Newbie to RBR - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to RBR

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    What components does it have? Like Dura-Ace 9000? Is cassette original, has the fellow changed chains, etc?
    And of course my question is what is the seller asking for it? Regardless of components, I wouldn't offer much for a bike with 10-12K miles unless the cassette, crankset and wheels were replaced recently. Not to mention that I would be very careful about buying a used carbon bike without first taking it to a shop and having them check the frame carefully.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Thank you, jet dog, for your response. It's a full Dura-Ace 9000 group setup. In addition, I'm hoping to have those questions about the cassette/crank/wheels answered soon.
    What components does it have? Like Dura-Ace 9000? Is cassette original, has the fellow changed chains, etc?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Morning Lombard, thanks for your response. The seller is asking $2,500USD for it. The challenge for me is the seller is on the west coast, and I'm on the east. An opportunity to bring it to my LBS is out of the question. I'd be going by, hopefully, his honesty about the frame condition. I suppose he could bring it to his LBS and have them document a maintenance report(?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And of course my question is what is the seller asking for it? Regardless of components, I wouldn't offer much for a bike with 10-12K miles unless the cassette, crankset and wheels were replaced recently. Not to mention that I would be very careful about buying a used carbon bike without first taking it to a shop and having them check the frame carefully.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    If you're not going to reply to my posts with some honest information about riding and quite frankly, some civility, rudge66, please remove yourself from this discussion. There are other social media platforms you can use to go play on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    @JohnnyRider,
    I think youíre in the best position to answer this question.
    Youíre a big boy now, time to make some tough decisions on your own.
    Trust me you can do it ..
    we have faith in you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @JohnnyRider
    Come on, no matter what we say youíre still gonna have to use
    common sense and make a decision on your own.
    We canít do it for you,
    nor should we.
    Last edited by rudge66; 01-14-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRider View Post
    Morning Lombard, thanks for your response. The seller is asking $2,500USD for it. The challenge for me is the seller is on the west coast, and I'm on the east. An opportunity to bring it to my LBS is out of the question. I'd be going by, hopefully, his honesty about the frame condition. I suppose he could bring it to his LBS and have them document a maintenance report(?).
    This sounds complicated. 3,000 mile in between you two for what MAY or MAY NOT be a good deal. And who will pay to have the bike shipped to you? $2,500 is pretty steep for a 10-12K mile bike even with 9000 - may be a worn out 9000 which sounds about as appealing as a root canal. It's not like this is even an unusual bike, it's a Trek Madone for crying out loud, there are plenty of these!

Personally, I would pass. There will be other opportunities.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    @JohnnyRider,
    I think youíre in the best position to answer this question.
    Youíre a big boy now, time to make some tough decisions on your own.
    Trust me you can do it ..
    we have faith in you.
    Come on Rudge. Let the brother seek advice.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Happy New Year riders! I'm just getting back into somewhat of a routine after the holidays. Hope all of yours were nice...and wishing everyone health and prosperity in 2020!

So, I've got my eye on a 2014 Trek Madone in what I would call VG/E condition. I've been going back and forth with my questions to the owner. He states that there's approximately 10-12K (2K/year) of miles on the rig.

What are your thoughts on that mileage amount? Too much? Something to be concerned with (without the proper maintenance, of course)? It looks to be in great shape, no crashes or spills, and 'properly' maintained, according to him.
    Here's my thoughts, and I'll spare critiquing the other experts here, although I doubt I'll get the same treatment.

It is a 6 year old bike, so it should be selling for at least half of what it retailed for, if not less. Like cars, bikes halve in value pretty fast. That said, its got really nice components and pretty low miles for a six year old bike. At the least you might expect to have to replace the brake pads, chain and cassette. These aren't expensive, and you don't need to buy Dura Ace parts as replacements. Ultegra is at least half the cost, works just fine, and in the case of the cassette, lasts longer. If its got 10-12k on it, these items have been changed a couple of times hopefully. It is possible that you may need new chain rings, but I kind of doubt that. I've got over 10k miles on the bike I rode in today (Campy Athena parts) and the chain rings are just fine. Its my guess that someone who spends the extra cash on Dura Ace components probably took pretty good care of the bike.

Wheels ... this is the biggest cost cutting item I see on bikes these days. Trek makes its own "branded" wheels. They don't say Trek on them ... is it Bontrager these days? ... but Trek makes them and chances are, they aren't very good. The other one I see is some variant of the Mavic Ksyrium that goes for $200 a set if you actually bought them. If its got nice wheels on it, that would be a real positive.

The frame ... carbon frames are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. If there's no visible crash blemishes, the frame is probably fine. Unless the seller's LBS has some kind of x-ray or MRI machine, whatever inspection they do is worth what you pay for it. I have a 2001 Colnago C-40 I've been riding since 2001. Rode it 50 miles on Sunday. Its on its second set of components and still holding together just fine.

$2500 for the bike (shipping is another $100 I assume) is a bit on the high side IMO. Especially for a bike that is about as common as a Toyota Camry. There's nothing on your side of the country?

I do think that you can get a lot more bike buying something used, than going to a LBS and plunking down $2500. There's a lot of folks out there who spend money on a nice bike and then decide its not for them and the thing sits in the garage.

Good luck and welcome back to the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    I appreciate your option. However, there aren't many 62-64cm rides available out there, though, Lombard. My search includes other brands, but only the ones who make 'tall(er)' rider sizes.
    This sounds complicated. 3,000 mile in between you two for what MAY or MAY NOT be a good deal. And who will pay to have the bike shipped to you? $2,500 is pretty steep for a 10-12K mile bike even with 9000 - may be a worn out 9000 which sounds about as appealing as a root canal. It's not like this is even an unusual bike, it's a Trek Madone for crying out loud, there are plenty of these!

Personally, I would pass. There will be other opportunities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Morning pmf, appreciate you taking the time to comprise the detailed response! There are still some nice people left in the world.

The majority of 62-64cm rides I'm finding are out on the west coast, unfortunately. A couple of 62cm TREKs near me got swiped up fast. A 63cm Cannondale CAAD12 did as well. I agree with you buying used. My reasons for not buying used are twofold (1) price, most new bikes are 'easily' in that $2/3K range for a well-equipped rig and (2) of the half-dozen or so LBS's in my area, all of the 62-64cm rides in 2019-20 models sell out like gangbusters.

I'm hoping the seller will get back to me with the frame and component age/issues questions that I've asked him, and go from there.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Here's my thoughts, and I'll spare critiquing the other experts here, although I doubt I'll get the same treatment.

It is a 6 year old bike, so it should be selling for at least half of what it retailed for, if not less. Like cars, bikes halve in value pretty fast. That said, its got really nice components and pretty low miles for a six year old bike. At the least you might expect to have to replace the brake pads, chain and cassette. These aren't expensive, and you don't need to buy Dura Ace parts as replacements. Ultegra is at least half the cost, works just fine, and in the case of the cassette, lasts longer. If its got 10-12k on it, these items have been changed a couple of times hopefully. It is possible that you may need new chain rings, but I kind of doubt that. I've got over 10k miles on the bike I rode in today (Campy Athena parts) and the chain rings are just fine. Its my guess that someone who spends the extra cash on Dura Ace components probably took pretty good care of the bike.

Wheels ... this is the biggest cost cutting item I see on bikes these days. Trek makes its own "branded" wheels. They don't say Trek on them ... is it Bontrager these days? ... but Trek makes them and chances are, they aren't very good. The other one I see is some variant of the Mavic Ksyrium that goes for $200 a set if you actually bought them. If its got nice wheels on it, that would be a real positive.

The frame ... carbon frames are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. If there's no visible crash blemishes, the frame is probably fine. Unless the seller's LBS has some kind of x-ray or MRI machine, whatever inspection they do is worth what you pay for it. I have a 2001 Colnago C-40 I've been riding since 2001. Rode it 50 miles on Sunday. Its on its second set of components and still holding together just fine.

$2500 for the bike (shipping is another $100 I assume) is a bit on the high side IMO. Especially for a bike that is about as common as a Toyota Camry. There's nothing on your side of the country?

I do think that you can get a lot more bike buying something used, than going to a LBS and plunking down $2500. There's a lot of folks out there who spend money on a nice bike and then decide its not for them and the thing sits in the garage.

Good luck and welcome back to the road.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I guess I can understand having to be less picky with the size you're looking for. A lot less to choose from in 62-64 cm. A Camry with flames.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I guess I can understand having to be less picky with the size you're looking for. A lot less to choose from in 62-64 cm. A Camry with flames.
    Sorry, I missed the part about your frame size. But this brings another issue and that is of being able to swap out seatposts if your frame happens to be a bit too large or too small and your post is too short or too long to accommodate. IIRC, the Trek bikes have a proprietary seatpost, correct? If this is the case, I would definitely pass.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Valid point, Lombard. Yes, TREK/Bontrager does use a proprietary design, available in multiple lengths.
    Sorry, I missed the part about your frame size. But this brings another issue and that is of being able to swap out seatposts if your frame happens to be a bit too large or too small and your post is too short or too long to accommodate. IIRC, the Trek bikes have a proprietary seatpost, correct? If this is the case, I would definitely pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Hi stogies4life, yes, I peruse that site daily and have some specific search alerts set. I also search https://www.theproscloset.com as well as https://www.bikeexchange.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by stogies4life View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Happy New Year riders! I'm just getting back into somewhat of a routine after the holidays. Hope all of yours were nice...and wishing everyone health and prosperity in 2020!

So, I've got my eye on a 2014 Trek Madone in what I would call VG/E condition. I've been going back and forth with my questions to the owner. He states that there's approximately 10-12K (2K/year) of miles on the rig.

What are your thoughts on that mileage amount? Too much? Something to be concerned with (without the proper maintenance, of course)? It looks to be in great shape, no crashes or spills, and 'properly' maintained, according to him.
    Hi Johnny! No offense. I donít like this deal at all. Iím not anti-used bike, both my current road bikes were bought off Craigís List. Both great buys and both with thousands of good miles on them without any weirdness. My Scott Foil is CF. No issues. That said, why is the groupo a question at all? This is basic. As Lombard said, this isnít an exotic bike, especially in this vintage. Sight unseen? Not me. If the frame size is rare so should be the buyer pool, no? Something in this equation isnít adding up for me. Again, itís just me, albeit, I scour the used market regularly. You may be forced into buying new if the frame size just isnít out there. Buy a good frame with 105 and cheap wheels. Upgrade as you go. Or, just stay chill and watch your local (semi-local) market carefully and be ready to make an offer quick. For my Scott, I was clear with the seller, you have a nice bike at a reasonable price. I wonít haggle as long as the bike is in good condition. It was. I didnít. It was ugly as hell, yellow frame with yellow bar tape, yellow saddle and yellow tires. Frighteningly ugly. Itís better now. Itís January, you are in New England... sit tight.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Neophyte
    Price does seem high to me, too. But at end of day if it's significantly cheaper than a new bike, still a quality ride, and you have some limitations on used inventory due to frames size... Well, how badly do you want to get back into road riding? May be perfectly worth it. If it works out for you, when you are on your 20th ride a few months down the line your won't be worrying about the price you paid for it.

Of course, there is the art of the counter-offer. Not as many large frames out there, but not as many buyers, either...

Banned Sock Puppet
    My thought is rather than trying to find a needle in a haystack on eBay, Craigslist, etc., you can get a new carbon bike with 105 components for around $2,500. Bike shops can order a size if they don't have yours. Don't get too fixated on a particular brand. There are many good brands - Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Felt, Scott, etc. If they have a size close to yours, give it a test ride, then have them put in an order for your correct size. The advantage of buying from a local bike shop is support - they will put you and your new bike on a trainer and dial in your fit just right, free follow-up adjustments and minor repairs, warranty support, etc.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Neophyte
    Also true that buying new doesn't have to cost a ton... especially if you can find a previous model year bike sitting in a showroom. Often times the price is almost halved when the only real difference from the latest is paint scheme.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    I hear you, jetdog9. My main reason for looking for used is cost, plain and simple. I've been MTBing predominantly the last 10 years or so, with very minimal road riding. Part of me wants to get back into that really bad. I miss it, honestly.
    Price does seem high to me, too. But at end of day if it's significantly cheaper than a new bike, still a quality ride, and you have some limitations on used inventory due to frames size... Well, how badly do you want to get back into road riding? May be perfectly worth it. If it works out for you, when you are on your 20th ride a few months down the line your won't be worrying about the price you paid for it.

Of course, there is the art of the counter-offer. Not as many large frames out there, but not as many buyers, either...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Hi, Lombard, I've inquired at my local shops over the last year for both 2018-19 and 2020 models. The pricing on those was out of my budget range even with a 105 setup, hence my reason for looking for a used.

Felt and Scott XLs both run small from what I've tested. I was even looking at Cervťlo for a bit, but they, too, seem to run small(er).

Don't get me wrong, I bring my MTB rig as well as all FOUR of my childrens' rides to the shop yearly for their maintenance checkups/issues/etc. and I'm always trying to 'stay' and buy local, if you will.
    My thought is rather than trying to find a needle in a haystack on eBay, Craigslist, etc., you can get a new carbon bike with 105 components for around $2,500. Bike shops can order a size if they don't have yours. Don't get too fixated on a particular brand. There are many good brands - Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Felt, Scott, etc. If they have a size close to yours, give it a test ride, then have them put in an order for your correct size. The advantage of buying from a local bike shop is support - they will put you and your new bike on a trainer and dial in your fit just right, free follow-up adjustments and minor repairs, warranty support, etc.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Felt and Scott XLs both run small from what I've tested. I was even looking at Cervťlo for a bit, but they, too, seem to run small(er).
    Cannondale frames actually run on the larger size. Have you looked at the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Carbon? There is even some new/old 2018 stock for sale on eBay, $1,600 with free shipping. Wheelset is entry level, but at that price, who cares? Comes in a size 63:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Cannon...20034889?var=0

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...ku=c11750m1044

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...e-bike-review/

And if you don't have to have full carbon, you can get even lower prices.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...e1%20ascending

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Thanks, Lombard. I'm on eBay quite a bit and I didn't come across that SSE Carbon listing during my search. Thanks for sendingóI will definitely check that one out. I'm not going to be doing any 'racing' any time soon, so I don't mind the Aksium wheel setupócan always upgrade down the road.

Also, I just found this after digging around on CS earlier this afternoon:
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/b...054440356.html

Looks like a 2015. Not too many details provided. Could definitely haggle with the price, based on overall condition, etc.
    Cannondale frames actually run on the larger size. Have you looked at the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Carbon? There is even some new/old 2018 stock for sale on eBay, $1,600 with free shipping. Wheelset is entry level, but at that price, who cares? Comes in a size 63:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Cannon...20034889?var=0

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...ku=c11750m1044

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...e-bike-review/

And if you don't have to have full carbon, you can get even lower prices.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...e1%20ascending

RoadBikeReview Member

Also, I just found this after digging around on CS earlier this afternoon:
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/b...054440356.html

Looks like a 2015. Not too many details provided. Could definitely haggle with the price, based on overall condition, etc.
    No!! Donít wait and donít haggle. Do your homework. If itís a reasonable price, and it seems so to me from afar... Contact the seller immediately with a no haggle offer to buy pending your checking the bike out. I am assuming Norfolk is pretty local? Local enough? Thatíll hold the bike. Check out the condition and the fit. If they look right, give the seller his asking price for being a decent seller and holding the bike while you make a plan to go see it in person. Personally, I love that frame. It has geo like my Foil. Pretty race oriented. Iím only 6í2Ē so at your height the more aero the geo the better. You got a lot of body in the wind... Good luck Johnny!!!
    Last edited by PBL450; 01-16-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Act now! Donít let it slip away!
    Lifeís way too precious to be wrought with indecision, hand wringing and doubt.
    Go Johnny,Go !
    I hope you have a very pleasant remainder of your evening, and a wonderful experience with your new bike.
    You surely deserve it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast