Putting Your Phone in Your Jersey Pocket - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    My point was not to be a "fear monger", but to error on the side of caution for almost no change in your daily lifestyle (i.e., putting your phone in your bike big vs. your pocket shouldn't ruin your day.)
    I have one of the smallest cell phones available. If I had to get a saddle bag large enough to store it in... THAT would ruin my day.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're "erring on the side of caution"? Why are you a cyclist? If you spent 1/2 the time researching cycling injuries and deaths vs. cell phone deaths... I bet you'd be worried about other things.

You do know we're not getting out of here alive... right?

Workin' for the Man
    I keep mine in the 1/2 frame bag. I couldn't care less about how heavy the road bike is; I'm not racing. Except in the cold half of the year -- the phone's in a plastic sandwich bag in the center jersey pocket inside of the jacket to keep the battery warm and to prevent condensation on it when I get inside.
    If you would please put your input underneath mine, that would be great. -- Steelflex

Darling of The Lounge
    Keep your phone in a saddle bag and wrap your nads in aluminum foil: problem solved.

[REDACTED]
    Health implications aside, carrying your phone in your jersey pocket is just plain stupid as it's too easy to lose there, unless it's a zip-up pocket. I carry mine in my saddle bag.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Health implications aside, carrying your phone in your jersey pocket is just plain stupid as it's too easy to lose there, unless it's a zip-up pocket.
    After 40,000-50,000 miles of carrying my phone in my pocket, sans zip up, and I've never lost my phone. Not even one close call. Color me plain stupid

Practically everyone I ride with does as well. I've never seen anyone lose their phone. Plain stupid.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Health implications aside, carrying your phone in your jersey pocket is just plain stupid as it's too easy to lose there, unless it's a zip-up pocket. I carry mine in my saddle bag.
    How baggy are your jerseys, and how giant are the phones you carry? Snug race fit jerseys--a phone ain't coming out.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    nah, a zip-up pocket is not needed. this is just another of your unfounded sky-is-falling posts...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't care where it is, you ain't answering it 99% of the time. I just like it in my jersey cause I can silence the ringer.
    I have never heard of losing a phone from a jersey pocket.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    After 40,000-50,000 miles of carrying my phone in my pocket, sans zip up, and I've never lost my phone. Not even one close call. Color me plain stupid

Practically everyone I ride with does as well. I've never seen anyone lose their phone. Plain stupid.
    Yeah, I mean less miles, but same idea, my phone is in the same pocket every ride. That pocket is shared with warmers and the like often and I’ve never lost or dropped or damaged my phone. As for sweat and temps, I don’t know what y’all experience but I do nothing, not even a cell phone case and my four year old iPhone works perfectly. Froze it, cooked it, soaked it. Fine. My last iPhone even got landed on twice and it was fine.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    It's all fun and games until the phone's radio waves burn a hole in your pocket and then it falls out.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    How baggy are your jerseys, and how giant are the phones you carry? Snug race fit jerseys--a phone ain't coming out.
    Point taken. I wear loose fitting club-fit jerseys and I have a large phone. It just feels awkward to carry it in my pocket. Saddle bag works better. Only thing I carry in my jersey pocket is a snot rag.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I only carry my phone in case I have an accident or mechanical I can't take care of myself. So I have no issue with turning off my phone when it is in my pocket. Thanks OP for the heads up. I also try to only use my speaker instead of having it up against my head...when and where possible.

Never Give Up!
    Had buddy of mine crash onto his shoulder and rolled over a few times, the phone never left his jersey pocket. Stayed in place where he left it!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

xxl
    I have a question for those of you who carry your cellphones in a saddle bag: How can you reach your phone to text while you're riding?

(Full disclosure: I carry mine in my jersey pocket).
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Had buddy of mine crash onto his shoulder and rolled over a few times, the phone never left his jersey pocket. Stayed in place where he left it!
    He probably crashed from the tumor...they can affect your balance.

Never Give Up!
    Actually not a funny topic, he crashed because of car not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign when my buddy had the right of way and the car rolled through to on coming traffic and clipped his rear tire... broke two fingers, his wrist and collarbone.

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Sorry, I apologize.

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawker12 View Post
    Sorry, I apologize.

2007 IRONHORSE HT

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I have a question for those of you who carry your cellphones in a saddle bag: How can you reach your phone to text while you're riding?
    Ha! If anybody calls, texts or otherwise tries to communicate with me while I'm on a ride, it can wait until the next stop. WTF did we do before we had these things to "stay connected" at all times?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    WTF did we do before we had these things to "stay connected" at all times?
    You are asking a very penetrating question. Too penetrating perhaps. Something that's not allowed these days...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Ha! If anybody calls, texts or otherwise tries to communicate with me while I'm on a ride, it can wait until the next stop. WTF did we do before we had these things to "stay connected" at all times?

Hope and pray that on that deserted road with little traffic...someone....anyone, even Hannibal Lecter... would stop when your patch-kit and spare tube failed you.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Can you tell when a phone call or text come through? I don't know if I received a call or text unless I physically check, which I don't do while riding.

I know we all like to talk about the 'good ole days,' but times have changed. You have a whole lot more pissed off drivers who hate us cyclists. Phones come in handy for an emergency situation vs. not having any way of communicating like back in the day. I won't go out without my phone for that alone, plus someone in the group may get sick or injured.

xxl

I'm talking about when you want to be sending people texts, such as "Wow, what an awesome ride I'm on," or "Damn, that truck is getting really clo--"

Ya know, like how people do when they're driving.

(Srsly, never text while driving, or riding).
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I'm talking about when you want to be sending people texts, such as "Wow, what an awesome ride I'm on," or "Damn, that truck is getting really clo--".

Cyclists should mount their phones on their handlebars, so they can take their eyes off the road to read incoming texts. After all, it's important to respond to messages in a timely fashion or loved ones will get worried.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast