide) is one of them.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Also, The Sora thumbs shifters suck from the drops.... hard to reach without twisting your hand. I was wondering if there is a company that sells "adapters" which lengthen these so they're easily reachable.
    Nope, sorry. Sora sucks, and that's one of the reasons why they do. Face it-you cheaped out, and that's what you get. For $450, you could've gotten a good used roadbike, and one that won't fall apart on you in a couple of years, like the one you bought. Live and learn....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Oct 2002

Good for you

Now get out and enjoy. I came to road riding from the mtn bike world as well. IMHO, nothing wrong with SPDs/mtn shoes. I use that setup for commuting, as I can walk to work in my bike shoes MUCH easier. I find my road shoes are a bit stiffer in the “upper” area during hard efforts, which is why I use them.

I built a $400 Nashbar road frame a few years back & “cheaped out” & went with sora levers/shifters when I couldn’t find anything better in 8-speed. The thumb thing is a pain from the drops, but I think this group is aimed more at the recreational cyclist that rides more often in the hoods, and they are sweet when you're in the hoods. They've worked just fine for the past 2-3,000 miles though.

In General:
    Don’t look here for a “thumbs up” on your gear choices – the roadie fashion police can’t stomach the “regular guy look” when it shows up on a road bike, be it clothing or components. Just give them a wide berth on the roads, their bike-handling skills often leave much to be desired.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cdloental78
    ...How much of an advantage/difference do these offer over SPDs and why?...The Sora thumbs shifters suck from the drops....
    Thanks!
    - Chris

Oct 2002

well, now you have.

I always broke one of the rear "ears" off. I went through 3 cleats in maybe 5 years, so it wasn't a big deal or anything, but they did eventually break. Maybe you replace yours often enough so you don't run into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    I gotta call you on the "fragile plastic" cleat comment. I've been riding Look pedal system since 1991. I have never broken a Look cleat, nor have I ever heard of someone breaking a Look cleat on a road bike, not that it has never happened. I'm fairly certain they are nylon, not plastic. They wear down in the front part of the triangle they form, I'm yet to break one.

Aug 2004
    Yeah, the mountain bike police are the same. They think if you don't have full-suspension, disc brakes, and the works, that theres no way you're bike is worth anything. I can outride alot of those dudes and I cant wait to get better than those roadies with the $5000 bikes.

Thx for the responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cmgauch
    Now get out and enjoy. I came to road riding from the mtn bike world as well. IMHO, nothing wrong with SPDs/mtn shoes. I use that setup for commuting, as I can walk to work in my bike shoes MUCH easier. I find my road shoes are a bit stiffer in the �upper� area during hard efforts, which is why I use them.

I built a $400 Nashbar road frame a few years back & �cheaped out� & went with sora levers/shifters when I couldn�t find anything better in 8-speed. The thumb thing is a pain from the drops, but I think this group is aimed more at the recreational cyclist that rides more often in the hoods, and they are sweet when you're in the hoods. They've worked just fine for the past 2-3,000 miles though.

In General:
    Don�t look here for a �thumbs up� on your gear choices � the roadie fashion police can�t stomach the �regular guy look� when it shows up on a road bike, be it clothing or components. Just give them a wide berth on the roads, their bike-handling skills often leave much to be desired.

- Chris