NiteRider Sol, NiteRider MiNewt 250 Cordless or Light & Motion Vis 360?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

NiteRider Sol, NiteRider MiNewt 250 Cordless or Light & Motion Vis 360?

I'm looking at getting one of the following lights - NiteRider Sol, NiteRider MiNewt 250 Cordless or Light & Motion Vis 360. I don't plan to do alot of night time riding, just dawn or dusk riding(daylight savings). I want to be visible to traffic, plus see the road(with some street lights). Thanks for your feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I had a sol and have the minewt 250 cordless, of the 2 I prefer the minewt as my helmet light. IMO the weakness of the minewt is the bar clamp, you really have to make sure that its tight on the bar. A friend lost his while riding over some rough road. Since I bought it for my helmet, this was not a consideration for me. Was considering the L&M Vis 360, but I preferred the higher lumin output of the minewt. For a rear light, I'm using planet bike superflash in flash mode. Have recieved comments from people in cars that they can really see the flash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I have the minewt 250 and it feels heavy on my head. I long ago lost the bar mounts on the trails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's your budget, how fast do you ride, etc.? I think there are a lot of choices out there that will give you better light for less spend than what you have mentioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cheap and easy is a Planet Bike 2W Blaze. The 1W is nearly as bright. In flashing mode they're really bright and I get cars flashing their high beams at me on heavy overcast days, never mind nighttime. For the way I use these lights (flashing, or steady to finish a ride at dusk), the AAs last long enough and are much more convenient than a rechargeable light. For more serious nighttime excursions on and off road, I have a 700+ lumen HiD light, but nowadays you can get 700+ from LED lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I got the MiNewt 250 this year and absolutely love it.. I've only used it on the bar on the road.. I've had no trouble with the mount, maybe it doesn't work as well on the older/smaller diameter bars? It clamps on extremely tightly on a 31.8 bar. The roads suck here and it's held fine over the bumps.

I also have an older NR light which as far as I can tell is 160 lumens.. I wouldn't go down to something like the Sol, 115 seems like it would not be terribly sufficient as your main light. There is a big difference between 160 and 250 in my experience. With 160 I felt like I had to avoid going much over 20mph to avoid running into potholes, with 250 I feel like I can pretty much let the bike run.

Also NiMH batteries just suck.. although mine is still fine (the older NR light) the charge time & lack of trust in the battery are annoying.. Lithium Ion with it's easy charging and longer life is very reassuring.

As looigi said if you just want to "be seen" all the small lights are cheap & easy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I want to stay under $150 - around $100 +/- would be best. Just because I don't think I'll do that much riding in the dark. I probably won't be riding faster than 15 mph. I appreciate your input. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    I want to stay under $150 - around $100 +/- would be best. Just because I don't think I'll do that much riding in the dark. I probably won't be riding faster than 15 mph. I appreciate your input. Thanks
    You probably can't go wrong with this on sale. May be more light than you need, but the price is right and it gives you more options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    BetweenRides, thanks. Last year I was thinking about MS but with the problems they were having I didn't give it a second thought, sounds like they've been 'revamped'.

Good news everyone!
    I use a Magicshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    DiNotte 200al. It is plenty bright for what you do and has a nice flashing mode.

Hanging 10 bra
    I love the 250, however as stated above, its a tad heavy on my helmet, but has saved my life many times. When you blast that light on the drivers side window on side coming traffic, they stop and notice lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    So is it better if I use a helmet mounted light rather than a bar mount? Or should I be getting 2 lights, a weaker bar mount light?

Hanging 10 bra
    The reason I really like the helmet mount, is that anywhere you look the light goes with you and some of these dark roads with no lights, its worth its weight in gold! I also love the helmet mount light when the side traffic approaches the stop sign, I place the light on the drivers side window to make sure they are aware of my presence. This esp works for those with dark tinted windows too, as most bikes dont have much reflective on the side nor lights. I also have a bar mounted light for the front too that isnt as bright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks I appreciate your input. I think I'm going with the Cygolite 250 & get a weaker bar light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Helmet mounted lights have their advantages. This setup its pretty slick:

http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    Thanks I appreciate your input. I think I'm going with the Cygolite 250 & get a weaker bar light.
    I got my wife a Cygolite 310 a couple of years ago for around $175 from Performance. Its a nice light. I then discovered Magic Shine lights from Geoman. For $100, I think its just as good if not better than the Cygolite. I've had a number of lights over the years -- Niterider being the worst of them -- and this is the best bang for the buck light I've ever had. It puts out a lot of light (I do thing the 900 lumens is an over-estimate though). They've got the battery issue resolved. I think they're worth a look. I'd definitely buy another one.

Also, I don't understand why people want to helmet mount a light. Your primary light should be mounted on the bar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf
    ...Also, I don't understand why people want to helmet mount a light. Your primary light should be mounted on the bar.
    I think it really is a personal preference and depends a lot on the type riding you do. I learned about lights and night riding in large part through the mtbr forums, which is mostly populated by singletrack, commuters and downhill riders. The general feeling there is that your best light should be on the bars, but a good helmet light is absolutely necessary to see around corners and look up the trail. That being said, many prefer the opposite arrangement. I generally ride road or flat trails here in the Midwest, so a bar light is fine for me and I just carry a torch on the helmet for the occasional twist in the trail and as a backup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I recently upgraded (from a "be seen" LED flashing Viewpoint Flare 5) to the MagicShine MJ-836 (NIB, $62.55 shipped from a U.S. eBay seller).

I've done one ride thus far that finished after dark. Bar mounted on my Orbea Opal. Battery pack rides securely in my "Bento Box" along with a spare tube.

The MJ-836 is quite impressive, especially considering the price. I don't see out-riding this light unless traveling over 30mph (which I'd be hesitant to do at night anyway). Oncoming cars seem to notice me from a long way off (much farther than my old light).

It has two modes - high and low. The power button glows green and switches to red if your battery pack falls below 25%. That's a nice feature since lithium packs tend to react poorly to being fully discharged (especially numerous times).

Mountain bikers apparently don't like the new mount compared to the old MJ-808, but it works fine on a road bike.