Other Elitist Cycling Terms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Other Elitist Cycling Terms

In light of the other thread regarding the origins of "Fred", I thought it would be interesting to discuss other elitist cycling terms, what they mean, their origins, whether you have heard of the terms listed herein or not and/or any other thoughts you might have. I'll start with the following:

Gomer - a doofus or goofball for any number of reasons

Squirrel - someone with poor pack riding skills and/or a rider that is unsafe to ride near due to erratic movement, etc.

Digger - bike crash

Techno-Weenie - similar to poseur. A person that buys all the latest and greatest stuff, high-end bikes and equipment and such

On your left/On your right - code word for a Cat 4 racer that doesn't realize it is not necessary to inform others to hold their line

Banned forever.....or not
    All show and no go -- A not so good rider with a state of the art bike and gear.

Beaten like a rented mule -- see off the back.

bowling for dollars -- A rider crashes and takes down most or all of the Peloton.

brick -- Bad climber, good descender. Opposite of: kite.

driver -- Someone always on the front upping the tempo eg He’s a hell driver.

Freida -- Female Fred.

granny gear -- a very low gear, say 39 x 28. (So low your grandmother could turn it).

gut spray, gopher juice -- What gets splattered over your legs when a truck runs over fresh road pizza.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    dive bomber - jackass that goes into the corner on the outside and over sweeps to the inside frequently swiping out front wheels of adjacent riders.

wheel sucker, guy who never pulls in a break aka, the guy you just put into the ditch

one lap wonder. guy who does the group ride, beats up on people the first lap or section of the ride only to cut it short and head home. extra credit if he talks some smack while he does it.

bike path champ, aka: bike path lance and plenty of similar...
    guy who rides fast as hell but does it on multi use paths, often cursing at kids on trikes and old ladies with their dog. aka: triathlete

echlon, drafting at a side of the rider in front due to sidewinds. (hopefully adjusting their pace line rotation in respect)

triathlete: guys who don't know how to turn, or ride in a paceline, wear sleeveless jerseys, with no socks, 160 psi in the tires, gu on the top tube, and ride 25mph on the 15mph multi use path

One other.

Tuesday Night Hero.................Guy who never races, but loves to drive the pace on Tuesday, when your legs are still feeling like rubber from a weekend of racing.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Anti-Hero
    I HATE that guy!

I usually just avoid the Tuesday night world championship rides all together.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I HATE that guy!

When I was racing all the time in the 90's, we usually raced on Saturday and Sunday (road,crit) so we went hard on Tuesday and Thursday with spins on M-W-F if we even rode on Monday. There was a guy who never raced that would show up on the spin nights and do fliers off the front for the entire ride and talk smack about how no one could catch him.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I HATE that guy!

I call those guys "Gym Class Allstars"

Its term we had in high school for those kids who didn't play any real sports, but they acted like the biggest jocks in gym class. You know the kid who slams the hot chick in the face with the dodgeball and then celebrates with a fist pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    all the gear - no idea

'no idea' does not mean slow, it means poor social skills

you all know the type...

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Campagnolo - Wait... did I just say that? nvm.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by funktekk
    I call those guys "Gym Class Allstars"

Its term we had in high school for those kids who didn't play any real sports, but they acted like the biggest jocks in gym class. You know the kid who slams the hot chick in the face with the dodgeball and then celebrates with a fist pump.
    Is that like the guy that attacks on the group ride every time I take a pull?

Just one of the reasons why I stopped going to that Tuesday night ride and started going to a relatively non-competitive one since my legs are usually still kinda trashed from racing over the weekend
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Half-wheeler -- Someone who always seems to keep their front wheel slightly ahead of the person beside them, pushing the pace.

One-speed -- Guy who always seems to ride the same speed or pace no matter the road conditions, slope, purpose of the ride, or mood of the group. Particularly troublesome on recovery rides.

Broom or sweep -- Someone who hangs with the slowest riders at the back of the pack on group rides to make sure they finish OK, also helping those with mechanical problems and flats.

"Is that like the guy that attacks on the group ride every time I take a pull?"

I've got the same guy on my Tuesday ride. I'll be pulling at 25, and he jumps it to 30, just when I'm not ready for it. He's one of those damn juniors that recovers in 12 hours from the weekend racing.
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pathlete - the guy that roams the bike path on my commute looking for a race, usually comes hammering up from behind only to jump away on the next "hill" with lots of glances back so he knows that you know that he knows he dropped you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Tuesday Night Hero.................Guy who never races, but loves to drive the pace on Tuesday, when your legs are still feeling like rubber from a weekend of racing.
    Hey I gave you almost 48 hours to recover!

When you're old, sometimes it takes longer than 48 hours.
    Dogbert.

I>U

duh...
    I know it's your favorite word, but not all these terms are nec elitist, just good/funny/sometimes accurate descriptors. now if you want an elitist term, how about "disease ride" or "disease bike"... btw, I dig "pathlete"

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Try these...

carpet sprint - What happens when you ride off the rollers.

gutterball - Strung out in the gutter in a crosswind.

human crayons - Cat. 5 racers.

PowerBarf - Maybe that Berry bar wasn’t such a good idea after all.

caveman - animal

laughing boys - jolly roadies off the back

pack fodder - you know what this one means
    Go big, or take up bowling...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ahahaha what an awesome thread

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRacer55
    carpet sprint - What happens when you ride off the rollers.
    BAHAHAHA!!! Does that actually happen?! I've never used one of those things but that sounds like it'd be awesome... especially considering that if I was using one of those in this house, I'd probably have a wall or big piece of furniture about a foot in front of me... good times.
    Whoever is running her foot up my leg, I love you.

New Tour de Cure support link thing!! HERE!

Road lice...........(willing to take a "fake pull" every 5 minutes)
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    dig the 'carpet sprint'

In my old apartment i was on the rollers and watching the simpsons. They panned across the screen and i followed it. Pow, off the rollers onto the floor. Rear wheel caught the hardwood floors and whipped around creating quite a mess.

once on my regular trainer it slowly migrated backward. when i was done i noticed the rear tire had burnt a slice into my couch cousin

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Hey, it definitely happens...

Quote Originally Posted by MWPDX
    BAHAHAHA!!! Does that actually happen?! I've never used one of those things but that sounds like it'd be awesome... especially considering that if I was using one of those in this house, I'd probably have a wall or big piece of furniture about a foot in front of me... good times.
    ...see what Fleck says, above. Now you know why I:

- Have the ultimate respect for anybody who rides rollers, anywhere, but especially indoors, and

- ride a trainer exclusively...that is, when I'm not on good old blacktop...
    Go big, or take up bowling...

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck
    . . . my couch cousin
    Sounds way more sketchy than a kissing cousin. . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    The "On your left" thing reminds me of the movie Spanglish and she is running up the hill yelling "LEFT!" every 2 seconds. She says it about 5 times before she even gets to this one group. :rofl

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Am I doing something wrong? Being safe I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tschai
    In light of the other thread regarding the origins of "Fred", I thought it would be interesting to discuss other elitist cycling terms, what they mean, their origins, whether you have heard of the terms listed herein or not and/or any other thoughts you might have. I'll start with the following:

On your left/On your right - code word for a Cat 4 racer that doesn't realize it is not necessary to inform others to hold their line
    Tschai,

I am a newbie and just want to ensure I am not doing something wrong. I always say "On your left / On your right" when riding local paved parks and such because when I am passing a person running, walking, or biking you can't tell if they might stop, go left or right suddenly (wearing headphone they can't hear a bike) or they maybe coming up on someone around the corner so they move left or right ... does saying "On your left / right not make it safer? I can't imagine hitting a person running and think it would probably hurt someone pretty bad.
    Semper Fi :)
    Jar-Head Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast