Purchased pre owned carbon bike. What to look for?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Purchased pre owned carbon bike. What to look for?

Hey guy. Purchased a bianchi Sempre pro from 2016 pre owned. Did the best I could to inspect at time of purchase for cracks etc. Did the tap test on frame with thorough visual inspection, took off stem and looked at steer tube. Everything looked pretty good. Took it for a ride the other day and it was decently stiff. From what I understand the bike wasn’t used a whole lot. There are a few cosmetic scratches.

Anything else I should be paying attention to?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neophyte
    Did you keep the Impulso? Don't be in a hurry to get rid of it if you didn't, it can be nice to have two bikes if you can afford the luxury.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Did you keep the Impulso? Don't be in a hurry to get rid of it if you didn't, it can be nice to have two bikes if you can afford the luxury.
    Keeping it for now. Might see if there’s enough clearance for a gravel tire and use it as a more all around / gravel bike!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Nice bike. Don't crash it. Not sure what decently stiff means or what difference it makes. Check the brake pads, only use what is approved for the wheels or you may heat damage them. Don't drag the rear brake on descents or you may heat damage them. Don't lean the frame against anything, use the rear wheel. Carbon frames are tremendously strong for loads encountered when riding but if you bang the side of a tube against something hard you'll crack the frame. Be nice to it.
    ETA: There is a 'bikes/frames/forks' section for posts like this. Don't clog up GD w/ every post.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:39 PM.
    #promechaniclife

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe some new bar tape.

Nice looking bike. I like the Bianchi celeste color. It's got tradition and history.

Carbon fiber is very strong stuff, I'm sure its OK. Most people on this forum are riding used carbon fiber bikes. I've got one that's almost 20 years old that I still ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    shave your legs, you look like a gorilla, - kidding!!! I'm more hairy than you, and the only guy (or two) at the cyclocross races with unshaved legs, troll the serious road guys by going natural, it irritates them.
    That's a really great looking bike!, congrats!
    Like somebody else said, check your brake pads, and make sure the previous owner put carbon specific pads on there, - probably just buy new carbon rim pads because your current pads are probably hard from age. I change mine once a year (or more) just to keep from wearing my carbon rims with old/hard pads.
    Buy a chain wear tool if you don't already have one, replace your chain before it wears out the cassette. Sometimes a new looking bike can have more chain wear than you might guess, so it's good to keep an eye on it, chains are cheap, cassettes not so much.

Neophyte
    You might want a chain catcher as well. Nothing quite as fun as dropping your chain having it wrap around your bottom bracket area and scar the frame.

Even though this should almost never happen, it's a small price to pay to prevent damage just in case.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPacNW View Post
    Buy a chain wear tool if you don't already have one, replace your chain before it wears out the cassette.
    A ruler? A 12" ruler is the most accurate way of measuring chain wear.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    A ruler? A 12" ruler is the most accurate way of measuring chain wear.
    ^^^This.^^^

And no, JimPacNW, you don't just change a chain routinely without a reason. If it aint worn, don't replace it. My last chain lasted 6,000 miles and the only reason I replaced it was because it had a stiff link I could not work out. The chain had no measureable wear.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It looks great. Just enjoy riding it I say. If you are nervous, have your favorite shop look it over and perform a tuneup. Nice find man.