To paint or not to paint Ti....that is the question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Everything's Bigger in TX

To paint or not to paint Ti....that is the question...

So it looks like I'm going Custom Ti and with Independent Fab for my bike purchase....

I thought it was tough narrowing down to a vendor....now comes the even harder part...color selection.

The Brushed Ti looks sweet and would be here quicker, but I would like to be "seen" on the road and not blend in.

Do you folks paint your frames?

Independent Fab has some nice paint colors.
    lots of choices

I totally dig the Pink Be sweet with some Pink Ribbons for Breast Cancer on the Fork (my mom and Aunt are both survivors) "Find a Cure" for my personlalization on the Top Tube

Could easily do the Orange and blend in with every Longhorn fan in Austin, but that's too cliche.....

I like White and could have fun with the Ruby Red Pearl too and love the Intense Blue (but might be too close to my Mtn Bike, do you all mix up colors?)

Also like the Premium Pearls (#25 & 26) (not sure how much "extra" that is)

Augh....the agony of decisioning....

RoadBikeReview Member
    neither the Mary Kay pink nor UT orange would work for me...personally partial to dark metallic blue or green.

leaving the stays unpainted like the 3rd photo is my suggestion. reveals the titanium a bit, eliminates chips from chain slap.

my Ti Paramount looks pretty sweet that way.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    +1 on leaving the chain/seat stays unpainted if you absolutely have to paint it.

chamois creme addict
    I say no paint. That is the beauty of titanium. Plus you will not have the inevitable sadness of that first paint chip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    If you like the pink, why not get a brushed ti, and have them do some pink decals, and put on a pink saddle and bar tape? paint doesn't stick to ti as well as steel, plus you can buff the ti from time to time to bring back it's luster. Scratches and chips in paint are forever. You could even get some zipps with pink decals, I think they offer custom colors for their wheel decals. As far as being seen, a neon yellow jersey or jacket will be 100 times more visible than any color on a bike.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Paint the front triangle and leave the stays Ti.
    “You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Albert Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H
    I say no paint. That is the beauty of titanium. Plus you will not have the inevitable sadness of that first paint chip.
    Seriously! I've had several Ti bikes, none of them painted. One of the many reason I love Ti frames are that they don't chip, scratch or get dinged from minor incidents (like falling down which happens to the best of us).

Anyone who is a real cyclist will see the "IF" on your bike and be suitably impressed!

If you have to get it painted, I'd go white with a little burnt orange trim since I always liked our white uniforms better.

Hook 'Em!

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by smcnees
    +1 on leaving the chain/seat stays unpainted if you absolutely have to paint it.
    Plus 2: Just make sure you have black wheels with graphics. T'wood look hot!

Cpark
    Definitely paint.....get creative.
    Here is my painted Ti rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I was all set to log into this thread and start ranting about how stupid this idea was....until I saw IF mentioned.

They do amazing paint work. Simply great. More classy than loud (although that pink is an exception) I live near IF so probably see a lot more of their bikes than the average Joe and, really, their paint jobs are just great.

Still, hard to swallow painting Ti......but if you're going to do it you couldn't have a better place doing it. Personally I would have them paint it. It'll stand out, in a good way, unlike unpainted Ti which is really really nice but somewhat commonplace.

Thumbs up

Definitely like the idea of the chainstays Ti.

Good points on the paint chipping too....hate when that happens. But I would think it wouldn't happen as much on a road bike as it does on my mtn bike.

I'm 6'6" so it's not like I won't be seen anyway, but you never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's so much fun to hit my frame with some metal polish once a year and it's brand new again.

la dolce vita
    Standing out on the road is more function of what you're wearing, not what you're riding. Watch a cyclist coming at you and see what you notice first.
    insert witty comment here

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Do what you like. If you want color, no need to be slave to the naked ti purists.

I've had both, but my Seven has a metallic blue-green fade that I picked custom and just adore. I've never regretted painting it and in seven years still no chips. I've not crashed it and tried to be careful in transport but I'm not anal about it.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

TWD
    I'm in the no paint camp. Just love the fact that you can beat the snot out of it, and all it ever takes to look like new is a new set of decals.

To me, full paint on Ti is a waste, but partially painted looks really nice if done well.

Here are a couple that I like, both 953 stainless rather than Ti, but you get the picture.

http://www.engincycles.com/bicycles/off-road-bicycles (look at photos 8,9,10 in this series)

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77785
    All in all, at the end of the day, it is what it is....just sayin'

duh...
    be a real man- do the pink

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

banned
    Both my Ti's are unpainted but that doesn't mean I'd do that again. I wouldn't mind my Seven to have a half and half. I'd have the head tube, top tube seatstays down to the brakes and the downtube down to the waterbottle painted. Then the bottom half would be satin where all the wear, oil and scrubbing would occur.

As it is, both the Seven and the Lemond are bare satin and decal free. The Seven does have the head badge with black tape behind for contrast.
    Last edited by TWB8s; 01-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IF has the coolest paint. I have a metallic blue crown jewel with blue panels and a green mountain bike with pink headset and hubs (for my Mom and Aunts who are cancer survivors.) I love the paint and the Ti.

hello
    No paint. In fact, no decals as well. I like the totally naked look. My Litespeeds are void of all decals except for their head badges.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

eminence grease
    Well, you clearly decided to come in at the top of your stated budget.

I like the pink and would have no hesitation doing a frame in that color. Leaving the seat and chain stays bare is a really nice touch. I took another route with my Moots though, I wanted to make the cancer statement so I did this -
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Formosan Cyclocross
    You could always go halfway and do a "fade". Business in the front titanium in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Subtle is very hot. Sweet lookin bike!!

I like the partial a lot.

I'm going King so I could get the Pink Headset as well.
    King for bling on the hubs, but they put the hurt on the wallet.
    Hope and Hadley have the pink hubs I think.

Could throw the Pink Headbadge Sticker on the Blue (#7) I like.

Oh the agony....

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Paint it. Choose any color besides gray.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Captain Obvious
    i like the unpainted look. that's what i'd like to do if i ever get a ti bike.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I have a titanium Baum custom

see www.baumcycles.com for examples of great colour schemes (and links to flickr.com there too for hundreds of photos)

I prefer painted Ti look but only 3/4 painted so that chainstays and most of seatstays are unpainted Ti and the rest is in your favourite colour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast