• Spin Class at the Gym

3 7.14%
  • Generic Indoor Trainer

20 47.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

POLL: Indoor Training

What do you use for indoor training? I posted this poll because Peloton was in the news today after it's IPO. It doesn't seem to be well received by the market. I suspect it will go the way of other trendy fitness related companies, like FitBit and GoPro. Just curious what all you "real cyclists" use.
    Last edited by AlanE; 09-26-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I don't have a Peloton because I don't have a solarium or conservatory to put it in. Zwift makes indoor cycling a lot more tolerable and its helped my maintain some level of fitness over the winter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I use Modelo Especial, you don't have that as an option.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Rollers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I have a Wahoo Kickr (2018) and a dedicated trainer bike and ride in Zwift. I've been in Zwift since Beta, and I find every year that I'm spending more time on the trainer and less time outside.

Combination of reasons, but getting hit by a car (and the long term injuries), and so many close calls since then have kinda put me of 'sharing the road'.

Most of my outside miles are my work commute, which is 32 miles round trip, almost all of them on paved trails (i.e. no cars).

Zwift has pretty much everything I need for an indoor ride service. I can do friendly social group rides, solo JRA, solo workouts, group workouts, and even the odd race. There are event's 24x7 starting every few minutes.

It's easy to just throw on some bibs and jump on the bike for an hour or two and get a good workout in. No worries about weather or darkness, or getting killed by an inattentive driver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Elite Drivo watching Netflix. I was using Zwift but quit a little over a year ago when the price was about to go up - didn't really add any value for me over watching Netflix during intervals.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    ... Peloton was in the news today after it's IPO. It doesn't seem to be well received by the market. I suspect it will go the way of other trendy fitness related companies, like FitBit and GoPro.
    I agree with your assessment. Fitness markets are so trendy and fleeting. There's no money to be made here by investors.

I also don't think your poll will accurately reflect the interest in Peloton. I believe cyclists who participate in this forum are of a different demographic than the typical Peloton customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    rollers...

rarely use them tho, only had 4 indoor sessions this year since there was almost no winter.

Peloton? ah, hell no...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

I love to climb!
    Dedicated trainer bike on a Neo with Zwift. Probably won't be on it for another closeout months, though. I use it pretty heavy January and February, though.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Do you you use 12 ounce or 16 ounce training bottles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Currently using an Elite Fluid trainer (wheel on style) and will soon be upgrading to a CycleOps Hammer direct drive trainer. I also use TrainerRoad for structured indoor training, the workouts are killer and have really helped my performance on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Rollers
    Yup. Builds skills as well as maintains fitness. I can ride for miles staying on the white line. Other riders in the group appreciate someone who can ride in a straight line with a smooth cadence.

Good sound system, a cool/cold room, a reading stand, and lots of fans. I did close to 90 one-hour sessions last winter. Caught up on all my reading and hit the road running in the spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Yup. Builds skills as well as maintains fitness. I can ride for miles staying on the white line. Other riders in the group appreciate someone who can ride in a straight line with a smooth cadence.
    I'm sure rollers help with this, but I get complimented for the same thing quite often (holding a rock-steady line when in front of a group).

I haven't ridden rollers since I used them for warm-up at Track Racing events way back in the mid to late 80s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    There are a lot of "Smart Trainer' options missing from the Poll. Zwift isn't the only application that takes advantage of smart trainers.

Trainer Road, Sufferfest, Fulgaz, Rouvy, Kinomap, BKool, Road Grand Tours, VirtuGo, CVRCade, and TACX has something as well. I'm sure there are probably others I'm not aware of.

https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/to...-for-2019-7726

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I don't think Peloton is marketed at actual cyclist, it's targeted more towards spin-class people who may never actually ride a real bike outdoors.

I personally would never by a bike like the Peloton as I don't like it when electronic gizmos are built-into an expensive piece of hardware. Technology changes too quickly and all those Peloton bikes will be on Craigslist in a few years when the computer part gets out-of-date.

For example, how many of you have cars with built-in GPS apps that are way out of date and pretty much worthless? (Heck, the entire radio is probably out of date and worthless.) The car is still good, but the radio and related software isn't replaceable and worthless. It would be nice if the auto industry allowed us to upgrade the electronics w/o having to buy a new car, but that'll never happen... same with the Peleton bike.

I like my Wahoo Kickr using Zwift on my laptop because the Kickr (and most smart trainers) don't really have a lot of electronics in them. As long as you have a device that communicate with it via Bluetooth or ANT+, you can use the trainer. The electronics that will go extinct are in my laptop which I'll upgrade for other reasons, but will still be able to use my Kickr.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    LOL..

Attached Images Attached Images

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I don't think Peloton is marketed at actual cyclist, it's targeted more towards spin-class people who may never actually ride a real bike outdoors.

I personally would never by a bike like the Peloton as I don't like it when electronic gizmos are built-into an expensive piece of hardware. Technology changes too quickly and all those Peloton bikes will be on Craigslist in a few years when the computer part gets out-of-date.

For example, how many of you have cars with built-in GPS apps that are way out of date and pretty much worthless? (Heck, the entire radio is probably out of date and worthless.) The car is still good, but the radio and related software isn't replaceable and worthless. It would be nice if the auto industry allowed us to upgrade the electronics w/o having to buy a new car, but that'll never happen... same with the Peleton bike.

I like my Wahoo Kickr using Zwift on my laptop because the Kickr (and most smart trainers) don't really have a lot of electronics in them. As long as you have a device that communicate with it via Bluetooth or ANT+, you can use the trainer. The electronics that will go extinct are in my laptop which I'll upgrade for other reasons, but will still be able to use my Kickr.
    I can update the GPS in my 2011 Acura MDX for $200 using a CD they send you. I'm just to cheap to pay for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That poll sucks. Left out rollers which also help get you to pedal proper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    That poll sucks. Left out rollers which also help get you to pedal proper.
    Is there really a proper or better way to pedal a bicycle? And Iím just grabbing your post for convenience NV, I mean no snark whatsoever.... it just seems like turning cranks is turning cranks. Maybe a new cyclist is less efficient? But even that, I donít know, it seems like you use the hardest gear you can turn at 90-100 rpm and thatís all there is to it. Now, bike handling, thatís another story. I always feel like my bike handling has suffered some when I start back outside in the spring after the trainer time. I e never used rollers, but I am considering trying them out if I can find a decent buy.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Rub it............
    I use a Wahoo Kickr with Zwift. Easy to use and I can ride in any weather. I use a trainer dedicated secondary wheel/tire/cassette.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I too did ~90 1 hour sessions on the rollers last year, and entered this last spring in the best cycling shape of my life. In fact, I lost fitness when I started riding outside, which was crazy. (Until i could start doing high altitude mountain biking and a century or two)
    Watched every episode of Narcos, Narcos Mexico, and breaking Bad.

What the what???
    I was on rollers but it ate tires. Now I have a generic spin bike ($200 as opposed to Peloton's $2000) and I either watch training videos on YouTube or racing videos.

It's not optimal, but as rideit said, I start my "season" outdoors (late April/early May) in much better shape than when I was just a couch potato.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I was on rollers but it ate tires. .
    You gotta get the roller tires, Conti makes some that are ~$25. You only need them on the rear.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You gotta get the roller tires, Conti makes some that are ~$25. You only need them on the rear.
    Yeah. It's odd. As I understood it, rollers weren't supposed to be as tough on tires as a trainer. But when I rode rollers, though, I quickly went through every old tire I had in the garage and I didn't want to keep feeding the beast. So, I did some research and found a good stationary bike. Belt driven, nice sized flywheel, whisper quiet and there's no maintenance and nothing to replace. Obviously, it's not the same as getting out on the road, but it gets the job done when it's stormy or -20 with a headwind...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Giant Tempo spin bike
    Giant Magnetron magnetic trainer
    CycleOps wind trainer

Headphones plugged in to my tablet
    Giant TCR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast