Oct 2017

PSA: If you ride on a trainer...

Alloy Bars?

Heavy sweater?

Check your bars!

This was posted on the Zwift Riders faceook page by Frederic Gagné‎

handelbar sweat.jpg

Rub it............
    I'm a heavy sweater, but have carbon bars and try to drape a small towel over the front end.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    That's one application where carbon bars would be a better choice than aluminum.

I've seen posts before here and elsewhere with similar things occurring so it must be happening more frequently than is actually being reported.

Makes me wonder whether there could be a spray or brush-on protective coating for aluminum bars to prevent that failure. Or as frdandc suggested, draping a towel over the bars.

Pack Fodder.
    That sort of corrosion doesn't happen overnight. That's just a sign of neglect.

Aluminum bars that are painted or anodized don't corrode like that unless it has been scraped off. This usually happens at the steel shifter clamp. Dissimilar metals and salt water left unattended for extended periods kinda react this way. Periodic replacement of bar tape and a modest amount of cleaning goes a long way towards preventing this. I can't imagine how nasty that bar tape must have been.

Poor bike.
    Last edited by Alaska Mike; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Holy cow, that guy must have been related to those creatures from the Alien movies

RoadBikeReview Member
    used to ride with a guy that was the most prolific sweater I've ever seen...

was impossible to draft him, you'd get soaked from the torrent of perspiration coming off.

he totally destroyed a fairly decent steel bike by using it on a stationary trainer.

played basketball with him a few times...if he posted up in the paint for more than a few seconds, there was a puddle around him.

freakish...possibly a medical condition, dunno.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    That's one application where carbon bars would be a better choice than aluminum.

I've seen posts before here and elsewhere with similar things occurring so it must be happening more frequently than is actually being reported.

Makes me wonder whether there could be a spray or brush-on protective coating for aluminum bars to prevent that failure. Or as frdandc suggested, draping a towel over the bars.
    Good point...

Maybe the one time I might consider some cheap aliexpress carbon bars would be on a dedicated trainer bike. No sense in spending big money on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Alloy Bars?

Heavy sweater?

Check your bars!
    No way I have time to check all the bars I patronize and I never wear heavy sweaters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's just simply outright disgusting, for god sake man... go clean your bike!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    That sort of corrosion doesn't happen overnight. That's just a sign of neglect.

Aluminum bars that are painted or anodized don't corrode like that unless it has been scraped off. This usually happens at the steel shifter clamp. Dissimilar metals and salt water left unattended for extended periods kinda react this way. Periodic replacement of bar tape and a modest amount of cleaning goes a long way towards preventing this. I can't imagine how nasty that bar tape must have been.

Poor bike.
    Agree that this is a sign of neglect/not checking/cleaning your bike. The reality of painted Al bars is that there are numerous pinholes and they still corrode. The old style anodized bars did not corrode like this unless scored or scratched, but when bars became "black" to follow fashion, the corrosion issue raised its head. I'm speaking from personal experience. Never had an issue with lever clamps on anodized bars. Painted (or whatever the black coating was) bars lasted 30-50K miles for me. I have switched to CF bars for this reason.

Banned forever.....or not
    I never wear a heavy sweater when I'm on the trainer…….That's just crazy...….
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I prefer sweater puppies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Holy Crap! Maybe this person should have cleaned their bike once in a while. Yeah I think carbon bars might have prevented this from happening. Might have to look into some carbon bars. I do sweat a bit. Don't think it is as much as this.
    Might have a look at A bike shop for new bars. (dang and my bars are fairly new. Daughter bought them for me for my birthday.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Carbon bars are very unnecessary (but feel free to buy them if you want).

Just keep an eye on your hardware, and clean the bike after rides.

Use of a good corrosion preventative on bolts and clamps and such, and good general maintenance habits will prevent your stuff from corroding.

The picture above is obviously a very extreme example of someone who was sweating a lot on their trainer, letting the sweat soak into the bar tape, and never doing anything about it. That along with poorly or untreated coating on the bars.

I use Boeshield T-9 on my bikes. A drip on bolt heads on the stem/bars, and a wipe down with it ever few weeks. I have an alloy BMC Gran Fondo w/alloy bar/stem that's been my dedicated trainer bike for three years and countless hours of Zwifting, and it still looks brand new.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    used to ride with a guy that was the most prolific sweater I've ever seen...

was impossible to draft him, you'd get soaked from the torrent of perspiration coming off.

he totally destroyed a fairly decent steel bike by using it on a stationary trainer.

played basketball with him a few times...if he posted up in the paint for more than a few seconds, there was a puddle around him.

freakish...possibly a medical condition, dunno.
    I can imagine the cloud of stench that must have surrounded this guy.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein