Parlee Altum or '17 Infinito CV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019

Parlee Altum or '17 Infinito CV

I'm in the market for a new road bike or at least a new frameset and wheelset. Currently ride a 12-13 year old Masi Vincere aluminum frame with 10-sp Campy Centaur and Fulcrum 5 wheels. It never really fir me well, rides harsh and is uncomfortable on rides >40 miles. I'm looking at the following options:

1) A new-old-stock Bianchi Infinito CV Rim Brake Frameset ($2600) and a set of Campy Shamal Ultra clinchers ($986) and swapping over my Centaur parts.The eventual plan here would be to upgrade to Chorus 11-speed in the future

2) LBS Parlee Ultum Disc w/ Ultegra, DT Swiss (not sure model) wheels for $4800.

The Parlee was about 1.5lbs lighter than the Bianchi Oltre they had on the floor. I saw it weighed. And it definitely feels lighter, too.

The LBS guy is trying hard to steer me away from Campy and toward Shimano, probably due to industry direction and profits. He's also saying there won't be much in the way of rim brake bikes in about a year. I don't have a use for disc brakes as they aren't really better in dry conditions and areas where there aren't long descents. Discs require more maintenance, are heavier than rim brakes and can be noisy until adjusted. I LOVE my Campy stuff and there's nothing wrong with it other than sowing a little cosmetic wear from years of use. It's been bombproof for 10 years. That said, I know the Shimano stuff is far better than it was in the past.

Anyone have any input on either of these setups? Is Shimano, specifically Ultegra, really that much "better" than Campy? I told by the shop that has the Infinito that I want it and I plan to order the frames wet and Shamal's on Monday. It's what I really think I want, and have listed after for a few years now. Matte Black and Celeste is a sweet-looking bike, too.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    RBR has lots of different sections devoted to specific subject matter. Oddly enough there's one for questions like this:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I'll always start off saying get the bike that fits you better. Assuming they both do equally , I'll say the bianchi. I never warmed to the style of the Altum. I thought the old z-5 had a much cleaner look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Parlee. All day & all night. You won't regret it.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Parlee. All day & all night. You won't regret it.
    Care to elaborate a bit?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    RBR has lots of different sections devoted to specific subject matter. Oddly enough there's one for questions like this:

Thank you, newbie oversight. Posted there, too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I picked up an Altum last year. Mines rim brake, Shimano mechanical and with Zipp 202 carbon clinchers. Itís a great ride, highly recommend it. Smooth, light, stable at low and high speeds. Does everything I want it do.......great for climbing, fast weeknight shop rides, and long weekend rides.

If there was one item I would criticize, its the top tube.........Iím more of a traditional level top tube type, and the Altum has a very slanted top tube. Aesthetics aside, itís a great bike. You wonít be disappointed.

Rub it............
    FYI, those who say disc brakes are more maintenance than rim brakes, have probably never owned a disc brake bike. Maintenance differences is negligible between rim and disc.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

But he asked about wheelsets and components too, so unless he should also post in "Wheels & Tires" and "Components and Wrenching", I would thing General would be the correct place, no?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Two other comments...........

Shimano works. Always has for any of the bikes I have. Iím not comparing it to Campy, just that Iíve had nothing but good luck with Shimano.

Donít buy the rim brake will be obsolete in one year speech........rim brakes work and will be around for a while. Discs work too...........even better in the rain. But for the 5 times I get caught in rainstorms a year itís not an issue for me. Donít want the weight, cost or complexity of discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    But he asked about wheelsets and components too, so unless he should also post in "Wheels & Tires" and "Components and Wrenching", I would thing General would be the correct place, no?
    this is where good moderators come in and simply move the tread if appropriate and we move on. at least that's what i see on other sites

RoadBikeReview Member
    Disc would be a deal killer for me. Iím not anti-disc by any means.. On my mtb I do snow and ice rides and the performance difference is really important. I also do a lot of beach rides too where I never ever touch the brakes... so, performance advantage acknowledgement aside I canít see wanting disc on my road bikes? I do occasional rain rides and braking is never a first rate concern compared to road paint, steel, pooling water, visibility... I do get on the brake early and dry the rim but I get super reliable stopping power every time. I think road bikes are beautiful things. I love the aesthetic. Other bikes, meh. But road bikes? I absolutely love the look and discs cramp the aesthetic I so admire without improving performance in a way that matters to me. Iím no Luddite, albeit, blackfrancois has been slowly and surely making me want a retro down tube bike, but if I canít get the advantaged discs, why bother? For me, discs have their place, and it is where they make an imortant performance improvement. Otherwise, meh.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.