The Once and For All, End All Be All, Chain Lube Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Sock Puppet

The Once and For All, End All Be All, Chain Lube Thread

We haven't had a good chain lube slug fest in awhile. Let's argue about all our favorite chain lubes here. Which ones are the most awesome and which ones suck?

I've been using my own home brew inspired by Wheelist Mike T. made from 50% synthetic oil and 50% mineral spirits for over 8,000 miles now.

Fire away!
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Unfortunately, there is no best, ideal lube. Wax lubes keep the chain clean, but have a short life. Oily lubes last longest and keep the chain quiet, but the chain gets dirty. I thought Smoove was a good compromise, as it lasted pretty long, but when I put my chain in an ultrasonic cleaner, a lot of black stuff came out and it looked dirty before I cleaned it.

Neophyte
    All this repeated talk about chain lube. Just use a combo of WD40 and Tri-Flow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is the kind of thread that SPIKE craves. Havenít heard from him in a while, almost starting to worry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am such a novice and a knucklehead when it comes to stuff like this. I often wait too long between cleanings and always use the same thing when I do put a fresh lube on. It's Finish Line Long Lasting Dry Bike Lube. Seems to work, but the chain does get dirty eventually.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    wash chain in Woolite, tumble dry on 'delicate'...

prepare home-made lube by mixing (by volume) 50% extra virgin olive oil / 50% melted unsalted butter.

baste chain liberally with lube, dust lightly with paprika, let sit overnite.

wipe down with microfiber towel, install chain, and you're now ready for 10-12 miles of trouble-free riding.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used a bunch of different lubes, settled on Chain-L. Last a ridiculously long time between lubes, quiet, doesn't get too dirty, and shows up well in the lube comparisons and I get around 8000 miles out of a chain typically (except my gravel bike which get's chainged annually).
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Could you get some sort of "Real McCoy" device that would take care of all of this for you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no best, ideal lube.
    Blasphemy.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    I'm about as easy going when it comes to lube as you can get. As long as it's not wax or White Lightning I really don't care. At the shop we use Tri Flow mostly, or WD40 Dry. Bontrager lube works well. I like SCC Slick, a buddy reps it. Chain L is great, and I like the smell of gear oil. Dumonde is great. As long as I can clean it off when I wash my bike (which means it easily breaks down w/ either Pedro's degreaser or MuckOff) I don't care. It doesn't matter if it lasts 150mi or 1500. It's just chain lube.

As long as it's not wax.
    #promechaniclife

Neophyte
    Huh. You know, my post about Tri-Flow and WD40 was meant to be a bad joke.

In reality I have used Finish Line Dry for years but don't really love it. But I don't think I'm very good at applying it.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    As long as it's not wax or White Lightning I really don't care.

As long as it's not wax.
    BINGO!

I am so over dry wax lubes. They claim to lubricate while at the same time magically "flake away" dirt. In reality, they gum up and are just as much dirt magnets as wet oil based lubes. Not to mention they simply don't lube as well. And have you ever tried to apply wax lube in temps below 40F? Good luck with that! Newsflash: Unless you ride in a sterile velodrome, your lube will attract dirt, period. Wiping your chain well after lubing helps, but you need to wipe well again after the first couple of rides after lubing as the lube works itself out of the rollers.

There are many good wet oil based lubes on the market, and some even claim to have Teflon or other "space age" chemicals in them that will take your chain to a new dimension. I have found a 50/50 solution of synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits works just as well and is a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

The important thing is to lube correctly. One drop on each roller. Then wipe chain thoroughly. Wipe again after the first couple of rides. Repeat every 500 miles unless you get caught in rain or very wet roads where you should wipe down and lube immediately after the ride.

I should note that my last chain had no measurable wear after 6000 miles.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    We haven't had a good chain lube slug fest in awhile. Let's argue about all our favorite chain lubes here. Which ones are the most awesome and which ones suck?

I've been using my own home brew inspired by Wheelist Mike T. made from 50% synthetic oil and 50% mineral spirits for over 8,000 miles now.

Fire away!
    After years of trying different lubes I have come to the conclusion that for the recreational rider it doesn't matter all that much. The only lube I would recommend against is White Lightning or similar wax based lubes. The last bunch of years I have been using homebrew with 1/3 oil, 2/3 ODS.

Proud luddite
    I've been using Dumonde Tech Lite lube for years and it works well. The best thing about it is the smell. It's heavenly. Some call it huffing but I prefer to think of it as fragrance appreciation.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    After years of trying different lubes I have come to the conclusion that for the recreational rider it doesn't matter all that much. The only lube I would recommend against is White Lightning or similar wax based lubes. The last bunch of years I have been using homebrew with 1/3 oil, 2/3 ODS.
    What is ODS?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

xxl
    What is ODS?
    "Organic Distillate Spirits?" I've only seen "VOC/VOS" (volatile organic compounds/spirits) on my containers of them, but who knows, perhaps there are more acronyms in the world than the ones I'm exposed to: https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ODS

Basically, volatile spirits (mineral or otherwise) that are there to thin out the oil and carry it into the deepest recesses of the chain, where the oil can stay as the spirits evaporate.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I've been using Dumonde Tech Lite lube for years and it works well. The best thing about it is the smell. It's heavenly. Some call it huffing but I prefer to think of it as fragrance appreciation.
    Not to judge your preferences, but the Dumonde people refer to their products (or maybe it's just their newest iteration) as "tamely scented."

NTTAWWT, it's just that your tasting notes suggested a more celestial aroma than "tame."

"PRO X Lite brings the aspect of polymerization and MRCC oils that by design migrate for complete wetting of the surfaces

Benefits:

MRCC technology creates an extremely low friction bond.
    A dry lubricant that does not attract dust and dirt.
    Watts. Very little is used to move your bike parts.
    10 time high lubricity the Teflon. Ceramic lubes? Catchy hype.
    Waterproof which will not wash off.
    Drive train stays clean, last longer, runs silent.
    Extremely durable, outlasts all other chain lubes in any condition.
    Tamely scented.
    Applied sparingly for the best results and increased value.
    Can be shipped around the world via air freight and ground."

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/pro-x-lite/
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    What is ODS?
    Its bad typing on my part. I meant Odorless Mineral Spirits (aka paint thinner). Initially I used synthetic oil as was the approved internet recipe. Since then, I have the opinion that regular oil made from dinosaurs works just the same

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Not to judge your preferences, but the Dumonde people refer to their products (or maybe it's just their newest iteration) as "tamely scented."

NTTAWWT, it's just that your tasting notes suggested a more celestial aroma than "tame."

"PRO X Lite brings the aspect of polymerization and MRCC oils that by design migrate for complete wetting of the surfaces

Benefits:

MRCC technology creates an extremely low friction bond.
    A dry lubricant that does not attract dust and dirt.
    Watts. Very little is used to move your bike parts.
    10 time high lubricity the Teflon. Ceramic lubes? Catchy hype.
    Waterproof which will not wash off.
    Drive train stays clean, last longer, runs silent.
    Extremely durable, outlasts all other chain lubes in any condition.
    Tamely scented.
    Applied sparingly for the best results and increased value.
    Can be shipped around the world via air freight and ground."

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/pro-x-lite/
    I am thinking of becoming a chain lube sommelier.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Its bad typing on my part. I meant Odorless Mineral Spirits (aka paint thinner).
    The two are not synonymous.
    OMS can be used as a paint thinner. But a paint thinner isn't necessarily OMS.
    Make sure to read the label. Something labeled 'Paint Thinner' could contain Acetone, Turpentine, Naphtha, Toluene, Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), Dimethylformamide (DMF). Some nasty stuff.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The two are not synonymous.
    OMS can be used as a paint thinner. But a paint thinner isn't necessarily OMS.
    Make sure to read the label. Something labeled 'Paint Thinner' could contain Acetone, Turpentine, Naphtha, Toluene, Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), Dimethylformamide (DMF). Some nasty stuff.
    And just because something is odorless doesn't mean it isn't harmful to breathe in. Carbon monoxide and methane gas are odorless.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    What chain lubes last 600 miles without re-appling and are fairly clean and easy to clean/degrease the chain?

I assume any wax lubes with the exception of Smoove are out and Chain-L is too dirty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The important thing is to lube correctly. One drop on each roller. Then wipe chain thoroughly. Wipe again after the first couple of rides. Repeat every 500 miles unless you get caught in rain or very wet roads where you should wipe down and lube immediately after the ride.
    If you use a more dilute lube formula (3 parts odorless mineral spirits to one part oil) and flood the chain with it while pedaling the bike in the work stand, you will simultaneously clean the chain by fluidizing all the gunk and grit. Wiping the chain well and letting the solvent evaporate (lube after the ride, not before it) leaves lube inside the chain and a clean outside.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If you use a more dilute lube formula (3 parts odorless mineral spirits to one part oil) and flood the chain with it while pedaling the bike in the work stand, you will simultaneously clean the chain by fluidizing all the gunk and grit. Wiping the chain well and letting the solvent evaporate (lube after the ride, not before it) leaves lube inside the chain and a clean outside.
    This is currently what I do with the 50/50 formula and it actually does a pretty good job at cleaning the chain. Though I think I'll try your formula or maybe a 2/1 formula next.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    There are studies that show homemade penetrating oil as good as the commercial equivalent can be made by diluting the lubricating oil with 10% acetone. I'm not sure how much OMS differs in this application, but diluting motor oil with 50% OMS seems you are diluting it too much. Beware that acetone dissolves some plastics so make sure the the bottle you use can handle it (HDPE 2 works). Acetone also evaporates quickly whereas OMS doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast