• Spin Class at the Gym

3 5.36%
  • Generic Indoor Trainer

30 53.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    ...traineroad is a good option. It forces you to pay attention to the changes in effort and that surprisingly makes it less boring.
    Yep for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...That said, if I were doing serious training I still think traineroad is a good option. It forces you to pay attention to the changes in effort and that surprisingly makes it less boring.
    I heard from friends that Zwift is much better. Your comment on trainerroad is exactly how I feel about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jspharmd View Post
    I heard from friends that Zwift is much better. Your comment on trainerroad is exactly how I feel about it.
    Zwift does have training plans but not nearly as extensive as Traineroad. My goal for the winter is just not to lose to much fitness and not despise the trainer so Zwift works well for that.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Elite Drivo watching Netflix. I was using Zwift but quit a little over a year ago when the price was about to go up - didn't really add any value for me over watching Netflix during intervals.
    I tried this years ago, but it didn't work for me. 30 minutes into the show, I realized I hadn't been pedaling in at least 15! I'd get engaged in the show and forget to pedal. Used to use Spinerval, CTS, and Sufferfest videos to keep me honest before I found smart trainers and Zwift.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    I don't have a Peloton because I don't have a solarium or conservatory to put it in. Zwift makes indoor cycling a lot more tolerable and its helped my maintain some level of fitness over the winter
    That is the problem with all of these turbo trainers. Firstly they are so boring that riding them for more than an hour is impossible. Secondly, they really do not provide enough resistance in any case for you to maintain any fitness other than meager over the winter.

I have a brother who went out on ride in the spring and coming back was in the driveway in front of his condo and let his mind wander just as he hit a speed bump and went down. Now he won't ride bikes unless I really harangue him instead riding a trainer an hour a day.

The result is that although he is 15 years younger than me and built very strong like our father (and 5'8" tall like my father as well) He can barely make it through a metric.

I would be willing to bet these computerized trainers with someone working you out are pretty much here to stay. But I don't give them any more credit than the old turbo trainers where you'd turn on appropriate workout music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kunich View Post
    That is the problem with all of these turbo trainers. Firstly they are so boring that riding them for more than an hour is impossible. Secondly, they really do not provide enough resistance in any case for you to maintain any fitness other than meager over the winter...

I would be willing to bet these computerized trainers with someone working you out are pretty much here to stay. But I don't give them any more credit than the old turbo trainers where you'd turn on appropriate workout music.
    I had a similar opinion about using indoor trainers until I started using TrainerRoad? Have you tried TrainerRoad?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    , they really do not provide enough resistance in any case for you to maintain any fitness other than meager over the winter..
    I think you may be basing your opinion on old data. Current smart trainers provide a great deal of resistance. The better ones can simulate grades of 20% or more

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I had a similar opinion about using indoor trainers until I started using TrainerRoad? Have you tried TrainerRoad?
    No, but what can they add that a normal trainer can't ? I use my gravel bike with a 32 mm rear tires and turned up all the way you can't pedal it in anything higher than low gear. That doesn't change the fact that it is boring as hell and some video chump doesn't improve that..

I should also add that paying more than $2,000 for something that takes up so much room is probably beyond most people.
    Last edited by Tom Kunich; 12-19-2019 at 04:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    I can ride here most of the year around unless we have a particularly rainy year. And we have a route with 18% for a quarter mile. How long can you climb 20%? The only 24% and 20% grades I've seen are at most a hundred meters or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    That is the problem with all of these turbo trainers... they really do not provide enough resistance in any case for you to maintain any fitness other than meager over the winter.
    I use my gravel bike with a 32 mm rear tires and turned up all the way you can't pedal it in anything higher than low gear.
    So, which is it? Do turbo trainers not provide enough resistance, or do they have so much you can't get out of your lowest gear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    No, but what can they add that a normal trainer can't ?...
    TrainerRoad is a training program (app) synced to your trainer. The structured training programs are more than you just sitting on a trainer and pedaling mindlessly; you have to put in some work. This keeps things interesting and may motivate you to get on the trainer. The app has so many training rides (and specific training programs) to choose from and that makes riding on a trainer much more interesting, unlike just getting on a trainer and pedaling mindlessly while watching tv or something. You can even load the training workouts to your cycling computer and do the training ride outside.

Check it out.

https://www.trainerroad.com
    Last edited by Methodical; 12-19-2019 at 08:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I can ride here most of the year around unless we have a particularly rainy year. And we have a route with 18% for a quarter mile. How long can you climb 20%? The only 24% and 20% grades I've seen are at most a hundred meters or so.

I can't climb anything that steep. I was responding to your assertion that "do not provide enough resistance in any case for you to maintain any fitness"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    So, which is it? Do turbo trainers not provide enough resistance, or do they have so much you can't get out of your lowest gear?
    I suppose I could clarify that but since you've shown that your entire reason for being here is to be able to catch errors like that I won't bother. Time for you to go play in the sandbox anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    TrainerRoad is a training program (app) synced to your trainer. The structured training programs are more than you just sitting on a trainer and pedaling mindlessly; you have to put in some work. This keeps things interesting and may motivate you to get on the trainer. The app has so many training rides (and specific training programs) to choose from and that makes riding on a trainer much more interesting, unlike just getting on a trainer and pedaling mindlessly while watching tv or something. You can even load the training workouts to your cycling computer and do the training ride outside.

Check it out.

https://www.trainerroad.com
    I can understand people who live in really bad weather areas using trainers, but my Cycle Ops rarely sees use unless we have really long periods of rain and it takes up too much room. I picked it up from a guy for $30 because it didn't seem to work well. And with 25 mm tires on my bike it didn't. I guess the rollers had been polished smooth. When I put my gravel bike on it with 32 mm tires it was an entirely different story.

But I own a home with a double car garage and have forced my wife to park in the driveway since this is an older home and the "double car" didn't actually mean that. With my various workbenches and all of my tools There's barely room for my car and my 7 bikes.

IF you have room to set up a $2,000 exercise cycle and you've got the bucks and the weather is bad in the winter I see a real use for it. But it isn't a bicycle and regardless of what my brother says about how great they work he was asking me if we were there yet on a metric. And I practically had to force him to go to the finish line instead of going straight to the car. And he uses a trainer every single day.

Doing an hour on a trainer is hard. But doing 100K is a hell of a lot longer in the saddle and requires far more attention.

Funny aside - I went on the Tour de Fuzz which is a century mostly for cops. I was riding along and caught up with this Indian on an MTB. He was barely slower than me and it is my practice not to pass people like this and make them think they're inadequate. After all, this guy must have been pushing out 400 watts to my 200. So he was obviously a cop because they ALWAYS have to be better than anyone else. And indeed at that power output he was. We were only about 10 miles from the finish and he blew up big time so I passed and kept going so as not to make a big deal out of it. Thee were 2200 people on that ride and when I went across the line they told me I was 182nd and I didn't see a single person out there that wasn't faster than me. They just stopped more often and longer.

This is the sort of thing that occurs from riding a trainer - you might get stronger but you don't obtain endurance.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I suppose I could clarify that but since you've shown that your entire reason for being here is to be able to catch errors like that I won't bother.
    You won't clarify because you can't. You're just showing you really don't know what you're talking about.

I suppose you need more than 1,000w to get 'enough resistance' to maintain your superior fitness.

Do you even race bro?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    But I own a home with a double car garage and have forced my wife to park in the driveway since this is an older home and the "double car" didn't actually mean that. With my various workbenches and all of my tools There's barely room for my car and my 7 bikes.
    Geez dude, be a gentleman and let your wife park in the garage. Sounds like your crap is occupying half of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Geez dude, be a gentleman and let your wife park in the garage. Sounds like your crap is occupying half of it.
    My Wife is a hoarder. Give her an inch and she will fill it with useless crap from floor to ceiling. Being from a military background I was always neat and it is so hard on me that I'm not about to give any more space. She has already installed and filled shelves all over the garage. The spare bedroom is literally filled from floor to ceiling with useless junk. What used to be the master bedroom of the house has barely enough space to squeeze into the room. Tell me about being a gentleman.

Banned Sock Puppet
    My Wife is a hoarder. Give her an inch and she will fill it with useless crap from floor to ceiling. Being from a military background I was always neat and it is so hard on me that I'm not about to give any more space. She has already installed and filled shelves all over the garage. The spare bedroom is literally filled from floor to ceiling with useless junk. What used to be the master bedroom of the house has barely enough space to squeeze into the room. Tell me about being a gentleman.
    Be careful or you could end up like these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

I suppose I could clarify that but since you've shown that your entire reason for being here is to be able to catch errors like that I won't bother. Time for you to go play in the sandbox anyway.
    Don't ever complain about insults again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Time for you to go play in the sandbox anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Don't ever complain about insults again.
    To be honest, it's not even an insult. My sandbox measures 180' x 180' and contains 600,000 lbs. of sand.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    To be honest, it's not even an insult. My sandbox measures 180' x 180' and contains 600,000 lbs. of sand.
    Well I guess that beats hard clay or rocks, LOL!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I can understand people who live in really bad weather areas using trainers...

Like you, I was a indoor trainer hater, too, but TR has helped. I also prefer to ride outside, but during this time of the year, it's very limited. The cold weather doesn't stop me from riding outside, but the rain, snow and early darkness does. TR allows me to continue riding and keeping by cycling legs and get better, too.

IF you have room to set up a $2,000 exercise cycle and you've got the bucks...

That was the one thing I frowned upon, too, were those high priced machines. I purchased the wheel on trainer and use one of my 2 bikes, so no $2k for me.

Doing an hour on a trainer is hard. But doing 100K is a hell of a lot longer in the saddle and requires far more attention...

Funny aside - I went on the Tour de Fuzz which is a century mostly for cops. I was riding along and caught up with this Indian on an MTB. He was barely slower than me and it is my practice not to pass people like this and make them think they're inadequate. After all, this guy must have been pushing out 400 watts to my 200. So he was obviously a cop because they ALWAYS have to be better than anyone else. And indeed at that power output he was. We were only about 10 miles from the finish and he blew up big time so I passed and kept going so as not to make a big deal out of it. Thee were 2200 people on that ride and when I went across the line they told me I was 182nd and I didn't see a single person out there that wasn't faster than me. They just stopped more often and longer.

This is the sort of thing that occurs from riding a trainer - you might get stronger but you don't obtain endurance.

That was the one rub I always had about indoor trainers is that it's not the same as outdoor riding and can never mimmick the various terrains, but much better than not riding at all.

Also, if the rider doesn't train for endurance they will suffer the same no matter riding on the trainer or outdoors.
    In the end TR is helping me with structured training during a time of the year where I may get one ride in a week (only on the weekend), if the weather and life cooperates. Now, I can ride anytime of the day I choose, regardless of the weather or life events. This is better than the alternative, which is no rides at all. If you live in a climate that doesn't limit your rides, then trainers may not suite you.

wut?
    I have a hybrid type "dumb trainer". It looks like this: Attachment 326599

I have a bar mount for my tablet and I watch GCN workout videos and do other interval workouts with it. I have a PowerMeter, and this works great for me! It is the only way I do recovery rides anymore.
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I just got a saris H3 after the first of the year. I am starting with Rouvy and will probably stay with it once my free trial ends. I am still sorting out this smart trainer thing. I put a 11-28 cassette on and any grade of 5% almost grinds me to a halt (I am very much at beginner level in fitness at the moment). Wondering if a 11-34 may be worth it to ride more than "flat" routes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
    I just got a saris H3 after the first of the year. I am starting with Rouvy and will probably stay with it once my free trial ends. I am still sorting out this smart trainer thing. I put a 11-28 cassette on and any grade of 5% almost grinds me to a halt (I am very much at beginner level in fitness at the moment). Wondering if a 11-34 may be worth it to ride more than "flat" routes.
    I believe Rouvy allows you to dial back the resistance on climbs. They would be far easier that replacing your cassette

Frog Whisperer
    I dunno, I ride my track bike on the rollers 5 or 6 days a week for 45 minutes per, I do intervals, 1 minute at cadence around 100, then 2 easy, say, around 85. I built a resistance unit on it using some rare earth magnets and pvc stock. (Faraday principal). I have a 60 watt per channel Onkyo and a pair of Bose 301 foot away from me on either side. I have wahoo android app picking up the ant speed, cadence and heartrate. And essentially I spend 45 minutes beating myself up and playing with the numbers. For reference, I have zero issues with tire wear. I hit the roads in the spring and think nothing of riding 40 or 50 miles first week out.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123