Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    as an observer of rampant police corruption, thanks from all of us for retiring.
    This is the worst quote I've seen on the interwebs in a long long time. Pathetic, as well as your follow-up comment.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    This is the worst quote I've seen on the interwebs in a long long time. Pathetic, as well as your follow-up comment.
    oh, the horror! getting a "worst" and "pathetic" from ogre is certain doom!

wait a second ... that's the "worst" you've seen "on the interwebs in a long long time"? bahahaha. you had me going there...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    oh, the horror! getting a "worst" and "pathetic" from ogre is certain doom!

wait a second ... that's the "worst" you've seen "on the interwebs in a long long time"? bahahaha. you had me going there...
    So you thank someone who has spent their career in law enforcement for retiring, assuming that he (or she) should get lumped in with all of the worst snippets you’ve seen on the news? How much police corruption have you observed and how much has it directly affected you? I am assuming that he’s more than a mall cop, and I’m sure these people put their lives on the line much more than you and I do in our jobs. They probably have much more impact on the day to day outcomes of ordinary people’s lives. Do you think our country is better off with fewer LEOs?

There’s no doom from getting a few disparaging adjectives from ogre, but here’s one person who thinks there’s one more d!ckhead in this world than I originally thought. I post relatively infrequently on this forum, and I won’t comment further on this thread. I don’t e-argue. But I found your comments highly offensive.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    So you thank someone who has spent their career in law enforcement for retiring...
    yeah. sorry i did that. i accept your condemnation.

How much police corruption have you observed and how much has it directly affected you?
    do you really want to know?

They probably have much more impact on the day to day outcomes of ordinary people’s lives.
    no doubt!

Do you think our country is better off with fewer LEOs?
    how 'bout fewer and more competent?

there’s one more d!ckhead in this world than I originally thought.
    worst, pathetic, and now a diîckhead! you sure told me!

i found your comments highly offensive.
    bahahahaha! sorry to disrupt your safe space, ogre.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Meanwhile, back in the streets of the Naked City:

The incident reminded the cyclist that drivers are to blame because they are the ones who are less aware of their surroundings because they are protected by 3,000 pounds of metal.

“The problem is that not enough drivers have experienced the road on a bike,” she tweeted. “I rarely drive nowadays, but when I do get behind the wheel, I definitely feel like I’m much more aware of my surroundings, b/c I’m so used to biking.”

Every time I drive my car after riding for several days, the first thing I notice is being caged in, sensorily separated from the road and what's on it. On NY streets bicyclists could be almost invisible until it's too late. Yes, riding trains one to be aware of surroundings and it carries over to driving really well.

The cabbie knew what he was doing. He was working with the cyclist, "I slowed down." He pulled ahead and started his turn a bit too close for comfort. The cyclist could have paused slightly to allow the cab to make the turn, and that would have been it. No cop, no argument, no big deal.

The cyclist was asserting his right of way to make a point, IMO. . Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Glad to see a police officer taking strong action against that cabbie!

yeah. sorry i did that. i accept your condemnation.

do you really want to know?

no doubt!

how 'bout fewer and more competent?

worst, pathetic, and now a diîckhead! you sure told me!

bahahahaha! sorry to disrupt your safe space, ogre.
    Seems you haven't realized that your extreme and vocal hatred of police only fuels the fire for the police officers who are corrupt. Opposition creates opposition. If you want to solve a problem it takes critial thinking and deliberate action rather than spewing hatred.

Maybe it's just the area you live in but you're view point is similar to how people in the United States view Muslims. Most people seem to think all Muslims are terrorists just because of a few thousand without realizing there are literally billions of peaceful Muslims.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    it takes critial thinking and deliberate action rather than spewing hatred.
    you don't say?? i'll try to remember that next time i feel like calling someone the "worst," "pathetic," "dîckhead" "douche" "hypocrite."

you're [sic] view point is similar to how people in the United States view Muslims.
    maybe similar but different scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    you don't say?? i'll try to remember that next time i feel like calling someone the "worst," "pathetic," "dîckhead" "douche" "hypocrite."

maybe similar but different scale.
    The memories of us humans are very unreliable. Train yourself to think before reacting harshly is more effective. You'll be much more happy and you won't be adding fuel to the fire.

Sorry for the "you're." Auto correct on a Pixel 2 XL is even worse than an iPhone.
    Last edited by Fajita Dave; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Meanwhile, back in the streets of the Naked City:

The incident reminded the cyclist that drivers are to blame because they are the ones who are less aware of their surroundings because they are protected by 3,000 pounds of metal.

“The problem is that not enough drivers have experienced the road on a bike,” she tweeted. “I rarely drive nowadays, but when I do get behind the wheel, I definitely feel like I’m much more aware of my surroundings, b/c I’m so used to biking.”

Every time I drive my car after riding for several days, the first thing I notice is being caged in, sensorily separated from the road and what's on it. On NY streets bicyclists could be almost invisible until it's too late. Yes, riding trains one to be aware of surroundings and it carries over to driving really well.

