Pricing a Wheel Set I'm replacing - Dawes SST
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019

Pricing a Wheel Set I'm replacing - Dawes SST

Hello all! I'm new here, and I'm wondering what I should price a brand new wheel set I'm replacing. I have the following setup:

Dawes SST from Bikesdirect
    Upgraded the Wheel Set to a s3x Fixed Gear

Once the LBS finishes the upgrade, I'll have the previous Wheel Set with Flip Flop Hub and Tires that was used less than 3 weeks, only about 20 miles total.

Those are the following:

Formula High Flange Alloy, 32H, Rubber Contact Sealed Ball Bearing Nutted, Flip Flop (comes with freewheel)

16T Freewheel (1/2*1/8)
    Alex R500 or Weinmann ZAC1800 (no choice), 32H, Double Wall w/ CNC Sidewalls
    Kenda K176 or K152, 700 X 25 or 28c (no choice)

I realize the above shows two options on Wheels and Tires, I dropped my bike off at the LBS so I can't see exactly what they are. From that info, any idea what I might be able to sell the spare Wheel Set for? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Check Ebay to see if anyone else is selling a similar set to gauge or google to see if someone is selling a set.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Get yourself off to a good start here by posting in the proper section:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/

The entire bike was $220.00? You're not going to get much for the wheels.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keep 'em as a spare set, you won't be out of commission if you wreck a wheel.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Keep 'em as a spare set, you won't be out of commission if you wreck a wheel.
    I would concur with this. The wheelset you are replacing is very entry level. You could possibly put them up on auction on eBay, but I doubt you would get more than $50, more like $25, and then shipping would make the sale almost a wash.

CX can be heavy handed, but he is right about posting in the correct section:

At least read the stickies over in that section which are very informative.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would concur with this. The wheelset you are replacing is very entry level. You could possibly put them up on auction on eBay, but I doubt you would get more than $50, more like $25, and then shipping would make the sale almost a wash.

CX can be heavy handed, but he is right about posting in the correct section:

At least read the stickies over in that section which are very informative.
    Thanks Lombard and CX. No worries, I'm new, I'll take the help. I think I have my answers but I'll post something there as well.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbiker View Post
    Thanks Lombard and CX. No worries, I'm new, I'll take the help. I think I have my answers but I'll post something there as well.
    You're welcome, Michiganbiker! And welcome!

About subforums, "Wheels & Tires", "Components & Wrenching" and "Bike Frames & Forks" have some good info and are good places to post specific bike related questions that aren't general. However, since the forums aren't as active as they used to be, some subforums won't even be noticed. I wouldn't bother posting in "Beginners" and the Regional Rides and Manufacturer sections are all but dead.

But "Wheels & Tires" is a good place to check out. As I said, there are some very informative stickies. Mike T. and DCGriz don't come around much anymore, but both of them have posted some good stuff there. They are both wheel builders by hobby, not for income and really know their stuff. It was these two guys that got me into wheel building when I hadn't imagined I would ever do this. Now I have the bug! Mike T. has a very informative website too.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein