Pinarello Dogma 60.1 in 2019 - Worth It?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 148
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4

    Pinarello Dogma 60.1 in 2019 - Worth It?

    Hi Riders,
    I am Rashid from Malaysia, a newbie who is scouting to buy his first carbon bike.

    Its 2019, and Pinarello Dogma 60.1 is still in the market. Second hand though, the frame is still priced at 1000 USD.

    Being the first in the Dogma line and it is hard to find a comparison between this model and a F8 or F10. Or if any rider can share their experience comparing this 60.1 with our recent carbon frame, i.e. Super Six Evo?

    I do hope there are among you can help me in this matter.

    Tq.

  2. #2
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,029
    You posted 10 hours ago and over 100 views w/ no replies. You have asked a totally subjective question, and it's in the wrong section of the forum. It's also your first post. Look around a little bit, figure out where the proper section for your question is but realize that what someone else thinks about the Pinarello whatever might be totally different that what you feel about it.




    Hint: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/
    #promechaniclife

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,018
    If u have a super six evo, the upgrade would not be worth it.
    BANNED

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by nurashidnm View Post
    Hi Riders,
    I am Rashid from Malaysia, a newbie who is scouting to buy his first carbon bike.

    Its 2019, and Pinarello Dogma 60.1 is still in the market. Second hand though, the frame is still priced at 1000 USD.

    Being the first in the Dogma line and it is hard to find a comparison between this model and a F8 or F10. Or if any rider can share their experience comparing this 60.1 with our recent carbon frame, i.e. Super Six Evo?

    I do hope there are among you can help me in this matter.

    Tq.
    The first thing that jumps out at me is the size. That is for people of 6' or taller. I'm 6'4" and most of the bikes I ride now are XL which are 58 cm for the most part. My older Steel Basso Loto is a 62 and I like riding that but I thought that most Malaysians were not especially tall.

    I am not especially a fan of the new Pinarello carbon fiber bikes. In my experience the only bikes that I could trust in Carbon Fiber were Time and Look. Their quality control is absolutely spotless. Now I do own a Colnago CLX 3.0 and it is made in Taiwan and it seem to have extremely good quality control as well but Colnago will not put more than a three year guarantee on carbon fiber frames and I believe in Europe it is only 2.

    While Colnago was one of the first to pioneer carbon fiber and there are all sorts of C40's still on the road perhaps they still have the idea that they must protect themselves from American laws.

    In any case if you wanted a modern carbon fiber bike of very high quality I would suggest you keep with Look or Time. I've had both and never have a problem with them.

  5. #5
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    ..........I thought that most Malaysians were not especially tall.
    So now you are making stereotypes? FAIL.
    Last edited by Lombard; 12-14-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,018
    OP doesn't list what he considers an upgrade.
    Handling, plush ride, climbing/sprinting, wow factor, warranty, length of service, and most importantly color.
    My Pino had all the above, IMO. But it wasn't a Dogma, which is a race bike. Have no idea what a Super Six Evo is.
    BANNED

  7. #7
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OP doesn't list what he considers an upgrade.
    Handling, plush ride, climbing/sprinting, wow factor, warranty, length of service, and most importantly color.
    My Pino had all the above, IMO. But it wasn't a Dogma, which is a race bike. Have no idea what a Super Six Evo is.
    The Cannondale Super Six Evo is a race bike.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    I think that you have a very good reason that you have a sock puppet as a picture on your entries.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OP doesn't list what he considers an upgrade.
    Handling, plush ride, climbing/sprinting, wow factor, warranty, length of service, and most importantly color.
    My Pino had all the above, IMO. But it wasn't a Dogma, which is a race bike. Have no idea what a Super Six Evo is.
    Didn't the two year warranty period bother you? What would you think of buying a Tesla model S for $120,000 and getting a two year warranty?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,018
    Your very close to joining Fred in these parts.

    Oh, and 'NO' it obviously didn't, it is still rolling today.
    BANNED

  11. #11
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    I think that you have a very good reason that you have a sock puppet as a picture on your entries.
    You recommend both Look and Time which are both great frames. The only problem is that if you do have a warranty issue it generally takes forever to get resolved. A guy I used to race with on the track broke the seat binder on his Look track frame the same week he blew the engine in his Audi RS4. The Audi went in to the dealer, parts were ordered from Germany, received, engine rebuilt and he was on the road in less than 4 weeks. The Look...it took 6 weeks to get a simple part from France.

    I really don't think warranty coverage is a huge problem these days. Nearly every company offers a similar lifetime deal. A properly constructed carbon frame has no fatigue life, it should last forever. The majority of warranty claims I see aren't 'failures' but things like BB90 shells getting loose from bearing flex/corrosion. I'm glad Trek seems to be going back to threaded bb shells, T47 will be good. There are very few claims that are actually problems w/ materials/workmanship.

    I wouldn't have a problem riding pretty much any carbon frame these days. Anyone that thinks they're taking a chance w/ some kind of catastrophic failure because they're on a carbon frame is clueless. I thought maybe you'd given up after getting so soundly thrashed by virtually everyone in the last thread but I guess you really are into the abuse.
    #promechaniclife

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You recommend both Look and Time which are both great frames. The only problem is that if you do have a warranty issue it generally takes forever to get resolved. A guy I used to race with on the track broke the seat binder on his Look track frame the same week he blew the engine in his Audi RS4. The Audi went in to the dealer, parts were ordered from Germany, received, engine rebuilt and he was on the road in less than 4 weeks. The Look...it took 6 weeks to get a simple part from France.

    I really don't think warranty coverage is a huge problem these days. Nearly every company offers a similar lifetime deal. A properly constructed carbon frame has no fatigue life, it should last forever. The majority of warranty claims I see aren't 'failures' but things like BB90 shells getting loose from bearing flex/corrosion. I'm glad Trek seems to be going back to threaded bb shells, T47 will be good. There are very few claims that are actually problems w/ materials/workmanship.

    I wouldn't have a problem riding pretty much any carbon frame these days. Anyone that thinks they're taking a chance w/ some kind of catastrophic failure because they're on a carbon frame is clueless. I thought maybe you'd given up after getting so soundly thrashed by virtually everyone in the last thread but I guess you really are into the abuse.
    The reliability of carbon frames is entirely dependent on the frame and fork having no voids. Since I am taking anti-seizure medication for the rest of my life due to a fork failure and my best friend has a right hand with permanent damage, neither of us share your confidence in just any bike, especially when most of them have been made in China where quality control isn't high on the list of requirements.

    As an engineer I'm willing to made some judgements based upon the joints of the bike and how they are shaped and hence what sort of forces are likely to be present. But I do know that this is nothing more than a guess. Look and Time are constructed in such a manner that you could make any shape of tubes or joints and not worry about it because they engineer the strength specifically for the application.

    But if you're willing to take your own chances that is your choice. I'm just suggesting to our Malaysian friend that he be very careful with the make and size of bike.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    The first thing that jumps out at me is the size...
    ????? The OP doesn't mention the size.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    ????? The OP doesn't mention the size.
    That may be - I assumed that the 60.1 was the size and not the model. Since he seemed to be speaking about a specific bike and it was my assumption that Dogma is the model and the 60.1 was a size (most carbon fiber bikes now are sold only in xs, s, m, l and xl) and if you measure these directly the actual measurements can vary all over the map. But in my experience XL normally measures around 58 cm corrected for top tube tilt. ( my Ridley XL in fact does measure approximately 60.1 cm)

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    That may be - I assumed that the 60.1 was the size and not the model. Since he seemed to be speaking about a specific bike and it was my assumption that Dogma is the model and the 60.1 was a size (most carbon fiber bikes now are sold only in xs, s, m, l and xl) and if you measure these directly the actual measurements can vary all over the map. But in my experience XL normally measures around 58 cm corrected for top tube tilt. ( my Ridley XL in fact does measure approximately 60.1 cm)
    So, you're offering advice about a bike that you are not at all familiar with?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,018
    His advise is not worth beans... how many CF bikes do you see fail on your rides?
    The way he talks it like happens almost immediately after pulling out of the lot.
    In all my years riding how many CF bikes did I see fail.... zero!
    BANNED

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Are you familiar with it?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    His advise is not worth beans... how many CF bikes do you see fail on your rides?
    The way he talks it like happens almost immediately after pulling out of the lot.
    In all my years riding how many CF bikes did I see fail.... zero!
    And I have seen four fail non-catastrophically and two catastrophically. And ALL of them were with normal Bay Area riding. And all on road only riding.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    His advise is not worth beans... how many CF bikes do you see fail on your rides?
    The way he talks it like happens almost immediately after pulling out of the lot.
    In all my years riding how many CF bikes did I see fail.... zero!
    Don't you think that all you have to see is one - the one you're riding before you take the possible problems with carbon fiber more serious? I had a Look 286 and a Time Edge that I didn't have any problems with at all which made me complacent. Turns out that if you look at https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BF&FORM=VDQVAP You can get some ideas.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    Are you familiar with it?
    Somewhat ... but I'm not offering advice about it.

  21. #21
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    The reliability of carbon frames is entirely dependent on the frame and fork having no voids. Since I am taking anti-seizure medication for the rest of my life due to a fork failure and my best friend has a right hand with permanent damage, neither of us share your confidence in just any bike, especially when most of them have been made in China where quality control isn't high on the list of requirements.

    As an engineer I'm willing to made some judgements based upon the joints of the bike and how they are shaped and hence what sort of forces are likely to be present.
    Excuse me, what type of engineer are you again? The type that would have zero experience w/ composites in general and bicycle frames in particular if I remember correctly from the thread you started...about frame materials.

    Strong and durable composite parts have a LOT more to do with than just 'voids'. Maybe you should do some research into how they're made these days.
    #promechaniclife

  22. #22
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,865
    Quote Originally Posted by nurashidnm View Post
    Hi Riders,
    I am Rashid from Malaysia, a newbie who is scouting to buy his first carbon bike.

    Its 2019, and Pinarello Dogma 60.1 is still in the market. Second hand though, the frame is still priced at 1000 USD.

    Being the first in the Dogma line and it is hard to find a comparison between this model and a F8 or F10. Or if any rider can share their experience comparing this 60.1 with our recent carbon frame, i.e. Super Six Evo?

    I do hope there are among you can help me in this matter.

    Tq.
    I owned both Dogma and then the F8. The F8 was better and faster at everything, and overall was a very good race bike. Dogma was solid, and there is little to regret if it fits you. Recent super bikes are way more aero, usually run discs and thru axels so they are very different beasts.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  23. #23
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    And I have seen four fail non-catastrophically and two catastrophically. And ALL of them were with normal Bay Area riding. And all on road only riding.
    Would you mind telling us the brand of frames these were that failed? I really don't think the vast majority of riders have seen a frame fail catastrophically that wasn't already involved in a crash. The fact that you claim to have seen 6 is interesting.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  24. #24
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,177
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Excuse me, what type of engineer are you again?
    Most likely this type:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    310
    Are you telling me that you're a composites engineer? That is a very narrow specialty and almost all of them are employed in Aerospace industries. So what is it you actually do?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RBR TdF 2019 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2019
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-27-2019, 03:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM
  3. 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter vs. 2019 Canyon Grail cyclocross bike
    By hartley1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2018, 01:23 PM
  4. 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter vs. 2019 Canyon Grail cyclocross bike
    By hartley1 in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM
  5. Is 2011 pinarello dogma 60.1 worth buying?
    By rbhatup in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.