Perscription Sunglasses
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Perscription Sunglasses

Well I need some prescription sunglasses. I would like a pair that has the option of swapping lens to match the conditions. Looking for suggestions.

Aug 2003

Zeal Optics

Quote Originally Posted by lextek
    Well I need some prescription sunglasses. I would like a pair that has the option of swapping lens to match the conditions. Looking for suggestions.
    Zeals are great. I've had a pair for over a year and I'm really impressed. You can get the frames, 3 sets of lenses and a case for $350. www.zealoptics.com

Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek
    I've got a pair of Bolle Vigilantes (or Predators, can't remember right now - okay they're Paroles, I went and checked after logging off this morning), which I picked up at my local optometrist for about $150 including 4 sets of lenses and the prescription insert. I've been pretty happy with them too, although I'm thinking about getting those temple sleeves to keep the glasses tighter on my face (they do slide down my nose as I get sweaty). Actually, my glasses my have been cheaper than the above price as I bought my daily lenses at the same time and got the guy to cut me a deal (15-20% off if I recall, but it has been a year).
    Last edited by Rob March; 05-08-2004 at 12:11 PM.

tdiclub Member

oakley

I have a pair of Oakley A?-wires with my perscription with transition lenses. I wear them as everyday glasses and while riding. Semi-wrap around, good comfort, titanium and were around $160 for the frames. Look into the transition option, I was a bit weary but they have been very helpfull, goes clear inside and darkens in a matter of seconds depending of the intensity of naturla light. I am wearling them in my profile pic to the left. The only down side is that after two years use the lenses turn yellowish and the dark does not get so dark. Time for new lenses, frames are in tip top shape. They have actually saved my eyes from poking myself in the eye with a screwdriver! Deflected off and I now have a deep scratch on the right lens.

NeoRetroGrouch

One thing to consider...

I have the Bolle Vigilante (the same Rx insert also fits Parole, Peloton, Echelon). The glasses with 2 lenses were ~$35 from Performance, insert $20 from eBay and prescription about $75 from Sears. (Total= $130). I also picked up 5 more sets of lenses for ~$20 on eBay.

The thing to watch for is, if you race or otherwise need to look behind a lot (and fashion will not allow a mirror), the inserts are so narrow that you have no peripheral vision. You have to turn completely around to see backwards. Other than that, they are great.

The Parole is a slightly smaller version of the Vigilante and the Peleton and Echelon were Performance in-house version of the exact same glasses.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Nov 2002

Rudy Graal with Transition lenses

I have Rudy projects and like them very much. The graals block wind well, and look stylish. Transition lenses rock! You don't have to worry about different lighting conditions, and so you just put them on and ride. Simple!

Coot

Game on, b*tches!

Another option;

Briko Klips. 3 sets of lenses and they're easier to swap than the Bolles. I had Bolles before these. Frankly, the Bolles are made better but the Brikos are easier to swap lenses and are a bit lighter.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Category Four Racer
    Jan 2003

Cool

Check out:

http://www.in-spex.com

He knows what he is doing! I have gotten two sets from him so far over two years. He is an eye doctor and a triathlete.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I have Oakleys but you cannot swap out the lenses on the frame I have. But the oakley optics are the best. Rx sunglasses is THE best $$$ I ever spent on cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Rudy Project Rx

Check out the Rudy Project prescription eyewear at http://www.rudyrx.com/

Cipo's long lost cousin

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by abqnick
    Zeals are great. I've had a pair for over a year and I'm really impressed. You can get the frames, 3 sets of lenses and a case for $350. www.zealoptics.com

I have a pair of Zetkors for two years and have been very happy with them. Great glasses for the $$$ and good customer service...
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant