Next door neighbor almost ran me over today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,294

    Next door neighbor almost ran me over today

    I really thought I was about to get killed. Stupidly, I wound up apologizing to him for screaming at him to slow down. My wife is pissed off at me for pissing off the neighbor. I think she is still mad about the custom bike and wants the life insurance payout.

    Hell is other people.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    75
    what happened? a bit more details would help. Were u in his driveway?

  3. #3
    wim
    wim is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,458
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    I think she is still mad about the custom bike and wants the life insurance payout.
    Yea, be careful. It's often occurred to me that having someone done away with by way of bicycle accident could be the perfect crime. The actual murderer will walk ("he swerved out in front of me") or get off lightly ("improper passing: 30 days community service.")

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ibericb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,578
    Did you get it on video?
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

  5. #5
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,720
    Yeah, I'd also like to hear the play-by-play of what happened.

    As for the murder, yeah if it's anything like it is here, the driver would likely get off with nothing more than a stern warning.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Squint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Yea, be careful. It's often occurred to me that having someone done away with by way of bicycle accident could be the perfect crime. The actual murderer will walk ("he swerved out in front of me") or get off lightly ("improper passing: 30 days community service.")
    That's why you need to kill them first.

  7. #7
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,825
    Going to be a shame when neighborhood youths key his car.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,294
    We are on good terms with the neighbors, and I want to keep it that way. Besides, they are really into martial arts and guns. As I was coming down-hill on a narrow one-lane spur road that leads to our collection of houses, he came around a 130 blind intersection going up a hill, accelerating right at me, making that revving sound a BMW sports-car makes when piloted by a mid-life crisis. I was coming downhill with a bunch of mail stuffed into my jersey, trying not to fall, already visualizing ankle-re-breakage scenerios, so I probably over-reacted as well.

    I guess the point of this (if any) is that anyone in a car can take you out.
    Last edited by wgscott; 05-03-2015 at 06:48 AM.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Sumguy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    343
    Every idiot is somebodies neighbor.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,583
    yeah, I almost took out two hoodrats on bikes yesterday...

    they thought it would be clever to ride the wrong way down a one-way street to save 2 secs over going the proper direction...

    I checked traffic to the left and started to enter the intersection...guess who is right in front of my car staring bullets at me like I'm some kind of dangerous driver. we exchanged unpleasantries, now I fully expect some kind of juvenile retaliation.

    having friction with people that live near you sucks.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    I was on my usual route yesterday going through Corona Del Mar southbound on Pacific Coast Highway riding on the left side lane when a huge black SUV pulled out from the right side lane and almost squeezed me into the median.

    It was sunset, but I hadn't turned on my lights yet, and it was busy traffic, hence that's why I was on the left instead of the right lane since the right lane was stopped, with cars exiting from parking spaces.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,148
    Cops, not you mouth is better. Ask a cop to give him a ticket in front of his face.


    I had a kid that lived on the next block when my kids where young. He would get that last blast down our street before crossing a side street to his dead end. I'd yell slow down and get the FU after he passed me. A few times I stood in the street and he had to stop short or run me over. Then I'd step aside and AFTER he got past he curse out the window. I called the cops and showed up on his front steps with the cop. Dad took his car away.

    Last year a hopped up Beemer made a right in front of me while I was doing 23-4 MPH and skid my front tire on a nose wheelie. Arsholes with egocentric cars think the streets are their raceways. It is bad, stupid, and I say fook your neighbor... Just do it smart and not in the grips of passion of pissedness.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,188
    I was way out in the farm roads yesterday morning, on one of my normal routes. Lost in thought, thinking about some very bad mojo going down at work, I blew thru a stop sign as a small truck was about to turn.

    It was my fault. I've ridden that road 500 times. It's a strange three way intersection with a curve, out in the middle of farm fields.

    I normally obey all stop signs, signal my turns, and am very cautious so as not to incite drivers,etc. yesterday, however, My mind wasn't thinking about the ride, or the signs.

    I'm thankful the driver was paying attention.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Pirx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,890
    Good story bro.

    Seriously, given the usual tone in these matters hereabouts, it's good to be reminded that there are conscientious and courteous drivers out there, too. Plenty of them in fact.

    Any communication between you and that truck driver? He did deserve a friendly wave...

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,270
    Yeah, I ride with a good deal of cars and the vast majority are paying attention and polite. In fact, last Sunday I was passing a spot by a church near a funeral home, both of which had tons of cars coming and going... I was carefully navigating a strip of road when an older woman entered the fray and kind of stopped-up traffic with her can and waved me through. It all took a second but I really appreciated it and waved to thank her. And she did it in a way that wasn't at all jerkey to other drivers since cars were moving so slowly anyway and she did it specifically get me through a weird traffic pattern safely.
    Last edited by PBL450; 05-03-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,849
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    ...Last year a hopped up Beemer made a right in front of me while I was doing 23-4 MPH and skid my front tire on a nose wheelie. Arsholes with egocentric cars think the streets are their raceways. It is bad, stupid, and I say fook your neighbor... Just do it smart and not in the grips of passion of pissedness.
    Reminds me of the time I was coming back to town in the tony suburb of Potomac, MD. It was rush hour and starting to rain. Everybody took their turn at the 4 way intersection, except this idiot in a Mercedes sports car. He had his top up.

    I took my turn and started making a right turn. The Mercedes pulls around me loudly in first gear, making the same right turn. I yell, "What are you doing?!!" He then slams on his brakes. I slid on the wet pavement, missing his rear bumper by inches, barely missed going right through his convertible top and joining him in his car. Fortunately the turn off to his gated community was just up the road. I caught him keying the gate with his remote. I had to put my hand on his door sill to steady myself. "Get your hand off my door!!" He couldn't bolt forward yet, and was in mortal fear I would smudge the lenses on his eyeglasses, I guess.

    "Hey man, do you realize you almost wiped me out?"

    "Get your hand off my door!!"

    "You're a lawyer, right? He looked sheepish. "You just denied me my right of way, back at that intersection! Then you tried to wipe me out. You should know better, idiot." Then, still clipped in, I removed my hand from his window sill, shoved off and went home. This was the one time I felt good after such an encounter.

    That was in '87. Haven't had another experience like that since. Drivers have sure gotten more polite around DC anyway. Back then, there was a burst in cycling activity and typically type A lawyers plentiful around DC in their sports cars felt entitled and couldn't stand to be slowed down by bicyclists.

    Now these same lawyers are probably riding Trek Madones or Pinarello Dogmas.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 05-03-2015 at 11:07 AM.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    ... "Get your hand off my door!!" ..."You're a lawyer, right?...
    "Get your hand off my door!!"...
    As soon as you put your hand on HIS CAR it becomes a perceived threat to his safety and you can be charged with disorderly conduct, I believe (Don't ask me how I know )

    Even if you claim in court it was to steady yourself because of your position on the bike relative to the car, it would require a court appearance and the services of a lawyer to convince the judge.

    You're probably right; he was a lawyer and he was playing the game.

    In the future, feel free to chew out the driver; just don't touch anything.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was coming back to town in the tony suburb of Potomac, MD. It was rush hour and starting to rain. Everybody took their turn at the 4 way intersection, except this idiot in a Mercedes sports car. He had his top up.

    I took my turn and started making a right turn. The Mercedes pulls around me loudly in first gear, making the same right turn. I yell, "What are you doing?!!" He then slams on his brakes. I slid on the wet pavement, missing his rear bumper by inches, barely missed going right through his convertible top and joining him in his car. Fortunately the turn off to his gated community was just up the road. I caught him keying the gate with his remote. I had to put my hand on his door sill to steady myself. "Get your hand off my door!!" He couldn't bolt forward yet, and was in mortal fear I would smudge the lenses on his eyeglasses, I guess.

    "Hey man, do you realize you almost wiped me out?"

    "Get your hand off my door!!"

    "You're a lawyer, right? He looked sheepish. "You just denied me my right of way, back at that intersection! Then you tried to wipe me out. You should know better, idiot." Then, still clipped in, I removed my hand from his window sill, shoved off and went home. This was the one time I felt good after such an encounter.

    That was in '87. Haven't had another experience like that since. Drivers have sure gotten more polite around DC anyway. Back then, there was a burst in cycling activity and typically type A lawyers plentiful around DC in their sports cars felt entitled and couldn't stand to be slowed down by bicyclists.

    Now these same lawyers are probably riding Trek Madones or Pinarello Dogmas.
    Personally always find Mercedes and Lexus drivers to be some of the most obnoxious drivers that could care less about anyone else's safety. Only thing worse is the minivan at school drop of or pick up.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    As soon as you put your hand on HIS CAR it becomes a perceived threat to his safety and you can be charged with disorderly conduct, I believe (Don't ask me how I know )

    Even if you claim in court it was to steady yourself because of your position on the bike relative to the car, it would require a court appearance and the services of a lawyer to convince the judge.

    You're probably right; he was a lawyer and he was playing the game.

    In the future, feel free to chew out the driver; just don't touch anything.
    Oh, yes, you are right. I was told this at the time. I probably told him that I did not intend to hurt him, just say a few words about acting childish with bicyclists. I was not threatening after he told me to get my hand off his door. I think he knew that.

    Yeah, I would never do that today, no way. I don't yell at idiots who cut me off anymore, just avoid 'em and keep going. To be honest, though, glad I scared the guy, if only for a few seconds. He had almost wiped me out on the road; this was payback.

  20. #20
    hfc
    hfc is offline
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,618
    I had a recent close call. I'm riding up a short climb on a pretty narrow, unmarked country road and a guy in a pickup with a trailer swings wide on a curve and misses me by about 2-3 feet. I start seeing red and turn around to chase him down, though not a good idea, as folks around here will as often as not carry a gun.

    The guy pulls over, steps out of the truck, holds out his hand and apologizes. He said he wasn't paying close attention and was so glad I was OK. I told him he scared the sh!t out of me, shook his hand and we went on our way.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Only thing worse is the minivan at school drop of or pick up.
    ^^This!! I stole a day off a few weeks ago to ride, it was the first beautiful day after a long winter... I set out in the middle of the day and the number of mini vans rolling through stop signs with cell phones pressed to their ears... Drivers hardly looking at all as they pulled out... Had to be nearly a dozen. No kidding, it was like an epidemic. Pick up trucks have been pretty bad recently. But close passes are a way of life, if I got nuts about all of them I'd give up riding. The ones that bug me are when no one is coming in the other direction and they buzz within a foot or two. Lately, trucks pulling boats on trailers has been white knuckle stuff. Tis the season around here.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,849
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Personally always find Mercedes and Lexus drivers to be some of the most obnoxious drivers that could care less about anyone else's safety. Only thing worse is the minivan at school drop of or pick up.
    Didn't anybody tell you Mercedes and Lexus drivers own the road?

    Around here, I could make a further distinction. Mercedes drivers tend to be authoritarian, but they drive with more shall we say, "care" than Lexus drivers. I don't know what it is about Lexus, but when driving, every other time some idiot passes and then slows down in front of me, its a Lexus. Lexus owners are the newly rich. The cars overcompensate for their insecurity. Mercedes owners act more aristocratic. Don't get in their way, but they'll usually remain in stately control. They are less likely than Lexus drivers, IME, to show off and do dumb things--or drive like scaredy cats. With the latter, you never know.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    Email your neighbor this clip:

    https://youtu.be/No_kbFvG_S4

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,849
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I had a recent close call. I'm riding up a short climb on a pretty narrow, unmarked country road and a guy in a pickup with a trailer swings wide on a curve and misses me by about 2-3 feet. I start seeing red and turn around to chase him down, though not a good idea, as folks around here will as often as not carry a gun.

    The guy pulls over, steps out of the truck, holds out his hand and apologizes. He said he wasn't paying close attention and was so glad I was OK. I told him he scared the sh!t out of me, shook his hand and we went on our way.
    How about that? Where do you live? Actually, the country folk in ETX were more likely do do that than drive off as fast as possible. We never had any incidents on the farm to market roads in TX, anywhere, only back here in elitist Washington, DC. And cyclists have won the war, hands down. These lawyers are now riding with us on their Dogmas and Madones, like I said.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,849
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    Email your neighbor this clip:

    https://youtu.be/No_kbFvG_S4
    Hilarious! Thanks ! Appropriate e mail, for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Today's adventure--trimming and rehanging a door...
    By paredown in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
  2. Had a passing car try to door me today
    By bike_guy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
  4. My neighbor is going to die today....
    By Chain in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM
  5. Look what was waiting at my door today!
    By bikerboy337 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.