Please help with clicking sound

Apr 2004

Please help with clicking sound

Hi All--

I'm noticing a strange clicking sound when I stand up on my pedals that seem to occur when my weight shifts down on the pedal. I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes, but I believe it's coming from the gear crank area. I've looked it over, but just can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. Any suggestions of what it could be or what I could do to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.

If I only knew...
    Jun 2006
    You could have a loose bottom bracket, also check that your cranks are tourqed on correctly. All that being said sounds travel around a bike frame so what you think is your B.B. crank area could be coming from another area of the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Could be several things

Noises like that can be hard to track down. Could be a loose bottom bracket, but it might be more simple. The bolts that hold the crank arm to the chainwheel can do it. Pull each one, clean it, apply a thin layer of grease to the threads and tighten it back in. Also could be a pedal -- same thing -- make sure they're tight to the crank arm.

It could be coming from somewhere unexpected, such as the connection between the stem and handlebar or the seatpost clamp. Those spots take some stress when you are cranking hard, and it can be tricky to tell just where the sound is coming from. Never hurts to just work your way through those contact points, remove, clean, lube and re-install. Eliminate some of the simple ones before going after the bottom bracket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    If you have access to another set of pedals, switch out to those to make sure it's not a pedal. Pedals are about the easiest thing to check so I'd start there. Also check seat-seatpost area like mayday said by standing up while pedaling to see if that eliminates the noise. If you can't figure it out just ride wearing an ipod! godd luck.

twinkles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I had a clicking noise that I was sure originated from the BB. To my surprise, it was the quick release skewers. I have had both the front and rear quick release connections become noisy. Lube up the quick release interface flats and crank them.

Good Luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    May also be the magnet on your front wheel hitting the speed sensor, which often occurs when one stands up as they are putting more torque on front wheel.

As others have said, could be coming from any number of places. Just take time and observe.

It only hurts if you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth
    May also be the magnet on your front wheel hitting the speed sensor, which often occurs when one stands up as they are putting more torque on front wheel.

As others have said, could be coming from any number of places. Just take time and observe.
    that happened to me yesterday, could not figure it out, new bike and all....... finally figured out the magnet was hitting the Wireless sensor.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird
    Hi All--

I'm noticing a strange clicking sound when I stand up on my pedals that seem to occur when my weight shifts down on the pedal. I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes, but I believe it's coming from the gear crank area. I've looked it over, but just can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. Any suggestions of what it could be or what I could do to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.

I fixed this problem 2 years ago when I took my bottom bracket out and cleaned it and regreased everything.

It came back last year.

I took everything apart this winter and regreased everything. Its still there!! ARGHH!!

I even retightened the pedal arms.

My next step is to swap out the pedals and see if it is in there.

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    I had a BB click when standing on the pedals that went away when I regreased my headset.

Also check the rear derailleur hanger (if you have one)

Noises are usually pretty hard to track down, be patient

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Here's the list

Quote Originally Posted by Mayday
    Noises like that can be hard to track down. Could be a loose bottom bracket, but it might be more simple. The bolts that hold the crank arm to the chainwheel can do it. Pull each one, clean it, apply a thin layer of grease to the threads and tighten it back in. Also could be a pedal -- same thing -- make sure they're tight to the crank arm.

It could be coming from somewhere unexpected, such as the connection between the stem and handlebar or the seatpost clamp. Those spots take some stress when you are cranking hard, and it can be tricky to tell just where the sound is coming from. Never hurts to just work your way through those contact points, remove, clean, lube and re-install. Eliminate some of the simple ones before going after the bottom bracket.
    It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

RoadBikeReview Member

Just fixed that problem...

Others above have mentioned "loose" bottom bracket. Chances are it isn't loose but pulling it out and cleaning and greasing it and re-installing could correct your annoying noise.

Anyway I had a little ticking noise that had been driving me nuts for a while. I pulled my cranks, pulled the bottom bracket and scrubbed the internal threads of the BB shell and the threads on the bottom bracket with a toothbrush until they were SANITARY. Before I installed the BB I coated both internal threads and BB threads with anti-seizing compound and then wrapped the BB threads with Teflon tape before I threaded them in and torqued to 40ft lbs. I coated the splines of the BB spindle with grease and torqued the crank bolts to 30ft lbs...No more noise!

It's tough to troubleshoot a noise like you're talking about, it could be a lot of things. I had a full suspension MTB that was making a creaking noise that was driving me crazy. I did the clean/grease BB treatment as I described above and that didn't quiet the noise. I ended up re-seating the rear wheel in the drop outs to quiet the creak that time.