Pitbull pedal packaging design - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Pit Bull Pedals peddles pedals.
    And there ya have it. It was easy, right?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    "pedals"...
    Yep, corrected...realized the misspelling as I hit post while taking business call at the same time. didn't have chance until now, thanks chief!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that it is a little primitive, but if it shows a 5,000lb van rolling over it twice with no issues it should prove that the cleat is worthy.

worthy of what...?

trying to convey the 'quality' of your products in such an absurd manner is making you a laughing-stock here. is that really the desired outcome?

one would think that you'd cut your losses and refrain from embarrassing yourself further until you have something of actual substance to present to potential buyers.

the 'aw-shucks, just having fun' routine is beyond tired and only portrays your 'company' and products as jokes to be avoided in the marketplace.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    ...2.25" wide cleat ...
    Make that spindle .001 inch (thought experiment, so assume the same stiffness and that it won't break). You think the forces on the foot would be identical?

I don't.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It shows nothing. Absolutely nothing... other than your complete inability to understand strength of materials. It's quite scary that you're 'engineering' a product with this mindset.

What is 'non-quality' stainless steel?

STOP! Just stop. This is idiotic.
    Sorry, I just thought it was a good indicator of how strong the material is. I believe that most cleats are made of a molded plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    The pedals remind me of a broken pair of 1970ish welgo pedals missing the big clunky rubber pieces.
    Tried to look up what you are talking about to no luck. They do have the same feeling as some aerolite pedals I think back in the 70s, but we do the bugs worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I agree that it is a little primitive, but if it shows a 5,000lb van rolling over it twice with no issues it should prove that the cleat is worthy.

worthy of what...?

trying to convey the 'quality' of your products in such an absurd manner is making you a laughing-stock here. is that really the desired outcome?

one would think that you'd cut your losses and refrain from embarrassing yourself further until you have something of actual substance to present to potential buyers.

the 'aw-shucks, just having fun' routine is beyond tired and only portrays your 'company' and products as jokes to be avoided in the marketplace.
    I'm glad I was able to put a smile on your face, but a simple test of a car rolling over a product should show the every day person the high strength of the plastic I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Make that spindle .001 inch (thought experiment, so assume the same stiffness and that it won't break). You think the forces on the foot would be identical?

I don't.
    Not really for sure what you are saying as I'm not an engineer, and it sounds like you may be. We just have the human weight dispersed over the spindle & 2.25" nylon cleat. This is dispersed over a road bike shoe. Again with no hot spots.

[REDACTED]
    To answer your question as honest as possible we don't have a final cost determined for retail. There are many pedals out there that work perfectly fine that are inexpensive. We feel that our pedal belongs in the high end group of road bike pedals as they are stainless steel and we believe that they work the best and the most efficiently. We just want to be on the lower end of pricing on this type of pedal.
    Nice dance around my question. OK, let me rephrase this. What did you price your pedal at that you thought was too low?

Why am I reminded of this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730

In your pricing that you are bringing up right now it appears that I did not go back through Amazon and look up a particular type of pedal. What I was trying to state is that our pedals would be competitively priced ......
    Why do I always hear the word "competitive" when a salesman doesn't want to reveal an actual figure?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm glad I was able to put a smile on your face, but a simple test of a car rolling over a product should show the every day person the high strength of the plastic I would think.

it wasn't a smile, it was a smirk.

blithely ignoring critical comments about your product/business model and continuing to babble about silly 'test' results...always the mark of an astute businessman.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

gazing from the shadows
    Not really for sure what you are saying as I'm not an engineer, and it sounds like you may be.
    I am not an engineer. But having hit things with mallets, and having hit things with chisels, and being familiar with things like Newton's Cradle, I have some idea of how sharp forces travel through solids, and how smaller surface area concentrates those forces compared to a larger surface area.

Also, having ridden since the days of clips (with cleats), I know that smaller contact points on the pedal are associated with foot issues for riders. It is possible you have solved this problem, but given what you think is testing, and given your words on the board, probably not.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Pit Bull Pedals peddles pedals.
    Pit Bull Pedals peddles pedals to pedalers and pedal peddlers.

xxl
    I am not an engineer. But having hit things with mallets, and having hit things with chisels, and being familiar with things like Newton's Cradle, I have some idea of how sharp forces travel through solids, and how smaller surface area concentrates those forces compared to a larger surface area....
    C'mon, hoo; what would a humble cabinet-maker know about the forces applied when hitting mallets and chisels on solid surfaces?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nice dance around my question. OK, let me rephrase this. What did you price your pedal at that you thought was too low?
    Why am I reminded of this ad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730
    Why do I always hear the word "competitive" when a salesman doesn't want to reveal an actual figure?
    For the kickstarter only it was $45. That was for a set of pedals which will be chromemoly center axle with a stainless steel outer axle, three sets of cleats, and free shipping in the U.S. Once we thought about it a little more it just seemed way too low. If cleats are $15 or $20, shipping is whatever amount and high quality material in the pedals is used with all these factors we just think that $45 is too low.

That is a hysterical ad, well done.

We have never had these for sale as far as a retail price. Unfortunately we only had them under priced for the kickstarter to make it a great deal for any potential investor.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

it wasn't a smile, it was a smirk.

blithely ignoring critical comments about your product/business model and continuing to babble about silly 'test' results...always the mark of an astute businessman.
    OMG lighten up. I am a simple cabinet man that has come up with what we believe a wonderful idea on a bike pedal system. I don't have any formal degrees in marketing, we are just trying to get our point across in simple everyday terms.

I am not an engineer. But having hit things with mallets, and having hit things with chisels, and being familiar with things like Newton's Cradle, I have some idea of how sharp forces travel through solids, and how smaller surface area concentrates those forces compared to a larger surface area.

Also, having ridden since the days of clips (with cleats), I know that smaller contact points on the pedal are associated with foot issues for riders. It is possible you have solved this problem, but given what you think is testing, and given your words on the board, probably not.
    I'm sorry for your last few words in your statement, we are just trying to do our best to get our point across.

[REDACTED]
    For the kickstarter only it was $45. That was for a set of pedals which will be chromemoly center axle with a stainless steel outer axle, three sets of cleats, and free shipping in the U.S. Once we thought about it a little more it just seemed way too low. If cleats are $15 or $20, shipping is whatever amount and high quality material in the pedals is used with all these factors we just think that $45 is too low.
    $45 too low? Probably. Cheapos like me are unlikely to be enticed by your product anyway. Cleats are almost always included as part of the pedals, so not really a good idea to price them separately. I certainly wouldn't price the package over $100. Maybe $60-75.

OMG lighten up.

Come on! What do you expect from a guy with a shark as his avatar.

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    $45 too low? Probably. Cheapos like me are unlikely to be enticed by your product anyway. Cleats are almost always included as part of the pedals, so not really a good idea to price them separately. I certainly wouldn't price the package over $100. Maybe $60-75.

Come on! What do you expect from a guy with a shark as his avatar.

Yeah this package came with 3 sets of cleats for the kickstarter campaign only. We are definitely going to be less than $100, that is with chromemoly and stainless steel.

True, the shark is getting the same reputation as the pitbull pedals. Just a shark, just a dog. Right?

[REDACTED]
    Yeah this package came with 3 sets of cleats for the kickstarter campaign only. We are definitely going to be less than $100, that is with chromemoly and stainless steel.
    I'm not sure I understand. Why 3 sets of cleats for one set of pedals?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps they wear out fast.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-system/posts

$271 pledged of $35,000 goal
    7 backers

Funding Canceled
    Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on Nov 11 2019
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Well, considering he completely scrapped the design that he's rigorously tested these pedals with for a new material, he's got no idea how long they will be effective.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

xxl

Funding Canceled

A smart move.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

[REDACTED]
    Well to be fair, they are metal. Could they wear out any faster than the plastic 3-hole road cleats?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    How would anyone know after the less-than-extensive independent testing they've had done?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well to be fair, they are metal.
    No they're not. That was the whole reason for 'driving over them'.

I think maybe something has been missed along the way. We have been riding with the cleat machined out of a block of glass filled nylon and have had no issues. We do feel that it will be even stronger when all of the fibers line up in the molding process.
    To get the price down dramatically we are going to make the cleat with glass filled nylon.

Just in time for Halloween we have gotten our first sample run of the cleat. It still has to go into the secondary mold to mold on the softer material for nonslip and sound deadening.

Could they wear out any faster than the plastic 3-hole road cleats?
    Yes considering the surface area you walk on is considerable smaller, the load per square inch will be much larger.

[REDACTED]
    Oh yeah, that's right, cost cutting. Sorry, not for me then. I only ride pedals which use metal cleats. Good ol' reliable Shimano SPD's. I wear shoes out faster than I wear cleats out.

Yes considering the surface area you walk on is considerable smaller, the load per square inch will be much larger.
    I can't count how many worn out plastic left road cleats riders have shown me. They wear out from clipping in and out.

Russian Troll Farmer

7 backers

Funding Canceled
    And, so ends the saga......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    It was just as a gift to make the package even more bang for your buck.

Has nothing to do with wearing out, we were just trying to make a sweet deal for any potential backer.

7 backers

Funding Canceled
    Yeah I talked to my graphics guy yesterday and we decided to pull the kickstarter down. When we went into this venture we knew there was a 70% failure rate with kickstarter. So we tried to make the deal exceptionally good. I think that people remembered the old aerolite pedals and a couple different ones that look similar to ours that were no good as we worked out the issues in ours. With the added cleats it is like its too good to be true, so it must be junk. Oh well, we gave it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGump View Post
    Well, considering he completely scrapped the design that he's rigorously tested these pedals with for a new material, he's got no idea how long they will be effective.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    As far as down to the day you are correct, they are a typical glass filled nylon with a yellow non slip tip across the entire surface. Basically just like all other cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    A smart move.

Well to be fair, they are metal. Could they wear out any faster than the plastic 3-hole road cleats?
    Yes, on our website throughout time there were metal cleats. But the final product that we are going with is glass filled nylon. Like basically all other standard cleats

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How would anyone know after the less-than-extensive independent testing they've had done?
    These cleats like I have mentioned are like any other plastic cleat. They all have about the same life expectancy.

The axle is riding across the 2.25" nylon cleat on top of a hardened sole road bike shoe. I think that the weight would be evenly dispersed.

Oh yeah, that's right, cost cutting. Sorry, not for me then. I only ride pedals which use metal cleats. Good ol' reliable Shimano SPD's. I wear shoes out faster than I wear cleats out.

I can't count how many worn out plastic left road cleats riders have shown me. They wear out from clipping in and out.
    The plastic cleats are meant to be an inexpensive and disposable item. But unless you are dragging your feet across the asphalt they should last for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    And, so ends the saga......
    The saga is just beginning. We just gave kickstarter a try knowing that there is a typical 70% failure rate on the crowdsourcing pages. So keep your keyboard handy as I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about throughout the upcoming months.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I think that people remembered the old aerolite pedals and a couple different ones that look similar to ours that were no good as we worked out the issues in ours. With the added cleats it is like its too good to be true, so it must be junk.
    That's what you wish to believe.
    Or perhaps.... the people on kickstarter see the same things as the overwhelming amount of people here and other sites who have pointed out all the issues with your design.

These cleats like I have mentioned are like any other plastic cleat. They all have about the same life expectancy.
    No they don't. And yours is not the same. The surface area which you walk on/push off with is smaller. It will wear faster.

The axle is riding across the 2.25" nylon cleat on top of a hardened sole road bike shoe. I think that the weight would be evenly dispersed.
    You need to stop 'thinking'. This has nothing to do with the axle. As I said "the surface area you walk on is considerable smaller, the load per square inch will be much larger.". This is very simple math (like 4th grade).

The plastic cleats are meant to be an inexpensive and disposable item. But unless you are dragging your feet across the asphalt they should last for a long time.
    'Should'? Of course you have no real data.

How does someone know when your cleat is worn and should be replaced?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast