Pacific Coast Highway Ride Report

Oct 2002

Pacific Coast Highway Ride Report

Yesterday Alex, Fernando and I rode from my house to PCH and up PCH to Pepperdine.
    It was very windy but a nice ride.

I need to change a tire before we leave.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Oct 2002

My mansion

Believe it or not, a duplex around the corner and just like mine just sold for almost $950k about a month ago. It's insane but thats Los Angeles. I can't afford my own neighborhood.
    Last edited by lc21998; 11-22-2004 at 09:32 PM.
    Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Oct 2002

Venice Blvd

We head through Beverlywood and turn west on Venice. Venice is one of the few streets around here with a bike lane.

Oct 2002

Head north on Pacific

When we get to Venice proper, we head north on Pacific. We could ride on the beach trail but it's often too sandy.

Oct 2002

Heading into Santa Monica

Expensive beachfront condos on the left.

Oct 2002

Behold the beach

Oct 2002

Santa Monica Pier

on the left

Oct 2002

Heading out of Santa Monica and into the Palisades

There's good riding in them thar hills. (More pics to come. I've got to get some kids moving here at home)

Oct 2002

We stop for an arret pipi

(Now that I'm back from a day interviewing witnesses in Santa Maria, I can continue the report.)

That's Fernando.

Oct 2002

The beach

Oct 2002

LA style mobile home park

It's on the bluff right over the beach. Pretty nice.

Oct 2002

Looking back on PCH as we head into Malibu

Oct 2002

Here's the exciting part

You see this cable? It's hanging down from a bunch of wires that cross the street. It's the closest I came to serious injury in a long time.

Alex was leading. He points out some hazard to his right. I look to his right and see nothing. Fernando's right in front of me. He shouts "Watch the cable!" as he passes it. I see it right in front of me.

When I approached it, it was hanging in the shape of an "L." I figured I'd pass to the right of the hanging portion because that's away from the traffic to my left and I'd just ride over the portion that's lying on the ground. At the last minute I think "What if it's live?" So I swerve from right to left to avoid running over it. As I start swerving left, I hear a car right on my left shoulder. So it's hit the cable or hit the car. I hit the cable head on.

As soon as it hit me, I figured it would foul in my wheels and I'd end up under the car -- worst of both worlds. Fortunately, it just slid right over me, hitting my helmet, sliding over glasses, scratching my cheek and ear, etc. The insulator gave me a good knock on the helmet too. In the end, I stayed upright and suffered no real damage. And I discovered (the hard/stupid way) that it wasn't live. Of course I realized later that if it had that insulator, it wasn't live.

After I could breath again, I went back and dragged it as far out of traffic as I could.

Here's a question for all you engineering types. What would have happened if it were live? I'm riding a softride (aluminum frame, carbon fork/steerer, carbon beam, cork tape). Would that all that plus the rubber tires insulate me from the current?

Anyway, here's the source of my excitement
    Last edited by lc21998; 11-22-2004 at 08:27 PM.

Oct 2002

Pepperdine

Our ride today ends at Pepperdine University. Nice spot to go to school.

Oct 2002

Coffee stop

We stop for coffee in Malibu. We once saw Pamela Anderson at this coffee shop. I think that's why Alex (in yellow) wanted to stop here again. I'm in the blue.

Oct 2002

Malibu pier

Oct 2002

Santa Monica Pier again

Oct 2002

Evidence of the wind

It was one the windiest days I can remember. Heading east from the beach, we were headed right into the wind. The picture of the flag doesn't do it justice. It was brutal.

Oct 2002

Most important of all.

Each week, I wish I could spend more time on the ride. Then I come home and remember why I can't. Here are some of my fans. Noah is 2 and wants to be a firefighter. Naomi is 6 and wants to be a checkout worker at Trader Joe's. Sounds good to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the pictures and ride report. I loved riding on the PCH to Malibu and the Santa Monica Mtns. Although, from Santa Monica to Pepperdine, the PCH is very dangerous- cars going in excess of 60 MPH, very little shoulder room, and road hazards (orange cones and potholes). Do you ever go on the Sunday morning ride that departs from Manhattan Beach?

Man... do I miss riding year around in Los Angeles.

Oct 2002

I haven't done the Manhattan ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
    Thanks for the pictures and ride report. I loved riding on the PCH to Malibu and the Santa Monica Mtns. Although, from Santa Monica to Pepperdine, the PCH is very dangerous- cars going in excess of 60 MPH, very little shoulder room, and road hazards (orange cones and potholes). Do you ever go on the Sunday morning ride that departs from Manhattan Beach?

Man... do I miss riding year around in Los Angeles.
    Our time is so precious, I like to start from my doorstep if possible. PCH is really not that bad. There's one section just north of Santa Monica with a very narrow shoulder. Otherwise, the shoulder is pretty wide and I've never had any problems. My biggest danger is from the distracting view.

B.