Opinion: See Amstel Gold & Fleche or L-B-L?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Opinion: See Amstel Gold & Fleche or L-B-L?

Hey everyone,

I'll be in Europe for a couple weeks in April and will have a few days to watch either Amstel Gold and Fleche Wallonne or just Liege Bastogne Liege. I'm torn, I like the idea of seeing a classic, albeit a new one, and a smaller race like like La Fleche but its hard to resist going to watch LBL. WWYD?

Nothing else really comes into play, I'm not interested in picking one because there are beautiful Tulip fields nearby. This is strictly to maximize watching cycling.

Prost!
    Zero

Not Banned

I'd rather see 2 races than 1

and you could ride the days between.besides, simple decision based on 3 words
    Muur de Huy
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

chamois creme addict

Park on the climbs

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    and you could ride the days between.besides, simple decision based on 3 words
    Muur de Huy
    Also in favor of the Amstel/Fleche combo - both of these races ascend the finish hill multiple times. Fleche Wallonne goes up Mur de Huy 3x, and the Amstel goes up the Cauberg 3x as well. All you have to do is get there early!!

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni sartori
    Hey everyone,

I'll be in Europe for a couple weeks in April and will have a few days to watch either Amstel Gold and Fleche Wallonne or just Liege Bastogne Liege. I'm torn, I like the idea of seeing a classic, albeit a new one, and a smaller race like like La Fleche but its hard to resist going to watch LBL. WWYD?

Nothing else really comes into play, I'm not interested in picking one because there are beautiful Tulip fields nearby. This is strictly to maximize watching cycling.

Prost!

There are several ways to watch a bike race (besides in a bar with other fans): hang out around the team vehicles before and catch the sign-ins, call-ups, and start; watch it up the road somewhere; try to catch the finish (or as close as you can without a VIP pass). Chances are you cannot do all at one race. Pick your poison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd vote for AG/FW and get to see two great races. That being said if you do L-B-L check out this place (link below). I met owners Neil and his wife Leigh in Austin while they were on vacation. They are more into moto stuff but are also cyclists and run a B&B in the Ardennes. L-B-L passes through their village.

http://aeaventures.com/index.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    I'd vote for AG/FW and get to see two great races. That being said if you do L-B-L check out this place (link below). I met owners Neil and his wife Leigh in Austin while they were on vacation. They are more into moto stuff but are also cyclists and run a B&B in the Ardennes. L-B-L passes through their village.

http://aeaventures.com/index.html
    Thanks. I am leaning more toward the Amster/Fleche combo. Haven't sorted out the details but I'll check the link as nothing is too far away in Belgium.

Teo, I was in Austin for Business a few weeks back and managed to see Bob Roll and Gary Fisher at Biccyle Sport Shop. Were you there?
    Zero

Jun 2004

I''m going to go the other way..

Thanks. I am leaning more toward the Amster/Fleche combo. Haven't sorted out the details but I'll check the link as nothing is too far away in Belgium.

Teo, I was in Austin for Business a few weeks back and managed to see Bob Roll and Gary Fisher at Biccyle Sport Shop. Were you there?
    I'm going to go the other way on this one than the other folks. The other 2 races are great, but LBL is a Monument of Classics, and one not to miss in my opinion, as it is a better race than the other 2 (again in my opinion).

RoadBikeReview Member

Teo, I was in Austin for Business a few weeks back and managed to see Bob Roll and Gary Fisher at Bicycle Sport Shop. Were you there?

Wasn't there--went for an mtb night ride instead. I worked at that shop for years though. Bob is quite the personality indeed. As for the link they're good people and they told me they have plenty of great rides in the area. Cost is low--something like 37 euros a night and it never hurts having hosts that are cycling friendly. They are British so no language barrier either. I need to get in touch with them myself as I want to host a LBL/spring classics trip with them sometime.

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Hey everyone,

Prost!

That's a tough one but I think I'd go with the Old Lady. L-B-L has been run for over 110 years. How can you miss that? Plus, to be honest the uphill finish is tough one to beat for drama if the decent group comes in together.

I'd go to L-B-L and watch the others on TV if that's your only option. You can't go wrong tho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintesi
    That's a tough one but I think I'd go with the Old Lady. L-B-L has been run for over 110 years. How can you miss that? Plus, to be honest the uphill finish is tough one to beat for drama if the decent group comes in together.

I'd go to L-B-L and watch the others on TV if that's your only option. You can't go wrong tho.
    Its good to have these kinds of choices in life, it might come down to tickets and accommodation. I'm leaning toward the Amstel and Fleche though, as the smaller Fleche is appealing in that it may be more relaxed. Thanks for the opinions.
    Zero