One endurance sports online forum decides itís time to change
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

One endurance sports online forum decides itís time to change

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    it's a good board for running talks. The caustic craps seem to be coming from the younger 20something granola boys living with mommy who has done sh8t in their lives but like to play keyboard warriors and bash. They chickensh8t face to face for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Look what happened to IMDB. They got rid of the boards for those reasons. You couldn't have a grown up & civilized discussion of ideas & talking points anymore. Pretty sad, that as a society we are more connected than ever but anything that is REAL gets drowned out by all the crap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Look what happened to IMDB. They got rid of the boards for those reasons. You couldn't have a grown up & civilized discussion of ideas & talking points anymore. Pretty sad, that as a society we are more connected than ever but anything that is REAL gets drowned out by all the crap.
    The cynic would say that 99% of everything is crap, and the web certainly is proof of that. Where else can we find proof of the flat earth, the faked moon landing, the grassy mound third shooter, all manner or science denial, plus proof of the many murders committed by the Clintons?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The cynic would say that 99% of everything is crap, and the web certainly is proof of that. Where else can we find proof of the flat earth, the faked moon landing, the grassy mound third shooter, all manner or science denial, plus proof of the many murders committed by the Clintons?
    I think you are just focusing on the negative. The web is also a place where you can learn of the substantial benefits of aftermarket jockey pulleys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I agree with most of what has been said here. I think the ability to hide behind a screen name and relative anonymity seems to bring out the worst in some people. I also just feel like we are more comfortable saying ugly things to each other these days. The past certainly isnít some utopia from my perspective, but itís kind of hard to deny that we have lost something along the way when it comes to social interaction.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The web is also a place where you can learn of the substantial benefits of aftermarket jockey pulleys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like how this forum runs.
    The moderator gives it an open book to let the sword fights take there course.
    If the comments offend / hurt your feelings so what. Maybe you learned something,
    maybe you didnít. But donít complain, and donít quit.

Frankly, I donít get the article linked.
    Its seeks to score points re human behavior, which translates to more power to those who judge others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I like how this forum runs.
    The moderator gives it an open book to let the sword fights take there course.
    If the comments offend / hurt your feelings so what. Maybe you learned something,
    maybe you didnít. But donít complain, and donít quit.

Frankly, I donít get the article linked.
    Its seeks to score points re human behavior, which translates to more power to those who judge others.
    That works really well for bullying hotheads and those that come on forums primarily to pick a fight and insult others, but what forums are realizing is that it doesnít really work for everyone else. All of us pretty much enjoy a spirited debate and an exchange of points of view. Itís part of the reason we are here. However, itís basically impossible to deny that there is this other darker nasty element that tends to creep into many online forums that many people have no interest in.

You mentioned here, but this place has a small fraction of the active members that it used to have and I personally know people who left RBR because they felt like ridiculous unacceptable behavior (even by RBR standards) was going unchecked too frequently. Thereís definitely an out of bounds for discussion boards like this (or any conversation) and I donít understand anyone who suggests there isnít.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like Virtue Signaling to me...

ď...the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of oneís righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not...Ē
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:45 PM. Reason: Quote

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds like Virtue Signaling to me...

the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of oneís righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not:
    If that makes you feel better about being way off base, please take that interpretation and run with it. I could care less. The article makes sense to me and appears to make sense to others too. In case you havenít noticed, you are kind of out there alone on that limb trying to claim there are no boundaries to be crossed. To be clear, everyone is ok with disagreements in online forums. What the article and some of us are talking about is behavior that reaches a point where itís clearly inappropriate. You enjoy that stuff, keep doing you man (until you get banned like those that have come before you)....

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...and now I get a whiff of defensive denial mixed with dash of hypocrisy for good measure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You are working the heck out of google and that online thesaurus tonight huh? Go ahead buddy, please enlighten us on the forum we have been on for a decade or more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    What happened? I thought you liked this stuff???? Thatís my real point. It doesnít feel very good does it? And thereís not usually much value to exchanges like the one we just had either. Guess what happens when forums stay full of conversations like that these days? They die, because only the knuckleheads stick around for that nonsense. I have watched countless people come on here honestly looking for advice and happy to engage other cyclists online only to be ripped apart for their first post. Guess where that leads? Yep, welcome to RBR. Thatís what the article is talking about.....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    You are working the heck out of google and that online thesaurus tonight huh? Go ahead buddy, please enlighten us on the forum we have been on for a decade or more.
    Now youíre bullying, touting Social Credit Score, Censorship, and threatening to ban ???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Now youíre bullying, touting Social Credit Score, Censorship, and threatening to ban ???
    One literally cannot make this stuff up lol. I thought you were the champion for the bullying cause btw.... Anywho, I guess you missed my last post. I was really just making a point to you about how bad this stuff is. I donít have da powa to ban my good man so relax. Only the moderators have that. Whatís hilarious though is how your posts now sound just like comments and concerns from the article. Thatís all I was trying to get us to, is for you to see why people have a problem with this kind of behavior. Itís not censorship, itís etiquette for the good of the community and to preserve its existence. Thatís why some forums are making changes. It seems like you probably have a better understanding of what the author was referring to now. You can exhale now and carry on....