Pump Head Gasket
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Pump Head Gasket

Yesterday I flatted. When I installed the new tube, I began pumping with my Silca frame pump. (it has a campi head.) After about 20 strokes, air started coming out of the head, rather than into the tube. I know that they have not made Campi heads for many years. Can anyone think of a way that I can find a replacement gasket for this head. Though it has sentimental value for me, I would consider replacing it with a different pump. Recommendations would be appreciated.

What the Hell is going on

Home Despot

Are you talking about the gasket that's between the head and the pump? If so, I found a replacement rubber washers at Home Depot. They are a little thinner than the original but it works.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Pump Gasket

I am referring to the gasket in which the valve is inserted.

Jun 2004

I hate to ask the obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by daniell
    I am referring to the gasket in which the valve is inserted.
    I hate to ask the obvious. But I am assuming you're familiar with that Google thing right?

Did you check their website perchance?

http://www.silcapompe.it/adaptors_en.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

The Obvious

As I mentioned, it is not a Silca head, it is a Campi head.

Chili hed & old bike fixr

If

Quote Originally Posted by daniell
    As I mentioned, it is not a Silca head, it is a Campi head.
    it is the Head that has the two legs, I have a pair of the rubber tips for the legs but no sealing washer, Sorry! At least I checked for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Campi Pump Gasket

It is the gasket that the valve goes into.
    I think that it would be better jutst to buy a new pump;
    I am thinking of the Blackburn frame fit pump

Eraser Head

Is this the type of pump head you have? If so, any bike shop worth it's weight in salt should have a replacement basket for you. They're cheap. I usually buy a couple (just in case).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Gasket

Thats the campi head that I have. Next week I will remove the head, and check out different bike stores.

Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    Is this the type of pump head you have? If so, any bike shop worth it's weight in salt should have a replacement basket for you. They're cheap. I usually buy a couple (just in case).
    What does the inner rubber part look like? You could probably modify a silca part to fit, Or I might have one but don't know what it looks like. I bet those heads have not been available other than NOS for 20 years.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    What does the inner rubber part look like?
    Except for the chamfered top edge, it's a straight-sided rubber plug, 15 mm diameter x 6.4 mm thick, with a 5 mm diameter, top-chamfered hole. If you can't get the Campagnolo-embossed original gasket, I'd try Lowe's or Home Despots "Specialty Fasteners" section, in the "rubber plugs, stoppers, washers, spacers" drawers. Might have to drill a 5 mm hole, but that's no biggie.

Packing a thin washer on top of the gasket and screwing down the hold-down nut tightly will compress the gasket some more. With the rubber nowhere else to go, the worn-out hole sometimes closes up enough to be good for another 10 years of Silca Impero pumping pleasure. Worth a try.
    Last edited by wim; 06-17-2007 at 03:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    Except for the chamfered top edge, it's a straight-sided rubber plug, 15 mm diameter x 6.4 mm thick, with a 5 mm diameter, top-chamfered hole. If you can't get the Campagnolo-embossed original gasket, I'd try Lowe's or Home Despots "Specialty Fasteners" section, in the "rubber plugs, stoppers, washers, spacers" drawers. Might have to drill a 5 mm hole, but that's no biggie.

Packing a thin washer on top of the gasket and screwing down the hold-down nut tightly will compress the gasket some more. With the rubber nowhere else to go, the worn-out hole sometimes closes up enough to be good for another 10 years of Silca Impero pumping pleasure. Worth a try.
    The gasket in my old Campy pump heads actually have a reduced diameter at the bottom, which I think your picture shows. The rubber sits in the female side of the pump head, and the shoulder of the larger diameter section keeps it from just falling into the head. That's how mine are, anyway. And they are larger diameter than the standard Silca gaskets. Short of finding one at a bike shop, I would agree that a hardware store would be the place to start, and you could shape whatever you found so it would fit the Campy head.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

20 years, no parole.

The gasket in my old Campy pump heads actually have a reduced diameter at the bottom, which I think your picture shows
    My gasket does have the slightly reduced diameter at the bottom you observed. But I'm almost sure that in my case it's just an imprint of twenty years of confinement in the 1.8 mm deep part of the pump head. I think with the hold-down nut (or collar) tightened and then re-tightened many times, the upper part of the gasket expanded slowly over the years to fill the slightly larger diameter of that hold-down nut. With my pump head, the gasket has no way to fall into the head further than 1.8 mm because it rests on the pressed-in washer.

Too bad about the rust Twenty years of rain, sweat and a plethora of useless, but corrosive, "sports drinks."
    Last edited by wim; 06-17-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks for the pictures and the trip in THE GOBACK Machine. Actually, I hated Silca frame pumps back then and nothing has changed my mind yet.

True dat

Quote Originally Posted by curlybike
    Thanks for the pictures and the trip in THE GOBACK Machine. Actually, I hated Silca frame pumps back then and nothing has changed my mind yet.
    Even now they are light weight, rock solid, 10x better than any mini pump, and you can paint them to match any color scheme. The only down side is the inability to reach pressures above 80psi. But which would you rather have when you flat miles away from home? An 80psi pump or none at all?

Silca Impero=piece of mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Careful observation

Quote Originally Posted by wim
    My gasket does have the slightly reduced diameter at the bottom you observed. But I'm almost sure that in my case it's just an imprint of twenty years of confinement in the 1.8 mm deep part of the pump head.
    You are absolutely, 100% right! I wasn't thinking about that when I took apart a Campy pump head, and just saw that indentation. I took two of them apart, and your description of the situation is right. My bad!