Pitbull pedal packaging design - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Unfortunately you are out of your freaking mind. I have not approached this that way ever. Also I have never responded to anyone this way before. You are just completely way off base. Maybe you think of pit bulls or dogs in general as just angry beasts. We do not. Actually our graphic is smiling, maybe you just have not noticed it.
    What planet do you live on? Justified or not, a pit bull is the stereotype of a vicious dog. You may be in love with the Pitbull name, but OldZaskar is spot on with his assessment. Your branding does not convey, in any way, the purported advantage of these pedals. There will not be one potential customer who thinks "Wow, Pitbull Pedals. I bet they're quick and easy to use!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There is no question among sane people that pit bulls have the most ferocious bite. Proven in multiple studies. It's not even debatable.
    Dog Bite Study: Injuries from pit bull bites most frequent, most severe
    Central Texas Pediatric Study: Pit Bulls Inflicted the Highest Prevalence and Severity of Dog Bite Injuries

Smiling? Meh that's debatable. Not sure I see that. But... the teeth are very sharp. Just as OldZaskar stated.
    You seem soooo concerned about the 'ferocious' image of pit bulls. Yet you make the teeth all pointy, which is not at all what their teeth actually look like.

Has there been anyone on this (or the other forum) that said you have a good idea/design?
    I can definitely see the smiling in the face, if not maybe we can emphasize it more. Also maybe we can round off the teeth a little bit if it really is offending people. The whole point is that the cleat holds the pedal, no more no less.

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Yeah, it's just me. Pretty much everyone else thinks of pitbulls as cuddly little pups. I guess, when you Google "most hated", "most ferocious", "most dangerous" + "dogs", we should be seeing Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers... and not your smiling puppy.

For the record, this whole dynamic is damn entertaining. I've written questionnaires, moderated and watched consumer focus groups for Jeep, Nestle, Visa - scores of large CPG companies... interviewed product developers, CMOs and CEOs as we developed brands... I have yet to see anyone ignore feedback to the extent you do. It past confusing and sailed beyond funny about 10 pages ago. Keep going. It's a great break from work and I'm getting lots of funny quotes for talks/lectures.
    We've changed the whole design of the cleat based off of information gained from feedback from here and other sites. Right now our graphics guy is going to be sending me a color change on the boxes to see what red looks like based off of another post in this thread.

I'm editing this post, because as soon as I posted it my graphics guy had emailed me the new box.

Attached Images Attached Images

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I can definitely see the smiling in the face, if not maybe we can emphasize it more. Also maybe we can round off the teeth a little bit if it really is offending people. The whole point is that the cleat holds the pedal, no more no less.
    Offended? WTF? No one gives a $#it. If you want to make the teeth more ferocious than they really are.. go for it. But then don't go pretending pit bulls are gentle beasts.

Personally... I think your logo looks amateurish. And love the irony of a pedal that's supposed to be easy for beginners to use but is represented by a dog well known for having a grip that won't ever let go, even if you hit it with a baseball bat.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I'm curious as to why so much effort is put forth to try and convince "10 or 20 individuals" that this pedal design is just about the best. Would so few have a great impact on the future of this pedal? I do think there is more here than just asking for opinions. Just my thoughts. And I think I have read enough on Pitbull Pedals. Time to move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Offended? WTF? No one gives a $#it. If you want to make the teeth more ferocious than they really are.. go for it. But then don't go pretending pit bulls are gentle beasts.

Personally... I think your logo looks amateurish. And love the irony of a pedal that's supposed to be easy for beginners to use but is represented by a dog well known for having a grip that won't ever let go, even if you hit it with a baseball bat.
    I value your opinion.

gazing from the shadows
    Personally... I think your logo looks amateurish.
    So, it's very much on brand.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jonel33 View Post
    I'm curious as to why so much effort is put forth to try and convince "10 or 20 individuals" that this pedal design is just about the best. Would so few have a great impact on the future of this pedal? I do think there is more here than just asking for opinions. Just my thoughts. And I think I have read enough on Pitbull Pedals. Time to move on.
    Well then please do not read any more of my posts if they upset you in any way. But feel free to respond if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    So, it's very much on brand.
    Obviously that is your opinion but we are just trying to keep everything as simple as possible. There are only a few moving parts on the pedal system and trying to make the box and instructions the least complicated as possible in order to keep our costs as low as possible. The box should not sell the product, the quality of the pedal should sell itself.

Again we are not trying to dominate the pedal industry. We have just come up with what we think is a great idea and are just moving forward with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    As someone who has worked in the packaging design industry for many years, I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at. Is this a sleeve that goes over another inner box?

I also would like to see the inside of the box with the pedals in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    The box should not sell the product, the quality of the pedal should sell itself.
    This right here is what is going to kill your product. You are a no name competing against giants like Look, Time, Shimano, and Speedplay. Your packaging fail to really show your product, when I see Pitbull I immediately think of an aggressively designed flat pedal, and, in general, your packaging is just easy to look past. Nothing about it grabs your attention. It looks like the old, generic, black and white boxes.

You should really look at hiring a reputable marketing firm to design your logo and packaging for you. Rushing to market in this current state is foolish.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gazing from the shadows
    Obviously that is your opinion but we are just trying to keep everything as simple as possible.
    That's not my opinion of your product, that's my opinion of your actions on this board to date in toto. Amateur. A pro would have ignored that bait, especially as it was not directed at them. If I hired someone to get feedback on a product, and they generated what you have generated here, I would fire them for being unprofessional. Simple as that.

Even if I thought your product good (which I don't), I would expect you to fail based on your writing here, your responses to others, your seeming need to keep conflicts going, etc.

My opinion, sure. But negative opinions of your product and behavior are pretty common on this board. Your supporters and defenders are few and far between. Your actions play a large part in that.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Chimpanzees have deadly bites. Maybe call the pedals ChimpChomps, to avoid the whole offputting pitbull thing.

Snapping turtles also have a strong bite, and are known to not let go of your toe unless you cut off their heads. So how about TurtleToeSnappers?

Russian Troll Farmer
    For the record, this whole dynamic is damn entertaining. I've written questionnaires, moderated and watched consumer focus groups for Jeep, Nestle, Visa - scores of large CPG companies... interviewed product developers, CMOs and CEOs as we developed brands... I have yet to see anyone ignore feedback to the extent you do. It past confusing and sailed beyond funny about 10 pages ago. Keep going. It's a great break from work and I'm getting lots of funny quotes for talks/lectures.
    That's because you are looking at this as a logical business decision. It's not. I figured out weeks ago that this isn't "business" at all, it's actually a form of "performance art". The poster is trolling us for responses to his character, who he has developed as commentary on narcissistic blowhards in society in general, perhaps even about Donald Trump in particular. It's so subtle that I didn't catch caricature at first.....

OK, now that the cat is out of the bag, time to move this thread to the 'politics only forum'.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

[REDACTED]
    I am probably one of the few people here that like the logo. Granted I think the product is of minimal value for me and am not about to try it, the minimalist logo matches the concept of the product. And we use far too much plastic, so I like the cardboard box which even if not recycled, is biodegradable.

On pit bulls, all of the ones I have met have been gentle lovable dogs. They do have a bad reputation as they, as well as most terriers, were bred to have strong jaws in order to be rodent killers in the early days. Some people have trained to be vicious killers. I, for one, am more afraid of other terriers more so than pit bulls.

However, imagine a Labrador retriever logo or for that matter, some other silly friendly puppy. Do you really think that would sell regardless of the product? Pit bulls have the image of toughness even if not vicious. I'd rather have a tough pedal than a silly, stupid pedal.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    What planet do you live on? Justified or not, a pit bull is the stereotype of a vicious dog. You may be in love with the Pitbull name, but OldZaskar is spot on with his assessment. Your branding does not convey, in any way, the purported advantage of these pedals. There will not be one potential customer who thinks "Wow, Pitbull Pedals. I bet they're quick and easy to use!"
    Again this is just your opinion and if you don't have anything more to add positively, please don't add anymore to this thread and let it die out when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by chad.trent View Post
    As someone who has worked in the packaging design industry for many years, I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at. Is this a sleeve that goes over another inner box?

I also would like to see the inside of the box with the pedals in it.
    We're trying to spend the least on hype/decoration and let the pedals speak for themselves. We have a display cleat mounted to a lacquered piece of wood that would go in the stores that would accept our product. Hopefully they would have a box open in their display case also.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGump View Post
    This right here is what is going to kill your product. You are a no name competing against giants like Look, Time, Shimano, and Speedplay. Your packaging fail to really show your product, when I see Pitbull I immediately think of an aggressively designed flat pedal, and, in general, your packaging is just easy to look past. Nothing about it grabs your attention. It looks like the old, generic, black and white boxes.

You should really look at hiring a reputable marketing firm to design your logo and packaging for you. Rushing to market in this current state is foolish.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I do not feel this product will be bought on a whim, I think that a person would be going to a bike store to look for pedals and would see our display/open box and choose to buy our pedal over a different one. Maybe that is a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    That's not my opinion of your product, that's my opinion of your actions on this board to date in toto. Amateur. A pro would have ignored that bait, especially as it was not directed at them. If I hired someone to get feedback on a product, and they generated what you have generated here, I would fire them for being unprofessional. Simple as that.

Even if I thought your product good (which I don't), I would expect you to fail based on your writing here, your responses to others, your seeming need to keep conflicts going, etc.

My opinion, sure. But negative opinions of your product and behavior are pretty common on this board. Your supporters and defenders are few and far between. Your actions play a large part in that.
    You have spoken your peace and I accept that, goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Chimpanzees have deadly bites. Maybe call the pedals ChimpChomps, to avoid the whole offputting pitbull thing.

Snapping turtles also have a strong bite, and are known to not let go of your toe unless you cut off their heads. So how about TurtleToeSnappers?
    Truthfully we never gave it any consideration that our dog was vicious. In our drawing it appears to be smiling as it is holding our pedal. People will see what they want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    That's because you are looking at this as a logical business decision. It's not. I figured out weeks ago that this isn't "business" at all, it's actually a form of "performance art". The poster is trolling us for responses to his character, who he has developed as commentary on narcissistic blowhards in society in general, perhaps even about Donald Trump in particular. It's so subtle that I didn't catch caricature at first.....

OK, now that the cat is out of the bag, time to move this thread to the 'politics only forum'.....
    You are speaking over my head. It is true that we are just two amateurs trying to create something, no more or less. We are not trying to revolutionize the pedal industry we are just trying to get a small piece of the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am probably one of the few people here that like the logo. Granted I think the product is of minimal value for me and am not about to try it, the minimalist logo matches the concept of the product. And we use far too much plastic, so I like the cardboard box which even if not recycled, is biodegradable.

On pit bulls, all of the ones I have met have been gentle lovable dogs. They do have a bad reputation as they, as well as most terriers, were bred to have strong jaws in order to be rodent killers in the early days. Some people have trained to be vicious killers. I, for one, am more afraid of other terriers more so than pit bulls.

However, imagine a Labrador retriever logo or for that matter, some other silly friendly puppy. Do you really think that would sell regardless of the product? Pit bulls have the image of toughness even if not vicious. I'd rather have a tough pedal than a silly, stupid pedal.
    Time will tell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

I talked to the graphics guy and he took the sharp teeth away from our pit bull. What do you think? I think it looks silly. Also another poster had written asking for a red box, which I had the graphics guy whip up. I actually think that the red one looks pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I talked to the graphics guy and he took the sharp teeth away from our pit bull. What do you think? I think it looks silly.
    The teeth proportions are off a bit. But I think it looks better. It looks more like a substantial grip as opposed to super pointy teeth that look like they'll break off.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

gazing from the shadows
    Also another poster had written asking for a red box, which I had the graphics guy whip up. I actually think that the red one looks pretty good.
    Correction, I did not ASK for red.

I SUGGESTED red.

You seem to have a problem with changing what happens to fit the narrative you want to exist.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am probably one of the few people here that like the logo.
    Burn the witch!!

RoadBikeReview Member

Can numbers have opinions?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope. And the numbers are so vastly overwhelming.

More than 50% of all pit bulls in the USA are up for sale or adoption. (Merritt Clifton, 2019 Dog Breed Survey.)
    Most of the pit bulls offered for sale or adoption have been given up by their former owners. (Merritt Clifton, "Rescued" pit bulls now outnumber pit puppies.)
    Between 19% and 32% of all dogs taken to shelters are pit bulls. (Emily Weiss, Rising from the Pitt [19%]; Merritt Clifton, "Rescued" pit bulls now outnumber pit puppies [32%].)
    Pit bulls remain in shelters approximately three times as long as other breeds.
    Forty percent of pit bulls in shelters are euthanized every year. (Emily Weiss, Rising from the Pitt, ASPCAPro, https://www.aspcapro.org/blog/2017/05/19/rising-pit).

Pit bulls bite more humans than other breeds
    From February 2013 to present, Animal control and health departments in 19 U.S. states report that pit bulls are leading all breeds in biting incidents. The studies are summarized and linked at Dogsbite.org, Pit Bulls Lead "Bite" Counts Across U.S. Cities and Counties, http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/07/pit...across-us.html.

In the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, pit bulls killed or maimed 3,569 people in the USA and Canada. (Merritt Clifton, Dog Attack Deaths & Maimings, U.S. & Canada, 1982-2018 Log.)
    They killed over 80% of all Americans who are killed by dogs. (Colleen Lynn, 2015 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities, at http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2015.php.)
    In the 13-year period from 2005 to 2017, pit bulls killed 283 Americans. (Colleen Lynn, 12-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart and Colleen Lynn, 2017 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities.)
    In 2018, pit bulls killed 25 of the 34 Americans who died because of a dog attack. Eighteen of the pit bull victims were the pit bull's owner, a family member of the pit bull's owner, or a baby (not a member of the family) that the pit bull owner was watching. It can be safely assumed that pit bulls usually bite the same type of person they usually kill, namely their owners and the owner's family.

Pit bull bites are more deadly than those of other breeds
    Studies by health care providers establish that pit bull attacks are associated with higher median Injury Severity Scale scores, a higher number of hospital admissions, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death. (Bini, John K. MD; Cohn, Stephen M. MD; Acosta, Shirley M. RN, BSN; McFarland, Marilyn J. RN, MS; Muir, Mark T. MD; Michalek, Joel E. PhD, Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, Annals of Surgery: April 2011, vol. 253, iss. 4, pp. 791–797, cited at http://journals.lww.com/annalsofsurg...s_Dogs.23.aspx.)

The most recent study of dog bites, authored entirely by physicians, concludes that injuries from pit bulls are both more frequent and more severe. (Essig Jr., Garth F., et al., Dog Bite Injuries to the Face: Is There Risk with Breed Ownership? A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis, Int. J. of Ped. Otorhinolaryngology 117 (2019) 192-188; accessed 3/25/2019 at https://bit.ly/2HShg80.)

Pit bull owners are more likely to be irresponsible
    In nearly all of the cases in which Attorney Kenneth M. Phillips has been consulted, where a pit bull killed a person, the pit bull owners had no insurance and therefore the victim's family received no justice in the form of compensation.

Published, peer-reviewed studies in authoritative journals of psychology and forensic science establish that pit bulls owners as a whole -- statistically -- are more likely to be socially deviant, engage in crimes involving children, domestic violence, alchohol abuse, and violent crimes against other persons. (Jaclyn E. Barnes, Barbara W. Boat, Frank W. Putnam, Harold F. Dates, and Andrew R. Mahlman, Ownership of High-Risk ("Vicious") Dogs As a Marker for Deviant Behaviors

Pit bulls kill their owners, family members and babies more than half the time
    Of the 31 Americans killed by dogs in 2016, 23 were killed by pitbulls and their mixes, and 12 of those 23 victims were either the owner of the pitbull (4) or a member of the pitbull owner's family (8). (See details given by Colleen Lynn, http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2016.php.)

In 2017, of the 39 Americans killed by dogs, 29 were killed by pitbulls and their mixes, and 18 of those 29 victims were either the owner of the pitbull or a family member (including a relative). (See Colleen Lynn, https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2017.php.)

In 2018, 34 Americans were killed by dogs, 25 of the killer dogs were pit bulls, and 16 of the 25 pit bulls killed their owner or the owner's family member; the victims of two other fatal pit bull attacks were babies not a member of the pit bull owner's family that the pit bull owners were watching. (Phillips, Kenneth, Pit Bull Killings - 2018, https://bit.ly/2Wubi1j.)

Pit bulls also have been known to eat their owners. In 2019, when the police went in search for Freddie Mack (57, Johnson County), they could not find him, but they found bits of his bones and clothes in the excrement of his 15 pit bulls. (Sheriff: Missing North Texas man was eaten by his own dogs, Fox4News.com, July 10, 2019, https://bit.ly/2YR4BrD.)

Females are the most frequent victims in fatal pit bull attacks
    In 2018, 25 Americans were killed by pit bulls, and 19 of them were female adults or female children. (Phillips, Kenneth, Pit Bull Killings - 2018, https://bit.ly/2Wubi1j.)

Pit bulls kill more children than any other breed of dog
    In 2017, dogs killed 15 children out of the 39 total human fatalities. Pit bulls kllled 8 of the 15 youths. (See Colleen Lynn, https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2017.php.)

In 2018, dogs again killed 15 children, and pit bulls killed at least 9 of those 15 ("at least" because the authorities have concealed the breed of one of the dogs that killed a child.) (See Colleen Lynn, 2018 Dog Bite Fatalities and Phillips, Kenneth, Pit Bull Killings - 2018, https://bit.ly/2Wubi1j.)

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of other people's pets and animals
    In 2017, pit bulls killed 13,000 dogs, 5,000 cats and 20,000 horses and other farm animals. (See Merritt Clifton, 'Pit Bull Roulette' killed 38,000 other animals in 2017.) Having destroyed more than 90% of other animals killed by dogs, the breed became the number one killer of other people's pets, horses and farm animals.

Pit bulls engage in home invasions more often than any other dog
    Approximately once per month during 2015, 2016 and 2017, a pit bull has entered the home of a person not its owner for the purpose of killing or injuring people or pets. In addition to homes, the invaded premises have included apartments, schools and even a police station. There were 16 such incidents in 2015, 17 in 2016, and 11 in 2017, with the first recorded one in 1912. (See Safety Before Pit Bulldogs, Extreme Attacks: List of Invasion Attacks by Pit Bulls, at Safety Before Pit Bulldogs: Extreme Attacks: List of Invasion Attacks by Pit Bulls.)

Pit bull attacks (deaths and disfigurements) are on the rise
    Fatal and disfiguring attacks by pit bulls have risen 830% since 2007. (Merritt Clifton, Record 33 fatal pit bull attacks & 459 disfigurements in 2015, at http://www.animals24-7.org/2016/01/0...ments-in-2015/)

The pit bull attack cover-up is on the rise
    The authorities either unwittingly or purposely are engaging in a cover-up pertaining to pit bull violence. In the three decades from 1982 t0 2013, only 45 canine homicides or disfigurements were by dogs of an unidentified breed, but in 2014 there were 36 and in 2015 there were 78. (Merritt Clifton, Record 33 fatal pit bull attacks & 459 disfigurements in 2015, at http://www.animals24-7.org/2016/01/0...ments-in-2015/)

Breeding pit bulls adds to the pit bull problem
    Over 40% of the USA's pit bulls are homeless, according to the latest survey (Merritt Clifton, 2018 Dog Breed Survey: At Least 41% of U.S. Pit Bull Population Are Seeking Homes, at https://www.animals24-7.org/2018/06/...seeking-homes/). The percent of homeless pit bulls is probably over 50% because rescues and shelters falsely advertise two out of ten pit bulls as being some other breed. This means half or nearly half of the nation's pit bulls are seeking homes. Breeding pit bulls potentially adds to that number.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    This is our first design for our packaging. It's recycled cardboard and simple black and white identification labeling. Keeps it simple and inexpensive. Thumbs up or thumbs down? Or if anyone has any constructive suggestions we are open to that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Your branding does not convey, in any way, the purported advantage of these pedals.
    Again this is just your opinion and if you don't have anything more to add positively, please don't add anymore to this thread and let it die out when it does.
    BubbaGump was clearly correct in post #2:

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGump View Post
    I feel like we've been through this before, and no, you are not open to constructive criticism.
    If you don't want opinions, don't start a thread asking for opinions.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

As a long time dog owner I think the problem lies much more in bad owners than bad dog breeds. Bad owners probably have a self selection thing going on when they pick out a particular dog. Pit bulls are just more likely to get a bad owner than the other way around is my guess. Teach/encourage a dog to be mean and aggressive and that's what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    As a long time dog owner I think the problem lies much more in bad owners than bad dog breeds. Bad owners probably have a self selection thing going on when they pick out a particular dog. Pit bulls are just more likely to get a bad owner than the other way around is my guess. Teach/encourage a dog to be mean and aggressive and that's what you get.
    No doubt. But... it doesn't matter. The point of a brand asset - name, logo, color, imagery, etc. is to make a connection, establish an association... You know - Mustang = free spirit, speed; Amazon - discovery, limitless; Google - enormous... Some are a bit abstract - Nike - not many consumers knew that Nike was the Goddess of Victory... Some are very abstract - Who knew (or cared) that Starbuck was the firstmate on the Pequod... Ahab's boat... from Moby Dick.

But abstract is better than negative, like a the pit bull. Ask a 1,000 consumers - consumers of cycling products, not cigarettes, the National Enquirer and lottery tickets - and you'll hear "dangerous", "vicious", "attacks", "white trash", "wannabe gangsters... actual gangsters" "trailer parks"... You won't hear "safer", "quicker", "easier"

But, as Mr. Pitbull said... that's my opinion.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No doubt. But... it doesn't matter. The point of a brand asset - name, logo, color, imagery, etc. is to make a connection, establish an association... You know - Mustang = free spirit, speed; Amazon - discovery, limitless; Google - enormous... Some are a bit abstract - Nike - not many consumers knew that Nike was the Goddess of Victory... Some are very abstract - Who knew (or cared) that Starbuck was the firstmate on the Pequod... Ahab's boat... from Moby Dick.

But abstract is better than negative, like a the pit bull. Ask a 1,000 consumers - consumers of cycling products, not cigarettes, the National Enquirer and lottery tickets - and you'll hear "dangerous", "vicious", "attacks", "white trash", "wannabe gangsters... actual gangsters" "trailer parks"... You won't hear "safer", "quicker", "easier"

But, as Mr. Pitbull said... that's my opinion.
    Is the random pit bull out there that you encounter on the street more likely to bite you than other dog breeds. Probably so given the types of people who own them. But if you control for that, the breed itself is probably no more dangerous than any other.

I agree that its a silly name for a bike accessory. It has connotations of a pedal that just won't let go. As in what happens at a stop sign.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Is the random pit bull out there that you encounter on the street more likely to bite you than other dog breeds. Probably so given the types of people who own them. But if you control for that, the breed itself is probably no more dangerous than any other.
    If you assume BREEDERS have been breeding for aggression, think fighting dogs, there might be more to it.

I don't think pits are inherently a bad breed, since they were known as "nanny dogs" back in the day. Protective, but safe around kids.

Today is not then. And reality is irrelevant, pits have a bad reputation, and so a lot of people will start with a negative association. it's a stupid name for that reason for any product, unless it is something like MMA gloves.

Given the choice of name, the graphic works well.

I wonder what the board would say about naming a pedal "frogs".

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast