nice to see a cop doing the right thing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

RoadBikeReview Member
    … admittedly, I've posted this here before, but one day I was in a group of cyclist LEGALLY riding two abreast on a local 4 lane divided road where some drivers had decided to ride our rear wheels when suddenly, a cop warned them off over his cruiser's PA.

[REDACTED]
    This is good to see. And she kept his PBA card when he tried to use it to weasel out of a ticket!
    Last edited by Lombard; 12-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    Goose to see???
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Goose to see???
    Fat fingers! Corrected.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    And they promptly blow up her spot by reporting her earnings? To what end?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    That's not a lot of money in NYC.

a real member's member

thought it might be an in-uniform suicide video
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    You are arguing for a Finnish or Swiss system of justice. You may be right.

Finland’s system for calculating fines is relatively simple: It starts with an estimate of the amount of spending money a Finn has for one day, and then divides that by two—the resulting number is considered a reasonable amount of spending money to deprive the offender of. Then, based on the severity of the crime, the system has rules for how many days the offender must go without that money. Going about 15 mph over the speed limit gets you a multiplier of 12 days, and going 25 mph over carries a 22-day multiplier.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    You are arguing for a Finnish or Swiss system of justice. You may be right.

Finland’s system for calculating fines is relatively simple: It starts with an estimate of the amount of spending money a Finn has for one day, and then divides that by two—the resulting number is considered a reasonable amount of spending money to deprive the offender of. Then, based on the severity of the crime, the system has rules for how many days the offender must go without that money. Going about 15 mph over the speed limit gets you a multiplier of 12 days, and going 25 mph over carries a 22-day multiplier.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/
    This seems fair.

But what does this have to do with the officer's earnings being mentioned in the article? Come to think of it, what does the officer's earnings have to do with this incident, period?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    thought it might be an in-uniform suicide video
    As a retired LEO, all I can say is stay classy.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    As a retired LEO, all I can say is stay classy.
    as an observer of rampant police corruption, thanks from all of us for retiring.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

[REDACTED]
    as an observer of rampant police corruption, thanks from all of us for retiring.
    This was totally uncalled for. There are rogues in all professions and the police are no exception. You should not paint with such a broad brush.

In this incident, the officer did the right thing. The cab driver engaged in dangerous behavior and then tried to weasel out with his friend's PBA card. How blatantly stupid could he be? Kudos to the officer.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This seems fair.

But what does this have to do with the officer's earnings being mentioned in the article? Come to think of it, what does the officer's earnings have to do with this incident, period?
    Being a public employee in a union, I'd bet that info is publicly posted. In this case, I'm betting that the "journalist" writing this story chose to add as many 'extra facts' as could be found online, instead of going out and finding any useful facts in the real world. If the officer's online posting included membership in some weird sub-culture, I'm certain that would've been added as well.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Won't bother defending my service record to you since it won't do a lick of good in changing your mind. However, that you can't see the ethical irony in your above post contrasted with that of the one hoping for an officer filming their suicide, well, that makes you a special kind of hypocrite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Goose to see???
    partridge in a pear tree it is!

RoadBikeReview Member
    you aren't all of us. don't be a douche by painting everyone with one broad brush.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    you aren't all of us.
    you're right. sorry i wrote i was all of us. my bad.

don't be a douche.
    you first.

a real member's member
    Won't bother defending my service record to you since it won't do a lick of good in changing your mind. However, that you can't see the ethical irony in your above post contrasted with that of the one hoping for an officer filming their suicide, well, that makes you a special kind of hypocrite.
    "hoping"?

"hypocrite"?

"ethical irony"?

[REDACTED]
    you're right. sorry i wrote i was all of us. my bad.

you first.
    Do you know where the shift key is on your device? You should get acquainted with it.
    Last edited by Lombard; 12-16-2018 at 06:35 AM.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by lombard View Post
    do you know where the shift key is on your device? You should get acquainted with it.
    zing!

[REDACTED]
    zing!
    I see what you did there. Clever - NOT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "hoping"?

"hypocrite"?

"ethical irony"?

Amazing retort. You must be a hit at parties.

I'm sure your "profession" is really important and free of corrupt types, but you won't share 'cause e-thugs gonna e-thug.

Also, feel free to extend your e-peen and take the last word, I've wasted enough time on you.

a real member's member
    You must be a hit at parties.
    never heard that one. goddamn, that's clever.

I'm sure your "profession" is really important and free of corrupt types, but you won't share 'cause e-thugs gonna e-thug.
    no, in my profession, you can't read about corruption for weeks or watch youtube videos for days and days and not even scratch the surface of the problem. but that's what it's like without the ability to punish and intimdate behind badge and gun.

[REDACTED]
    Why do I get a feeling the mods are going to move this thread over to PO soon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast