Oversized handlebars
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Oversized handlebars

Are oversized handlebars (wider diameter at the stem-clamp area) significantly stiffer than regular sized handlebars? I've got to get a new pair anyway and was considering getting this style. And what are good clip-on aerobars?

thanks

Mar 2004
    I find the o/s to be stiffer than my old standard setup, but I'm sure there will be those who will disagree. I guess it could also be due to the particular stem and bars one uses. A friend of mine purchased an oversized Stella Azzurra Vice Versa stem and returned it 2 days later complaining that it wasn't stiff at all. I have Bontrager on one bike and FSA on the other (both oversized) and they are both equally stiff IMO. I can't find any reason to go back to standard.

As far as clip on's, do you mean for o/s or standard? The only one I know for o/s are the Deda clip on's and I don't think they're all that great. My old Syntaces were much better. Others should be able to help with the aero bars though, I'm not much into TT's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Metal
    Are oversized handlebars (wider diameter at the stem-clamp area) significantly stiffer than regular sized handlebars? I've got to get a new pair anyway and was considering getting this style. And what are good clip-on aerobars?

thanks
    Hey there,

I've just gotten oversize handlebars too on my new bike, and I'm going to give them a shot to see what happens.

For aerobars, I've had Syntace C-2 aerobars, and they've been great, but they won't fit on the oversize bars I now have. I do know there's a shim, but I got a good deal on the Deda Clip One aerobars that are around the same weight as the C-2 bars, and I'll see how they work for me in the next time trial I do.

- Marlon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I put on a pair of Ritchey WCS OS. I like. I LIKE!!!! Plus I went from 42 to 44. I LIKE A LOT!!!

The front end feels so much more solid.

The only sucky thing is that all the stem manufacturers only produce OS at 80/100 deg angle. This sucks the big one, since I need around a 73 to get low enough.

I think you will like the change too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

thanks
    I can't comment on O/S vs regular bars b/c my bike came with O/S. Attaching lights/computers/aero bars to oversized bars can be tricky though.

I recently bought some ProfileDesign Split Second aero bars, and I like them. They have the flip up arm rests, but the bars are separate so they can be rotated to your fit. The only problem I had was the clamp on the O/S bar. I had to switch the left and right clamps in order to get better clamping surface on the bars. This has worked very well for me.

May 2002
    It will depend on the model and manufacturer. For instance, I have an ITM Millennium Carbon SuperOver stem + handlebar combo that's so stiff you don't want to be riding it on rough roads for extensive periods. Prior to it I used a 3T ZeppXL oversized combo which feels like a noodle.

Feb 2004
    I concour. I'm riding on Ritchey WCS bars and stem- and I like too, I LIKE TOO!! Very nice and stiff and with good tape negligable vibration. I was on a set of Profile Design Carbon Stryke bars and they were ok-nothing special. The clip-on aero bars just don't fit me as well as the one piece integrated TT bars...
    "I don't know, trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

thanks
    The answer to your question is, sometimes a little bit, never a lot. The better question is "does it matter", the answer to which is "No."

With very few exceptions, stiffness is not an important performance parameter for ANY bicycle component. I realize that the "stiff = efficient" meme has been around for so long that I'm beating my head against the wall by bringing this up, but just because everybody says something doesn't make it true. Those flexible Vitus frames didn't slow Sean Kelly down much, did they?

Any handlebar, or anything else on the bicycle, for that matter, that is strong enough to withstand the load and not fail, will be stiff enough.You can't bend aluminum back and forth very far for very long before it breaks, so all those "noodly" standard-diameter bars out there couldn't have been bending very much, or more of them would have broken by now.

--Shannnon, swimming against the current in
    San Diego, CA

May 2002
    Again, that will depend on what loads you're referring to. Tests have shown that the great majority of bars aren't up to the job of "racing load". If you're interested in a good set of aluminum bars look at what the pros use. In this case it really does apply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

stiff, ugly, unecessary...

Oversize bars have to be stiffer due to the larger diameter, but I find them to be UGLY. Looked at some Litespeeds at a LBS and noticed how bulky the bikes looked with oversize bars and an oversize seat post. Too much oversize for me.

I also see no advantage. An expereinced rider should not be placing large forces on the bars in the first place.
    Last edited by C-40; 03-18-2004 at 09:34 AM.

May 2002
    Increased stiffness noticeably changes the feel of the front end however. Sometimes for the better sometimes not.

Mar 2004

Specialized sells a stem that might work for you

[QUOTE=

The only sucky thing is that all the stem manufacturers only produce OS at 80/100 deg angle. This sucks the big one, since I need around a 73 to get low enough.

[/QUOTE]
    They sell a stem that has (8, 16, -8, and -16) or (98, 106, 82, and 74), pretty darn close. It's on there website. I've been using mine for aruond a year now and havn't had problems with it (It came with the bike). It might be a little heaver then you are looking for, but other then that, it's good.

Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thanks

I found that Bontrager makes a 73