Notification of Information Regarding My Personal Information
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Notification of Information Regarding My Personal Information

I'm seeking input regarding a notification from the local bicycle club for which I am a member. So far I plan to visit my credit union to discuss the core issue contained in the following email:

The Road Division of the Arctic Bike Club collected your Alaska driverís license number and the last four digits of your social security number in order to facilitate you(r) access to Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson for the upcoming Spring Stage Race and other events to be held on base. Unfortunately, this information was accidentally attached to an email that was sent to about 1200 recipients on the Road Divisionís email list. We have taken every step available to minimize the distribution of this information, and believe it is limited to only the actual recipients of the email. So far, only 27 users have accessed the list of personal information. If you provided information for a family member, please relay this notice to them since we may not have contact information for each of your family members.

We believe it is unlikely that your personal information will be used in an inappropriate way, especially since your entire social security number was not disclosed. Nonetheless, you should take precautions to guard against the misuse of your information that could result in identity theft.

The ABC have some wonderful people putting in a lot of time and effort and they're doing a great job. The volunteers are mostly professional people and the operation of the club reflects this.

I personally have never had any difficulty entering the base and the main issue the club was attempting to address were the large number of cyclist waiting until the last possible moment to gain access to the base. Driver's license, proof of insurance, vehicle registration and the last four digits of the social security number are required for consideration prior to access to the base.

My understanding is that the club working with base security came to a decision to maintain a list as sort of a pre-authorization for expedited access to the base. The proceedure is still the same requiring checking-in but the collection of required information isn't necessary thus speeding things up significantly.

At the time I felt that the collection of my personal information was necessary for the efficient operation of club functions with the reasonable expectation that the collection and retention of personal information would be protected and secure.

I'm thinking of credit monitoring and possibly a re-issuing of two credit cards but what I dred is having to look over my shoulder for the next five or so years to make sure nothing comes of this. So I was hoping for feedback from members of this forum and what they would do if in my shoes. Thanks

Not a rocket surgeon.
    And the reason I never give anyone or any organization my real information. You would suprised at how few places actually catch that you just made up all the info they requested. I have been doing it for years. Like at least 25 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    And the reason I never give anyone or any organization my real information. You would suprised at how few places actually catch that you just made up all the info they requested. I have been doing it for years. Like at least 25 years.

Thanks tihsepa for reminding me. With the exception of the use of false information I have been really anal about giving out this information like yourself. I let my guard down for one instance because I like the road surfaces and some of the road events held on base.

At the least I think the club is going to have to cover the cost of credit monitoring for at least 12 months but I'm going to wait until I get some professional advice first. The club isn't going to like this but this is the cost of accidentally screwing up big time.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Most likely you will be fine. Put a fraud watch on your credit and you will be fine.

I really hope this works out for you.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    This. If the Kroger company ever bothers to look at the ID record associated with my frequent shopper card, they'd find that Jack Mehoff buys a lot of groceries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    That may work for Kroger, but I doubt it would work for access to a military base.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Most likely you will be fine. Put a fraud watch on your credit and you will be fine.

That's what I'm thinking; might affect my credit rating but there are a lot worse things that could happen.

That may work for Kroger, but I doubt it would work for access to a military base.

Accessing a military base post 9/11 using fraudulent personal information? Hmm, I'll pass.