Quebec City Road Cycling

Printable View

• 04-13-2004
    janzen
    Quebec City Road Cycling
    Bonjour, I'll be visiting Quebec in late June and I hope to bring my bike. Are there any riders out there who can suggest good road rides in Quebec City? I'll be staying somewhere around Chateau Frontenac and will not have access to a car.

Thanks
  • 04-13-2004
    tempeteOntheRoad
    trips around Quebec city
    Fisrt: you'll be staying right where it's at: Old Quebec. That is excellent my friend!

I am from (and live in) Montreal, so I am less familiar with Quebec City. However; DO take your bike with you if you can; The park of the Plaines D'Abraham and the citadelle (where Chateau Frontenanc is) is good enough for a quick spin and even a few steep hill intervals!

Last time I was there, There was a bike shop in this area, you can get easy direction to ride away along the river to the EAST and make it to the Montmorency Falls and then to the Ile D'Orlean. Now you are talking already a longer ride, an absolute must. From there you can hop on the Ile DOrlean and ride it around or across. Most beautifull scenerie and small villages to stop by and refuel.

You could even ride past the Ile on the 138 road, even if it is a little bit crowded by trafic at times; but the side is paved and wide... To make it to Mont Ste Anne. Now you get climbing! Côte des sept crans (hill of the seven notches

any way: start by this:

http://www.routeverte.com/ang/travel...so?code=quebec

and do visit this one:

http://www.velo.qc.ca/english/home.lasso

Quebec City region and Mont St-Anne is home ot the eastern canadian cross country skying center and there are plenty of athletes around: It's a mountain bike mecca (Ste Anne Ski mountain) and has MTB trails forever! Roads are great too, the region is full of long, long climbs and fast descents.

Enjoy!

tempete.
  • 04-13-2004
    janzen
    Thanks tempete
    Thanks for the reply tempete. I'm from Calgary, and because of the good info, I think this trip will be a must! I'll try to bring a couple of friends along with my climbing gears. I've already ordered the book about the "route verte".

Jim
  • 04-14-2004
    tempeteOntheRoad
    All right!
    I'm sure you can also book a B&B right in the old Québec that will accomodate cyclists, if they are not cyclist enthusiasts themselves. Not that Chateau Frontenac is'nt great (it is a Banf Spring class hotel...) but there cerainly is a definite charm in those smaller hotels, located in the small euro like streets. Fist time in Quebec? You'll love it.

My wife arrived in Canada (born Polish, emigrated to New-Zealand as a teen, then here 4 years ago), and visiting Quebec City is probably the move that made her stay in Canada! We do enjoy a simple weekend in a Bed and Breakfast in the old town once in a while. History, architecture, shopping, views on the opening river. A touristic place, but with real people living right there, you know? I'm selling it to myself now! I want to go!!!!

Did you check "Le Grand Tour" on those web sites? I'm sure they mention it; every year ther is this week long organised Tour of a region of Quebec, with various levels of support/prices. It is pretty challenging since you can go your own rythm and difficult loops are added for the strongest. My father has done all of them since it started. My wish is to do at least one of those tours.

If you coulds spend a few days in Montreal: chech if you can time your stay with the Tour de l'Ile... I believe it's the largest bike event in the world (apart from any other day in China!). But I've dona a few of those, just for the fun of owning the city for a day along with 40 000 other cyclists. More of a family ride, but you can always manage to speed a bit, or register for the "fast train" (early start for the speedsters, but still controlled at the front).

I hope you can find a contact in Quebec City, because riding really is great in the surroundings, not to mention that it is a great way to visit the City itself (it has some very steep narrow streets, let it be known!). Going north to a place like St-Raymond, Stoneham should be possible right from downtown through streets all the way to the "villages" and country side.

Like Calgary, nature is just outside the city limit. Very similar size places. Our nearby mountains are just older and rounder...
  • 04-14-2004
    Frith
    off topic.
    Hey Tempete,
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but are there any B&B's you can recommend? My Girlfriend and I are also planning on visiting QC this summer for an extended weekend trip. What does one genarally cost per night?
    thanks.
  • 04-14-2004
    janzen
    Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society
    Hi Tempete, I'll be in Quebec for the CAS meeting from June 18 -22. We usually attend meetings in the AM and ride PM. Unfortunately Montreal will not be on the agenda. My family and I were in Quebec a year ago (early spring) and had a great time, but it was definitely still too cold for much road riding. Although I do ride in Calgary year round. I'll look for a bike-friendly B&B or suite in the old city. My usual concern will be getting from the downtown core to the outskirts where the real riding begins.

If any other anesthesiologists are attending this meeting (or any other riders for that matter in the area) and are interested in road rides during these dates, please contact me.

Jim
  • 04-14-2004
    tempeteOntheRoad
    BandB in Québec
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frith
    Hey Tempete,
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but are there any B&B's you can recommend? My Girlfriend and I are also planning on visiting QC this summer for an extended weekend trip. What does one genarally cost per night?
    thanks.

No worries... I'm very happy when somebody shows interest in my province!

I would feel bad to recommend something without knowing the person, their needs or expectations. I am a simple person who likes a "familial" feeling, or the independance of renting a little house, compared to the comfort of an "all out" serviced hotel...

Janzen mentions he will not have a car: his idea of staying downtown within the walls of the old city citadelle is most excellent.

If you, on the other hand have access to a car while in Québec city; consider booking a room in a B&B on Ile d'Orléan: you'll be 15 minutes away from downtown, with fine diner at hand either on the island or intown. You'll be out of the trafic if you want to push a quick drive on road 138 east to Baie-St-Paul or Cap Tourmente, passed Mont-Ste Anne. A very nice drive.

Look up (Google?) those words; most site have english translations. Call them, there will ALWAYS be somebody who speaks english to help. Some people have this idea that the french fact means a complete other world... If it can be true of some encounters with locals (very few) who will not speak english or the fact of signs written in french only, I assure you people will be very accomodating.

But I would definitely insist in my research on a place in the Haute Ville, Old Quebec.

Like this: http://www.bbcanada.com/7787.html

on Ile d'orlean http://www.quebecweb.com/fradet/forfaitsa.htm
    ..... (I am not recomending this place, or saying it's not nice; this is just an example...) (there are many others, because there are many villages on the Island... a view on the south shore is always good..)

To give you an idea of prices and places: you'll have to do the research!

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/en/accueil/index.shtml

http://www.tourisme.gouv.qc.ca/angla.../recherche.asp

Sorry I cannot be more specific, I don't think it would help if I sent you the wrong way...

Plus, like I said, I go to Quebec as a tourist myself. I am just a french Montrealer...!!!
  • 04-14-2004
    BaadDawg
    I've driven a car around I'sle d'Orleans and its really beautiful. Biking around it would be perfect.