Pinarello Dogma 60.1 in 2019 - Worth It? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    You didn't even know that Gary Fisher was his own brand until bought out by Trek around 10 years ago.
    You just assumed I didn't know this because of my reply about "4 Trek bikes". Of course I knew Gary Fisher was its own brand once. But as CXWrench said, it was 26 years ago, not 10 when Trek bought them out. In case you couldn't figure it out, that was my jab at Trek. But of course, you turned it around to make it look like I didn't know. Once again, FAIL.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    You didn't even know that Gary Fisher was his own brand until bought out by Trek around 10 years ago.
    Uh oh. The glass just cracked on the Irrelevancy Meter, and smoke is coming out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Yes, but I am so filled with the Festivus spirit that I am willing to give people the opportunity to learn and grow, ...
    Thank You. This is the core of what makes this RBRForum relevant.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Are you saying that Gary Fisher didn't build carbon fiber bikes under his own name?
    Not one. Ever. Fisher sold the company and name to Trek in 1993.
    #promechaniclife

xxl
    ...Your really close buddy boys decided to back you up including some guy who used a picture of who I suppose is Wonder Woman which pretty much shows his inclinations....
    ...that he's inclined to think Gal Godot brings the hotness?

FTR, she does at that, very much so--or were you more of a Lynda Carter fellow? I would not blame you either way.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Not one. Ever. Fisher sold the company and name to Trek in 1993.
    Oooops! Looks like he walked away with his tail between his legs.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Thank You. This is the core of what makes this RBRForum relevant.
    Well, it could have had relevance but there are four or five posters here whose entire lives are not to help people but to complain that someone else doesn't know what they're talking about. Imagine someone who has never owned or even ridden a high end carbon fiber bike talking about them?

Should that make me angry? Well, now that I know who the idiot actors are it won't.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well, it could have had relevance but there are four or five posters here whose entire lives are not to help people but to complain that someone else doesn't know what they're talking about. Imagine someone who has never owned or even ridden a high end carbon fiber bike talking about them?

Should that make me angry? Well, now that I know who the idiot actors are it won't.
    So are Treks good bikes in your opinion?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I have never made a claim that I'm an engineer while you have. What do you specialize in? You know damn well what I do.
    Stop buddying up with the little kids here. You're better than that aren't you?

I'm an electronics engineer, and electro-mechanical engineer and a programmer. Between jobs I did everything from recovery of commercial aircraft (during the Vietnam Airlift) to becoming partners in a telephone installation firm working in skyscrapers. I was a registered pro mechanic in the American Motorcycle Association and worked for a shop on flat trackers, road raced semi-pro for Kawasaki (I'm too tall for that so I was Mr. Third Place) and after my sponsor had a heart attack and died one night after closing time while we were talking and I was too stupid to know heart massage, I became the Safety Director for the American Federation of Motorcyclists. I bought and raced sailboats and then would be watch captain and navigator on large sailboats racing from San Francisco to Catalina near Los Angeles for millionaires.

I engineered largely on medical instruments and was lucky enough to make a rather large contribution to medical science in that manner. I also worked on the Pacific Coast hub of the Internet. I also programmed poison gas detectors for the military and in so doing injured my lungs putting an end to my bicycle racing. I'm VFW from Vietnam. I assisted the Laurence Berkeley Laboratories people increase the power of their cyclotron since I had worked with 60 million volts in one of my early jobs. I designed and programmed some boards that would convert all of the different bus standards either way and these were installed on the International Space Station (which was only the US Space Station at that time).

While I'm not specifically a materials engineer I've picked up enough of that to know quite a bit about it. And since I was a high level manager in other firms, I also have a basic grounding in law so that I don't break contracts or put a company into a position to get sued. I come from a dead poor family that could hardly make ends meet until the unions came into the railroads. And in the process of all of this I've made a million several times. Because I've seen how fast it can disappear and what it is like to be poor I am careful with money and have always built my own bikes from scratch to get the most bang for the buck.

My mother contracted cancer before they knew how to treat it and radiation and chemo therapy was considered research and development so I spent a million bucks on that. First you see it and then you don't. In those days companies hardly paid you at all but they gave you stock options. I cashed mine in at exactly the right time since that company went belly up not too long after that. After they stopped giving options I started asking real money. When minimum wages were less than $5/hr I was making over $150k/year.

My memory may be a little screwed up because of the serious concussion I sustained But I've forgotten more than idiots like Sock Puppet will ever know.

BTW - I doped out how Di2 works now so I don't need to discuss it and haven't been able to find that other discussion to say so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm an electronics engineer ... electro-mechanical engineer ... programmer ... pro mechanic ... bought and raced sailboats ... medical instruments ... Internet ... poison gas detectors for the military ... cyclotron ... International Space Station ... materials engineer ... law ...
    In all your exploits, did you ever meet a guy named James Thurber?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    You forgot about designing the machine that tested for AIDS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    If you don't understand what AIDS is why are you posting? I developed a microtitration device to test blood using the polymerase chain reaction chemistry. This was then used to detect the unknown, until then, virus HIV in blood samples.

Later I added another 4 dimensions of motion so that they could eventually determine that everyone that had AIDS which is an overloading of the immune system, was infected with HIV and no other common source.

And at another company I greatly expanded and sped the system up using multiple and faster microprocessors which was used by drug companies for developing drugs.

Banned Sock Puppet
    You mean the guy whose dad died of the chestnut blight?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I'm an electronics engineer, and electro-mechanical engineer and a programmer........................................ ..
    Yada, yada, yada, yada. Please stop. Nobody here cares about hearing your bragging.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You mean the guy whose dad died of the chestnut blight?
    Author of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Author of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"
    How could I forget that one? Yup, fits perfectly.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

Tom, I asked nicely to knock off the insults. Take the holiday off and let's try again in 2020.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Nobody is insulting you any more than you are insulting others. We help many people here and part of that help is calling out faulty or misleading advice from others. Though it's not your misleading advice that is causing others to call you out as much as your combative manner.

And I was not the one who used words like "wanker" like you did in post #53 and then you spouted political smear words on a non-PO forum. You then made bogus threats and on top of all that, you made racist stereotypes about Malaysians and Muslims.

You really need to get off your high horse, Tom.
    You are aware that "wanker" is not a political term I hope?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    So now you are making stereotypes? FAIL.
    Have you ever been out of your own backyard? The average height of an American is 3 or 4 inches taller than a Malaysian and you aren't even bright enough to look that up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Do you have some problem with people that have done a lot? What would that say about you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Indeed, but I assumed you already knew that. That was at the time that Greg Lemond almost died because the blood banking system was closed down. He had severely low blood count because of his hunting accident and all they could do was give him intravenous saline solution.

By the way, interesting thought - I have a Lemond Zurich of the last model made out of oversize Reynolds 853. It is a 58 cm and so is my Colnago CLX 3.0 - the Lemond is actually the same weight as the Colnago. A local shop here sells Waterfords - that is a complete line of custom bikes ranging from touring bikes with intricate arabesque lug work to superlight racing models that weigh the same as my Trek Emonda. So if you want steel rather than carbon fiber you don't have to suffer very much, if any, weight penalty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did a six month ban just expire? Wow, you must have been bottled up inside.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thread destroyer is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456