Number of Centuries in a Season?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Question Number of Centuries in a Season?

I just got back from my 4th century of the season which, considering I could barely climb a freeway overpass last season, is a great accomplishment for me. This makes me wonder, what is the average number of centuries you do in a cycling season? I wonder if people who frequently do century rides have leanings of masochism - I think this is me.

If you live in a great climate and can ride all year long, then I'd be interested in the number per year. And by the way, I have no idea how people biking across the country do it, riding centuries every day for weeks on end...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I have no idea. There's not necessarily a correlation between miles and physical exertion or accomplishment goes so what ever the number is it wouldn't mean much as far as thinking I'm macho goes.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by mandr007 View Post
    I just got back from my 4th century of the season which, considering I could barely climb a freeway overpass last season, is a great accomplishment for me. This makes me wonder, what is the average number of centuries you do in a cycling season? I wonder if people who frequently do century rides have leanings of masochism - I think this is me.

If you live in a great climate and can ride all year long, then I'd be interested in the number per year. And by the way, I have no idea how people biking across the country do it, riding centuries every day for weeks on end...
    There are people on this forum that ride 2 every weekend and others who never do them. I'm kind of past the need to prove anything to myself so I rarely do them at all. Did three in China last year, that was sort of a big deal I guess. No plans for 2011 or beyond.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I try to do at least three. Missed the last two that were local because of prior commitments.

A masochist would seem to be a person who doesn't stop at the rest areas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    There are people on this forum that ride 2 every weekend and others who never do them. I'm kind of past the need to prove anything to myself so I rarely do them at all. Did three in China last year, that was sort of a big deal I guess. No plans for 2011 or beyond.
    Doing century rides in different countries would be a neat riding goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    I'm kind of past the need to prove anything to myself so I rarely do them at all.
    That's actually an interesting point. I've heard others say it's ridiculous to pay for the right to ride 100 miles. A 70-mile Gran Fondo is going on in Beverly Hills next Sunday. It costs $125 to enter.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    A century doesn't mean some organized affair with fixed rest stops and festivities, it just means riding 100 miles on your bike. Many charity rides include a century option, but you don't need to do a charity ride or spend money to ride a century.

I know two guys--one is a mod on another forum and the other I know IRL--who think it's silly to get on the bike for less than 100 miles. They both ride two or three times a week and their annual mileage totals are in the five figures. They're also both retired. Go figure.

Myself, I avoid charity rides like the plague. I can and do ride centuries, but I really don't enjoy the last 20-30 miles, so I stick mainly with rides up to 70 miles. About once a year, Mike calls and says, "C'mon, let's go for a ride" and I know I'm in for a century.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I had to check. So far this year I've had only three days where I've ridden more than 161 km. Next Saturday I'm doing 190 km. After that I'm backing down, and my max day distance will probably be 110 km, but more likely 50 on average.

Master debator.
    Zero centuries this year or the foreseeable future. They don't fit with my road and mountain bike racing schedule, I don't have any events lasting 4-5 hours this year.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Jack of no trades
    Just did my first this past Wednesday. I'm going to make a second attempt tomorrow.

Bringing more food this time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I enjoy centuries and do more than one a month. Sometimes on consecutive weekends. They don't seem like that big a deal. I know guys who do one every weekend but I'm not that far gone.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    In past years I've done three or four, but this year I'll be lucky if I manage one. Just not enough time anymore to fit them in. If I don't have at least a couple of 75+ mile rides under my belt, I won't attempt one. And I'm just not finding the time to get those in anymore.
    BikeHubStore.com
    www.bikehubstore.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Just for fun

I do one pretty much every week through the season. For me that works out to about 25 because we have a 7 month season and there is the occasional rain, cold, or travel day. Mostly by myself or with a couple of other people. I haven't paid to ride my bike more than a few times in the last decade or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    By no means am I trying to prove anything or inviting anyone else to brag. I am merely trying to gauge how many people on here consistently put themselves through the agony of a century, as opposed to a really long ride such as a 70 mile trip. As we all know, those last 30 miles is usually where the real pain sets in.

It's interesting that when I tell family/friends I rode 100 miles in a day, they LITERALLY think I am insane, but when I come to this little corner of the earth, I see that other posters are doing centuries consistently. I guess the gensis of the question has to do with me trying to determine if people who ride centuries ARE crazy. Maybe that answer is that I AM crazy, but for reasons other than riding 100 miles...

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I usually do 2 to 5 depending on how I feel & how much time I have. It also depends on terrain.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

5 or 6

I try to do 5 or 6 per season. Usually one or two solo centuries and a few organized events

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I did one in 2009, because when I hurt my knee a long time ago, I was afraid I might not be able to do rides that long anymore. Just did it with a rotating cast of friends.

Most of the time if I have that much time to ride bikes, though, I go mountain biking. Sooner or later, I may do an organized century to see if I can do it in six hours. If I have to stop and start a lot, or lose time at intersections or riding on MUPs, it's difficult for me to maintain particularly good averages.

Go Blue
    I wonder if people who frequently do century rides have leanings of masochism - I think this is me.

People have different riding styles and goals. I used to do 3 or 4 centuries per year and a lot of 60+ mile rides. My mileage has been down in the past two years, but I am hoping to get it up later this season (I currently am recovering from a crash). But, I ride at a fairly slow pace. I used to ride with a guy who would rip off everyone's legs and then be totally burned out after 30 miles. I think that his longest ride ever was about 40 miles. That guy suffers much more on his 30 mile rides than I do on a century.

MB1 and his wife do 100+ mile rides every week (and have been doing so for years). They hardly are masochists. In fact, they have lots of fun. Check out MB1's posts in the Lounge and Commuting.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    How many centuries in a season?

Well, let's see--there's four quarts in a gallon, 640 acres in a section, and my pinkie's three inches. So . . . maybe two?

My rear end always says stop around 70, and it seems like the final hour occasionally runs through Bataan, so I don't go so far so frequently as some.

Had my worst-ever bonk in a century some years back, and so I make sure to do one now and again just so I keep in control of the idea of whether it's a good idea. I try to keep that horrible memory repressed with something more recent that's less frightening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    13 last year
    none so far this year, mainly a time thing

I ride in circles..
    I didn't do any last year.. but a number of 60-80 mile rides.. This year I've done a few longer rides and Thursday I did my first solo century of the season. For me it's time and weather. My normal rides are between 30-50 miles and I have no problem hammering my brains out for 3 hours.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Hanging 10 bra
    Well after doing my 3rd of this season, the "newness" has worn off on doing them. It was great that I did that accomplishment, but if you know me, I do things to the extreme. Heck I decided to loose weight and have lost over 108lbs in the past year and half. So doing centurys for me is now just something that happens when I decide to pound the pavement for long time frame. I now try to spin some days and push it hardcore other days to better my time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I do a century nearly every weekend with 1500m or more of climbing in the mountains west of Tokyo. Factoring in the weather, over the course of the season I'll do one on average 4 out of 5 weekends. I find myself thinking of climbing and bombing big descents during the weekdays, and feel like I've lost an irretrievable opportunity if I don't get a serious mountain ride in during the weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    (4 season / yr) x (100 yrs / century) = 400 seasons / century ==> .0025 centuries / season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I usually do half dozen or more a year, but none are organized rides. All are solo or with some friends and self-supported. I do ride upwards of 85mi on most Sundays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast