Parts Bin Bike Build
    Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010

Parts Bin Bike Build

When COVID put me in lockdown this past spring, I decided to play the ďTrade UpĒ game to see how well I could do buying, trading, repairing, and selling bikes. Back in March I started with buying a $40.00 fixie off Craigslist and have worked my way up to 11 bikes in the garage, 3 of which are in various stages of being torn down for a rebuild. I donít know if anyone is interested in following my build, but I figured Iíd start a thread on the 1st rebuild project. Now that the rains have arrived I may actually take the time to finish it. My goal with it is to make it a cheap winter beater hill slayer. Itís the bike Iíll use when the weather is sh*t. Most importantly, I want to keep the budget down so Iíll be using as many spare parts as I can. Hereís the plan:

Frame: Leader 715r 58cm
    Fork: Generic 1Ē carbon fork
    Brake Levers: MicroNew 3x9 (I did say ďcheapĒ)
    Handlebar: Pro Vibe 7s
    Stem: FSA
    Headset: Origin8 1Ē threadless
    Front and Rear Derailleurs: Ultegra 6500
    Crankset: Cannondale EX triple 24/38/52
    Cassette: Ultegra CS-6500 12-27 9-speed
    Wheels: Alex DA28
    Brakes: undecided
    Tires: Iíll see if I can fit 700x32
    Saddle: Brooks C15

Since itís a black frame Iím going to use red accents because I figure it may end up looking better than it rides. Or I may surprise myself.

Last edited by b4_ford; 09-26-2020 at 04:08 PM.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
    When COVID put me in lockdown this past spring, I decided to play the ďTrade UpĒ game to see how well I could do buying, trading, repairing, and selling bikes. Back in March I started with buying a $40.00 fixie off Craigslist and have worked my way up to 11 bikes in the garage, 3 of which are in various stages of being torn down for a rebuild. I donít know if anyone is interested in following my build, but I figured Iíd start a thread on the 1st rebuild project. Now that the rains have arrived I may actually take the time to finish it. My goal with it is to make it a cheap winter beater hill slayer. Itís the bike Iíll use when the weather is sh*t. Most importantly, I want to keep the budget down so Iíll be using as many spare parts as I can. Hereís the plan:

Frame: Leader 715r 58cm
    Fork: Generic 1Ē carbon fork
    Brake Levers: MicroNew 3x9 (I did say ďcheapĒ)
    Handlebar: Pro Vibe 7s
    Stem: FSA
    Headset: Origin8 1Ē threadless
    Front and Rear Derailleurs: Ultegra 6500
    Crankset: Cannondale EX triple 24/38/52
    Cassette: Ultegra CS-6500 12-27 9-speed
    Wheels: Alex DA28
    Brakes: undecided
    Tires: Iíll see if I can fit 700x32
    Saddle: Brooks C15

Since itís a black frame Iím going to use red accents because I figure it may end up looking better than it rides. Or I may surprise myself.

I put Tektro brakes on my beater, and I was quite pleased at how well they worked.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 11 million covid cases in the United States (as of November 14th), ten months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    24X27 should slay most any 'hill'.

Ultegra derailleurs and cassette make a nice beater.

Inspect regularly any used generic 1" carbon forks.

edit:
    (some older designs had bonded front and rear halves with inadequate cf reinforcement at the crown. Even tiny cracks that do not appear deep should be suspect. And the bonding adhesive of older forks with Al fork ends can deteriorate - so check that periodically. But hey, we all inspect our bikes regularly - right?)

Is the Leader an aluminum frame? They make good winter beaters!
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 09-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Lots of bikes - vintage steel w/ friction thru modern Ti and CF w/ brifters.

What the what???
    Pictures didnít come through, but I like where your head is at. When I get my wish and we get a ďCheap BastardsĒ forum around here this is exactly the kind of thing to post.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Pictures didnít come through, but I like where your head is at. When I get my wish and we get a ďCheap BastardsĒ forum around here this is exactly the kind of thing to post.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That was weird. Pictures loaded fine, but then disappeared? Might be a quirk with the app Iím using. I reloaded them, even though there isnít much to see yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    24X27 should slay most any 'hill'.

Ultegra derailleurs and cassette make a nice beater.

Inspect regularly any used generic 1" carbon forks.

edit:
    (some older designs had bonded front and rear halves with inadequate cf reinforcement at the crown. Even tiny cracks that do not appear deep should be suspect. And the bonding adhesive of older forks with Al fork ends can deteriorate - so check that periodically. But hey, we all inspect our bikes regularly - right?)

Is the Leader an aluminum frame? They make good winter beaters!
    The frame is aluminum. I donít know much about Leader frames, but they have generally good reviews online. I have 2 carbon forks. The unlabeled one has a carbon steer tube. The Time fork has an aluminum one. Iím planning on using the Time fork on a future single speed build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk