Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    About all armor will do is prevent road rash. For more protection, you need crumple zones.

This is just too extreme for most people. Being more alert and riding defensively is still your best bet.

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I always keep a condom in my saddle bag.
    Didn't know you could catch an STD from a bike... well, perhaps you can from a Specialized.
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

No there aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by kreyszig666 View Post

Is there any relatively lightweight stuff out there that won't affect aerodynamics too much that could help?
    No there aren't.
    Yet.
    I have been working on convincing somebody doing them, but so far I had no luck.
    Last winter there has been an epidemic of hip fractures among the older local roadies.

Since very soon I will (am) be an older roadie, I have decided to try harder, but I rather open a dedicated thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I think Santini had some bibs with Dyneema woven in. I think that is mostly useful for preventing the worst of road rash. Hockey players and especially referees have some thin gear that hardens on impact. I think something like that would be more useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is always this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    When a motorized piece of metal of 1.2 tons hits you from behind at 35mph you can wave good bye to all of your protections. Road rash may be the last of my concern and I would gladly sign for that. A close call with an high speeding idiot last week has my 9K Euro worth of 4 months old Colnago C64 collecting dust. I'm moving to gravel big time now,my 3 years old boy loves to wrestle and play with his dad..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Maybe you should re evaluate your riding a bike. It may be too much for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    When a motorized piece of metal of 1.2 tons hits you from behind at 35mph you can wave good bye to all of your protections. Road rash may be the last of my concern and I would gladly sign for that. A close call with an high speeding idiot last week has my 9K Euro worth of 4 months old Colnago C64 collecting dust. I'm moving to gravel big time now,my 3 years old boy loves to wrestle and play with his dad..
    I'm with you. I got hit a couple of years ago. Spent 3 months in a chair and left me with a right shoulder that isn't much good for anything other than propping myself up on a bike. I get very little pleasure riding in the road any more. Organized rides with significant numbers are fine, but 90% of my 9000 miles per year are on gravel roads and trails. I really enjoy it.

Opinions on this from anyone who hasn't had this experience are invalid to me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Maybe you should re evaluate your riding a bike. It may be too much for you.
    perhaps a vigorous game of chess?
    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I got hit last year. Body armor is not the answer. Assuming you're riding for pleasure / exercise and not for a commute, my suggestions:
    1. Take up gravel and mountain biking. There's a reason gravel is increasingly popular.
    2. If you want to ride on the road, join a group. There's safety in numbers.
    3. Ride at times and on roads where there's not a lot of traffic.

Other than that, there's really not much you can do. Riding on the road is has an inherent level of danger that's not going to go away. If you need to ride on the road alone, bright clothing, good lights, defensive riding, situational awareness etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In case of a direct hit car to cyclists probably even full motorcycle leathers would not be enough.

But then there are those minor accidents (which are more frequent). For example, when one guy touches the wheel of somebody else and at 20 mph there is a group crash that ends with 2 broken collarbones. Last year we had one car touching very little one of our guys at 20 mph. Standard road crash. Broken hip. 8 months recovery.

I have noticed that in the old guy group almost any crash results into a fracture. I am sure younger guys would have walked away with only road rash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    They give me headaches and annoy the crap out of me.
    I don't hit the streets without one. I've used Sprintech mirrors for a couple years.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Dro...-rL&ref=plSrch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12