Pitbull Pedal is back
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 248
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    181

    Pitbull Pedal is back

    Well everyone it has been a long time since our last post. We have not been sitting back doing nothing though. We had a few investors interested in the product but when it came down to actual money their talk was bigger than their wallet. Now the good news is that we have been working with LOOK bicycle in France for the last 5 or 6 months. They have been awesome to work with. Unfortunately here at the end they decided not to move forward with our pedal as they just geared up their factory for the 2020 pedal that they have invested so much into. Vincent (the R&D manager) was extremely positive and told us that he felt we had a good product and hopefully we could get it to market. So that is what we have been working on the last month or so. There are different avenues that we will be trying to go.

    We know that we have a good pedal as it has been tested it seems like forever with no issues. We know that we are not about go cure cancer but we know that we have the fastest pedal out there. It will be marketed at a good price.

    I believe that this sums up everything and I will be responding as I am able.

    We also have this thread on BikeForums.net's road cycling area. Just looking for more input.

  2. #2
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,258
    Are you getting the same input there as you got here? Which wasn't real positive. This is the pedal that's basically a spindle that you slide the shoe onto using an enormous cleat, right?

  3. #3
    CEO Of The Internet
    Reputation: shermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    203
    I can't believe Look decided not to move forward with your pedal, did they not see the video of Roger sprinting?

  4. #4
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Mods should merge this with the previous thread for context.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...al-363755.html

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,516
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    [COLOR=#222222]Now the good news is that we have been working with LOOK bicycle in France...they decided not to move forward with our pedal...
    great news...thanks for sharing.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  7. #7
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,399
    So......your pedal is D.O.A., and this is the last we'll hear about it?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,956
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So......your pedal is D.O.A., and this is the last we'll hear about it?
    With any luck.
    Too old to ride plastic

  9. #9
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,828
    Reinventing the wheel is a beautiful thing.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,079
    My honest opinion is that your pedal/cleat design doesn't have a market.


    It does look like clipping in would be very easy. That's the only selling point I can see.
    If that is the case:

    There may be a small segment of Freds, Beginners and people who just can't figure it out with other pedals who that might appeal to. But how many of them would be best off with no float and wouldn't just use platforms if clipping in is an issue. That market segment also tends to care about walking and not scratching floors. Your cleats look like a big fail there.

    Mtn Bikers and Cyclocross riders would probably like the easy in also. But again how many of them don't want float? And there's the walking/running thing. Imagine a metal clear walking along a hunk or granite. And those cleats look as if some mud would really f up functionality.

    Commuters - Again the walking and scratching floors thing.

    Roadies - Maybe a few that don't care about float will be interested. I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.

  11. #11
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.
    Yeah, but that only works if the weight of the cleat -- which is basically the pedal -- is excluded. Then again, the ability of the cycling industry to churn out "improvements" and reinvent the wheel seems endless. I await the next reincarnation of biopace chain rings. Anyone spot a bike with those over size derailer pulleys lately? And oh yeah, disc brakes.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Are you getting the same input there as you got here? Which wasn't real positive. This is the pedal that's basically a spindle that you slide the shoe onto using an enormous cleat, right?

    The answer is yes and no. We have refined the spindle and we have an entire different cleat than before I do believe.


    Quote Originally Posted by shermes View Post
    I can't believe Look decided not to move forward with your pedal, did they not see the video of Roger sprinting?
    I think because we had some action shots of Roger that it kept us in the loop a little longer.


    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Mods should merge this with the previous thread for context.
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...al-363755.html
    That is not a bad idea. But we have started an entire company with a website/FB/etc so it is kind of a new set up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    great news...thanks for sharing.
    No problem

    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So......your pedal is D.O.A., and this is the last we'll hear about it?
    You never know, I'm not a quitter & an optimist.

    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    With any luck.
    Everyone needs a little luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Reinventing the wheel is a beautiful thing.
    I can't think of how many different cars that are offered. With different shapes, sizes, costs, etc. Maybe there will be room for one more set of pedals that are the fastest and easiest to learn with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    My honest opinion is that your pedal/cleat design doesn't have a market.

    It does look like clipping in would be very easy. That's the only selling point I can see.
    If that is the case:

    There may be a small segment of Freds, Beginners and people who just can't figure it out with other pedals who that might appeal to. But how many of them would be best off with no float and wouldn't just use platforms if clipping in is an issue. That market segment also tends to care about walking and not scratching floors. Your cleats look like a big fail there.

    Mtn Bikers and Cyclocross riders would probably like the easy in also. But again how many of them don't want float? And there's the walking/running thing. Imagine a metal clear walking along a hunk or granite. And those cleats look as if some mud would really f up functionality.

    Commuters - Again the walking and scratching floors thing.

    Roadies - Maybe a few that don't care about float will be interested. I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.
    Thank you for the lengthy opinion, these are a different cleat. Maybe you can take a peak at them on the website.


    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, but that only works if the weight of the cleat -- which is basically the pedal -- is excluded. Then again, the ability of the cycling industry to churn out "improvements" and reinvent the wheel seems endless. I await the next reincarnation of biopace chain rings. Anyone spot a bike with those over size derailer pulleys lately? And oh yeah, disc brakes.
    I think that there is always room for change. Not trying to out sell Shimano. Just a couple guys having fun. It would be nice to sell a certain amount of units a month in the US and we would be happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, but that only works if the weight of the cleat -- which is basically the pedal -- is excluded. Then again, the ability of the cycling industry to churn out "improvements" and reinvent the wheel seems endless. I await the next reincarnation of biopace chain rings. Anyone spot a bike with those over size derailer pulleys lately? And oh yeah, disc brakes.
    I think my use of the word "suckers" covers that. I know, most thinking people realize that weight is weight but the dude that just cares what his 'bike' weight either doesn't realize or is happy to ignore it.

    I've been thinking of picking up where speedplay left off coming up with a way to attach entire crank arms to my shoes to really cut down bike weight.

  14. #14
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,258
    And the OP needs to come up with a better name than pitbull pedal. Something euro techie. Lets have a name contest.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,292
    I name things for a living (really, that's my job) and I thought it was hilarious that a pedal, most feared would cause awful punctures/injuries, was named "Pitbull". Who says there's no truth in advertising ;-)

  16. #16
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,955
    pitbullbikepedal.com

    "FASTEST ROAD BIKE PEDAL"
    I'd like to see the test sampling to determine this is the fastest road bike pedal.

    Patent
    So brilliant it's patented!
    lmao. You can literally patent... ANYTHING.

    Like... the Hiccup Treatment... So brilliant it's patented!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    And the OP needs to come up with a better name than pitbull pedal. Something euro techie. Lets have a name contest.
    If you had thought of this earlier I could've done it, but everything is already filed under the name. Also our logo is a pitbull holding a pedal.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I name things for a living (really, that's my job) and I thought it was hilarious that a pedal, most feared would cause awful punctures/injuries, was named "Pitbull". Who says there's no truth in advertising ;-)
    I appreciate your job, but in this case it would be like a pitbull with no teeth. Our pedal has a full 3/4" blunt end to prevent harm in a fall.


    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    pitbullbikepedal.com

    I'd like to see the test sampling to determine this is the fastest road bike pedal.

    lmao. You can literally patent... ANYTHING.

    Like... the Hiccup Treatment... So brilliant it's patented!

    Oh its you again. As far as speed, get a stopwatch and test your or anyone else's pedals. Both feet on the ground to both feet engaged. In our video I said around 2 or 2.5 seconds, which made me laugh when I played the video and timed it myself it is under 2 seconds to have both feet engaged. That is why I believe we are the fastest with a 360 degree entrance. How many patents do you have?

  18. #18
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Oh its you again.
    Yea... it's me again. And if you go back to your original thread, the idea for a full 3/4" blunt end to prevent harm in a fall, that was MY suggestion which you changed from your round nose design.

    You're welcome.


    As far as speed, get a stopwatch and test your or anyone else's pedals. Both feet on the ground to both feet engaged. In our video I said around 2 or 2.5 seconds, which made me laugh when I played the video and timed it myself it is under 2 seconds to have both feet engaged.
    I can do it in 2 or 2.5 seconds.
    But that's not the point. I asked about YOUR test sampling. A sampling of (1) is meaningless.

    How many patents do you have?
    One. But that doesn't prove anything.
    Like I said... anyone can patent any stupid idea. Merely having a patent is not a metric of brilliance.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,356
    Looks like a clunkier version of the early '80s Aerolite pedals.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Looks like a clunkier version of the early '80s Aerolite pedals.
    Holy smokes, they're still available!

    AeroLite Pedals Official Site - Home
    Too old to ride plastic

  21. #21
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Looks like a clunkier version of the early '80s Aerolite pedals.
    Hell, those things go back to the early 70's! Nothing like brand-new 45 year old technology...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    As far as speed, get a stopwatch and test your or anyone else's pedals. Both feet on the ground to both feet engaged.
    If you watch cyclists start off from a stop light, they don't normally start with two feet on the ground. They typically leave one foot clipped in while they wait, or they clip in one foot before the light turns green. Then, when the light turns green they push with the clipped-in foot, and then clip in their second foot. So, if you want to make a meaningful comparison, measure the time it takes a cyclist to clip in their second foot. (I use the word "meaningful" loosely; I don't think saving a split-second clipping in is a big deal.)

  23. #23
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,828
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'd like to see the test sampling to determine this is the fastest road bike pedal.
    I'd like to see the test sampling of riders who really care about this.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    760

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea... it's me again. And if you go back to your original thread, the idea for a full 3/4" blunt end to prevent harm in a fall, that was MY suggestion which you changed from your round nose design.
    You're welcome.
    I can do it in 2 or 2.5 seconds.
    But that's not the point. I asked about YOUR test sampling. A sampling of (1) is meaningless.
    One. But that doesn't prove anything.
    Like I said... anyone can patent any stupid idea. Merely having a patent is not a metric of brilliance.
    I guess I never claimed to be brilliant, we are just a couple of old bucks having fun. Since you were the one that had mentioned enlarging the end of the pedal, we do appreciate it and it did improve the system I do believe. Also with the larger outside it is now virtually impossible for your foot to slide off the end. Although we had not had any trouble with it slipping so far.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Looks like a clunkier version of the early '80s Aerolite pedals.
    They do have a similiar look, but the patent office thought they were different enough to issue the patent. These pedals we do believe are far superior as you do not have to locate them at all, and they hold a tremendous amount of wattage.

    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Hell, those things go back to the early 70's! Nothing like brand-new 45 year old technology...
    Funny, I own a successful cabinet shop and I still draw on a 1950's drafting board that my father had used. I have a metal file cabinet that I keep my paperwork in. My son has everything else on the computer, it is sometimes just easier to open a paper folder than to find something on the computer. Both work, sometime the old way just works better for some.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    If you watch cyclists start off from a stop light, they don't normally start with two feet on the ground. They typically leave one foot clipped in while they wait, or they clip in one foot before the light turns green. Then, when the light turns green they push with the clipped-in foot, and then clip in their second foot. So, if you want to make a meaningful comparison, measure the time it takes a cyclist to clip in their second foot. (I use the word "meaningful" loosely; I don't think saving a split-second clipping in is a big deal.)
    I agree 100%. When I come to a stop sign or a light, I have my left foot clipped in before it turns green or before I am about to go. Where I feel we have the edge is where I push down with my left foot as the right pedal comes up, I immediately engage and am already on a power stroke.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Forget the PitBull, beware of BigBill
    By OldEndicottHiway in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-06-2019, 02:25 PM
  2. Loose Pitbull chasing cyclist in Mooers, NY Friday May 6, 2016
    By FasterStronger in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 01:12 AM
  3. How we keep the French Bulldog and Pitbull Friendly
    By Ridgetop in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  4. Another viscious pitbull thread
    By bmxhacksaw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.