One unlucky/lucky cyclist.

Oct 2002

One unlucky/lucky cyclist.

Forty feet in the air! Holy sh$t. Unlucky to get creamed but very lucky to be alive. I'm familiar with that road -- "highway speed" would be around 70 mph.

Truck slams into cyclist on highway
    By KRISTEN ENEVOLD, Calgary Sun

Emergency crews were amazed yesterday to find a highway cyclist alive after he was hit by a truck and launched into the air. "He's definitely lucky," said Grant Brilz, Cochrane's emergency services manager.

Around 12:30 p.m., the cyclist, believed to be a man in his 30s, was riding eastbound in the shoulder of the Trans-Canada Hwy., near Calaway Park when he was hit from behind.

"He was hit at highway speed and thrown about 40 feet into the air," Brilz said.

The cyclist suffered non life-threatening injuries including trauma to his head, lacerations and bruises all over his body. He was taken to the Foothills hospital, where he continues to recover.

Charges are pending against a Morley woman who was driving the truck. She was uninjured.

RoadBikeReview Member

first of all : I hope you recovery is fast.

Are you going to file Chrages ????Of course she was at fault, is it up to you to file the charges, or is it up to the city/county?

cjwill Orange County, CA.

Aug 2003

I am also Unlucky/Lucky with a similar accident.

I was commuting by bike to work. A person tried to pass traffic on the right and hit me about about 50. I wasn't thrown high but I was thrown a lot more then 40 feet forward about a bounce off the front windshield. 'Luckliy' I walked away with only bad road rash and a hole in my knee (still can't figure out how that part happened), and a bike that is about a 1/3 as long as it used to be.

Arrogant roadie.....
    One might ask: Wasn't there a better road to ride on than the Trans-Canada?? Do you often ride on extremely busy highways? If so, get used to being hit because it's going to happen to you again.

IMHO, you've got to be nuts to ride on a 70mph road.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Burning Fists of Love

Luck?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    One might ask: Wasn't there a better road to ride on than the Trans-Canada?? Do you often ride on extremely busy highways? If so, get used to being hit because it's going to happen to you again.

IMHO, you've got to be nuts to ride on a 70mph road.

That is not luck. To be alive after what you just described is a fvcking MIRACLE.

I agree with Dave however. Its tempting fate to be on a 70 mph highway and expect nothig to happen. Sure, fokks will speed on remote raods as well.However, to hit a major highway and then act stunned to get pegged is not very realistic. IMO
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Oct 2002
    Just to clarify, I wasn't the one hit. Just reporting what happened. No way I'd ride there.

For those of you not familiar with the area, the section of the highway where it happened is a limited access freeway with a 70mph speed limit (i.e. like US interstates). Incredibly the shoulder is (or was when I lived near there until '99) marked as a bike lane. Some years ago - late eighties or early nineties - an entire group of riders got wiped out (nine killed if I remember correctly) by a driver that swerved into the shoulder.
    Last edited by gf99; 11-02-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Oct 2004
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I ride on the Trans-Canada hwy. all the time. I ride on the very right side of the shoulder closest to the edge, and the shoulder is almost as wide as a reguler driving lane. There's a rumble strip between the driving lanes and the shoulder, which should get the attention of someone veering off to the side as they're talking on their cellphone or something. It can, however, be a little nerve-racking when semis pass me at 110kph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2003
    I thought Canada was on the metric system of units ?? [nm]

no message