The cabbie knew what he was doing. He was working with the cyclist, "I slowed down." He pulled ahead and started his turn a bit too close for comfort. The cyclist could have paused slightly to allow the cab to make the turn, and that would have been it. No cop, no argument, no big deal.

The cyclist was asserting his right of way to make a point, IMO. . Just sayin'.
    If it's at a low speed in the city I don't mind holding my position when I have the right of way just to make a point. I'm not going to let someone push me around either just because they're driving a car. As long as I have an easy way out.

Other times it just works out better for traffic flow if I yeild dispite having the right of way.

a real member's member
    Train yourself to think before reacting harshly is more effective. You'll be much more happy.
    i wonder if that kind if emotional motivation works with cops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Glad to see a police officer taking strong action against that cabbie!

Seems you haven't realized that your extreme and vocal hatred of police only fuels the fire for the police officers who are corrupt. Opposition creates opposition. If you want to solve a problem it takes critial thinking and deliberate action rather than spewing hatred.

Maybe it's just the area you live in but you're view point is similar to how people in the United States view Muslims. Most people seem to think all Muslims are terrorists just because of a few thousand without realizing there are literally billions of peaceful Muslims.
    Wow, talk about irony.

His view point is also similar to how you view "people in the United States". You're both painting with a very broad brush. He thinks all cops are corrupt. You think Americans all think the same thing about Muslims. As far as stupidity goes I'd call it a draw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it's at a low speed in the city I don't mind holding my position when I have the right of way just to make a point. I'm not going to let someone push me around either just because they're driving a car. As long as I have an easy way out.

Other times it just works out better for traffic flow if I yeild dispite having the right of way.
    Hmmm. Well, as I have always said, when on a bike, it doesn't matter if you're dead right or dead wrong, you're still DEAD.

Fighting with someone surrounded by 3,000lbs. of steel when you are wearing not much more than underwear is just plain stupid.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Wow, talk about irony.

His view point is also similar to how you view "people in the United States". You're both painting with a very broad brush. He thinks all cops are corrupt. You think Americans all think the same thing about Muslims. As far as stupidity goes I'd call it a draw.
    Statistics are easily skewed but in many placed in our country "most" people do believe Muslims are all terrorists thanks to our media. Just like in very few areas still within our country "most" cops are still racist a$$holes (possibly toward blackfrancious).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hmmm. Well, as I have always said, when on a bike, it doesn't matter if you're dead right or dead wrong, you're still DEAD.

Fighting with someone surrounded by 3,000lbs. of steel when you are wearing not much more than underwear is just plain stupid.
    ​As long as I have an easy way out.

​Just like the woman in the video did.

a real member's member
    you're both painting with a very broad brush.
    well, you use the right tool for the job. but a brush wouldn't do it. you probably need a wildfire plane.

He thinks all cops are corrupt.
    most. it's probably like 90 percent. a little more, world-wide. certainly less in canada.

RoadBikeReview Member

Exactly. This guy didn't have an easy way out, so yes, better not to play chicken with a car cutting cyclist off and he can't jump sideways onto the curb.

Also agree; assert your right of way because motorists expect it and accept it, providing they see you and are paying attention. But if they aren't, yes, always choose the easiest way out, not that hard on a bike!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    never heard that one. goddamn, that's clever.

no, in my profession, you can't read about corruption for weeks or watch youtube videos for days and days and not even scratch the surface of the problem. but that's what it's like without the ability to punish and intimdate behind badge and gun.
    Could it be that your profession doesn't deal with situations that deal with belligerent people and the selective video editing of their friends promoting a mostly bogus cause?

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as stupidity goes I'd call it a draw.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jay Strongbow again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Could it be that your profession doesn't deal with situations that deal with belligerent people and the selective video editing of their friends promoting a mostly bogus cause?
    yeah, all the youtubes of awful cops are "mostly bogus."

nice "selective editing," yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    yeah, all the youtubes of awful cops are "mostly bogus."

nice "selective editing," yourself.
    Videos of confrontations that don't show the entire unedited incident from beginning to end provide little insight into the actions of all parties involved.

Cops are not necessarily "awful" for wanting to do what's necessary to increase their odds of remaining alive. Many have wives and children who depend on them for support.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Videos of confrontations that don't show the entire unedited incident from beginning to end provide little insight into the actions of all parties involved.
    logical people can figure it out.

people that want to make excuses have a really hard time with the truth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    logical people can figure it out.

people that want to make excuses have a really hard time with the truth.
    It's pretty irrational to assume that a video of a physical confrontation demonstrates much without the lead-in to that confrontation. Without determining what threats were made (if any), what verbal belligerence was demonstrated, and the degree of compliance with verbal commands of the authorities, only illogical people would claim to have figured it out.

Cops have little prior knowledge of the level of danger or the state of substance impairment associated with a beligerant individual. If they expect to survive, they have to assume that, when their authority is challenged, the challenger believes he is prepared to physically win the resulting conflict.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12